Matt Barkley Back? (Yep! deal not yet known)

DrDawkinstein

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm speculating here, but I follow Barkley and his wife on Instagram and they were on vacation this past week. I'm guessing he'll fly in Sunday or Monday and that's what beane is saying early next week

Side note, I'm not sure why people don't like bringing him back. He knows the playbook and has a great relationship with allen. We're not gonna find another trubisky to be back up again. The available qbs out there are probably no better or worse than Barkley. I've seen some people mention Fitz and Dalton, but seriously do you guys really think they are any better than what barkley offers? I mean I love Fitz as much as the next guy, but cmon he's had ONE good season since he was a bill (with the jets). I wouldn't be mad if they signed fitz but 6 half one dozen or another 

yes I think Fitz, Mariotta, and Brisett offer a better chance to win games. 

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Seemed to be better for Josh's mental game than Mitch. Knowing nothing real of the situation.

That's always the best speculation in my book!   Much more fun that way.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I missed his wife

uh... Yea-ah!   Matt is livin' the good life for sure.

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

So are Beasley and Star - Rap and Blues band.

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Wouldn’t be super shocked to see Jake Fromm back as well. 

I think he demanded a trade when Giants signed Webb.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes! The party planner is back! His wife was the missing piece. Chemistry took a nose dive without her. 

Webb being gone will be more of an impact than Barkley being gone last year.

3 hours ago, 947 said:

Really hoping for Mariota. If Josh missed time, Barkley probably can't win a game for us, unless we're playing a bottom feeder.

we got Tirbusky for 2.5M....as our backup QB.    Barkley is probably in the same range.   Recent backup QB jobs like Bridgewater signed is about $10M. 

The best chance might be for the Panthers to release Darnold and he joins as a 1 year backup to Allen to rejuvenate his career.

3 hours ago, Mikie's Bills said:

Any strong armed rookie QBs available in like the 5th round this year? Need to develop a cheap back-up that can at least throw a 10 yard out

I'm hoping on a "dark horse" small school/sleeper rookie QB.  Late Day 3 or UDFA.  If he has something he could be on PS for a year.

Not a backup for this year but wouldn't it be great to have a 'Josh clone" as backup for years to come.

Cole Kelley WE Louisiana.  6'7" 245#.  Has the same "weaknesses" that Josh had coming out.  I laugh at the similarities in his highlights.

https://nflsapient.com/2022/02/15/nfl-draft-sleeper-small-school-prospects-qb-cole-kelley/

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not sure why everyone is freaking out about the backup QB. Spending a lot of money in free agency means we have to make sacrifices somewhere on the roster. Backup QB is a logical spot for that. All the moves we've made only matter if Allen stays healthy.

Trubisky was a luxury at backup.  Doesn’t work that way in the NFL.

Beane and Co. know how to build a roster and won’t toss a scrub behind Josh.  It’ll be some one with ability who comes at a good price and would give the Bills a chance in case of short term emergency.  I’d be very surprised if Barkley is number two. 

16 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'm speculating here, but I follow Barkley and his wife on Instagram and they were on vacation this past week. I'm guessing he'll fly in Sunday or Monday and that's what beane is saying early next week

Side note, I'm not sure why people don't like bringing him back. He knows the playbook and has a great relationship with allen. We're not gonna find another trubisky to be back up again. The available qbs out there are probably no better or worse than Barkley. I've seen some people mention Fitz and Dalton, but seriously do you guys really think they are any better than what barkley offers? I mean I love Fitz as much as the next guy, but cmon he's had ONE good season since he was a bill (with the jets). I wouldn't be mad if they signed fitz but 6 half one dozen or another 

Is this a serious question?

Fitz has thrown for 21,000 yards, 127 TDs in 79 starts on a bunch of crappy teams since he left the Bills.   

Barkley's entire career has been a complete zero--or worse.

There's is absolutely nothing you can point to in order to justify claiming Fitz and Barkley are even similar in any way.  He's really an awful QB.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I remember the day Barkley lit up the Jets in NJ in 2018 when Josh was injured and the next day half the board wanted him to start the rest of the year.  

He may be a journeyman, but there are worse backups out there & the better backups who were former starters cost a lot more money.  

19 hours ago, njbuff said:

The way I look at it is that the Bills are done if they lost Josh anyways, no matter who the back up is.

The Bills have a defense led by Von freaking Miller. They could keep us close in games with even the best. In those situations we only need a serviceable QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.