Deshaun Watson to Browns - $230 million guaranteed

Draconator

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I remember, they had a bunch of other masseuses come forward to defend him when it initially came out. Man that was ***** dumb, all it really did was make the number he'd seen even more ridiculous.

• Agree 4

39 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I remember, they had a bunch of other masseuses come forward to defend him when it initially came out. Man that was ***** dumb, all it really did was make the number he'd seen even more ridiculous.

That’s right, it ended up adding up to like 40+

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

One of the dumbest legal strategies of all time, now looking dumber every day…

Two of the women who are suing NFL quarterback Deshaun Watson amended their lawsuits this week to add claims of negligence and gross negligence, arguing that Watson knew of his own sexual proclivities in massage sessionsbut failed to take precautions to prevent a reoccurrence of them.

The attorney for the 22 women, Tony Buzbee, told USA TODAY Sports Thursday that more lawsuits will be adding causes of action for negligence and gross negligence.

"Deshaun Watson has denied he acted intentionally; we believe strongly that we will prove he did," Buzbee said. "We have also added a claim for negligence allowing a jury to assess liability for unreasonable and imprudent conduct as well. This claim is just another through which the jury can assess liability and damages against him. We will likely add this claim for most of the cases, although perhaps not all."

Almost all of the lawsuits otherwise have claims of civil assault and emotional distress against Watson. Two others have sexual assault claims.

Purely from the perspective of a law geek the negligence thing is very interesting. That would appear on the face of it extremely difficult to prove. In order for someone to liable in negligence you must first be able to prove that they had, under the law, a duty of care to the plaintiff that they breached. While it is well established that a service provider has an implicit duty of care to a service user in the discharging of that service provision, in the case the situation is flipped. The attorney for the plaintiffs is going to have to demonstrate that, in law, the service user (i.e. Watson) had a duty of care to the person he was paying to provide a service. I will be interested to see how that gets argued. Presumably the argument they will run is that the duty goes with the power dynamic and thereby in this relationship Watson owed that duty to the massage therapists. I am not an expert in US jurisprudence but certainly to argue that successfully in a civil negligence case in the UK would be novel. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Purely from the perspective of a law geek the negligence thing is very interesting. That would appear on the face of it extremely difficult to prove. In order for someone to liable in negligence you must first be able to prove that they had, under the law, a duty of care to the plaintiff that they breached. While it is well established that a service provider has an implicit duty of care to a service user in the discharging of that service provision, in the case the situation is flipped. The attorney for the plaintiffs is going to have to demonstrate that, in law, the service user (i.e. Watson) had a duty of care to the person he was paying to provide a service. I will be interested to see how that gets argued. Presumably the argument they will run is that the duty goes with the power dynamic and thereby in this relationship Watson owed that duty to the massage therapists. I am not an expert in US jurisprudence but certainly to argue that successfully in a civil negligence case in the UK would be novel. 

Great point.  Is receiving a massage "performing an act"?

It way hinge on concepts of social contract.  Also the "foreseeability" would likely be the controlling factor.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was Watson that wanted to discharge his service provision a little too often and that led to all of this.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Sorta want to see Baker become a top 5 QB after this 

I was discussing with someone even if you take away the PR problems with this move do you actually expect Watson to be a top 5 QB in the next two seasons? I think Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers will almost certainly be better and I would expect Herbert, Burrows, Stafford and Dak to be better for the next two years most likely. The next group is tightly bunched so I would not even state he is guaranteed to be top 10. This move will only pay off if Browns win SB.

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was discussing with someone even if you take away the PR problems with this move do you actually expect Watson to be a top 5 QB in the next two seasons? I think Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers will almost certainly be better and I would expect Herbert, Burrows, Stafford and Dak to be better for the next two years most likely. The next group is tightly bunched so I would not even state he is guaranteed to be top 10. This move will only pay off if Browns win SB.

Anything other than a Superbowl with leave some Brown and stinky on their faces.

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.