Deshaun Watson to Browns - $230 million guaranteed

Draconator

7 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This. Not only are they guaranteeing him Mahomes/Allen type of money (and still think he's not close to being in the same class), they are basically saying they don't give a ***** about the allegations or any pending suspensions.

Also remember this is a guy that signed a guaranteed contract already with another team and decided he didn't want to play for them anymore (likely because of said allegations and because that team was entering a full blown rebuilding mode).

Funny too how Watson magically changed his mind about going to Cleveland once the contract became 'guaranteed' because obviously other teams were smart of enough to want contingencies.

Either way karma has a way of sorting itself out and don't be surprised if he tears an ACL especially after not playing football in so long by the time he sees the field again.

AND, there are probably guys on his new team that don't even want to play with him. AND you have legions of fans who will never root for him. 

I am trying really hard to respect due process of law as far as the allegations go, but holy hell, I don't know how you sign a guy for even the league minimum when these kinds of accusations are hanging over his head. There is at least a legitimate chance he is a full-blown compulsive predator. Why bet the whole team on it?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, skibum said:

AND, there are probably guys on his new team that don't even want to play with him. AND you have legions of fans who will never root for him.

I could be wrong, but I have the impression that the football locker room is a place where what happens outside of it matters less than you might think, and guys try to take each other how them find them in the locker room and on the field.

In the Rich Eisen clip above, he enthuses about what a nice humble self-effacing guy Watson is.  Jordan Palmer enthuses that his film study and mental preparation habits are "off the charts".  If that's the guy the teammates see, why wouldn't they want to play with him?

The fact is, he could be all of those things on the field and in the locker room, AND still possibly be a compulsive predator to women.

• Agree 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:55 PM, oldmanfan said:

He’ll need the extra money to pay off his victims.

Not in first year.  He is only get $1M salary first year so he will lose less money if suspended at start of season.

Browns are abetting his non-crimes.  I wonder if he does it again will they be able to cancel their guarantees.

They should hire Urban Meyer as a consultant since he knows Ohio (and target) so well.

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Could still be indicted apparently 

He’s in berea today taking his physical 

If there is truly no out or protection for the Browns in this contract they are the dumbest franchise in all professional sports history.

Either way the draft picks are gone and they aren't getting them back.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

If there is truly no out or protection for the Browns in this contract they are the dumbest franchise in all professional sports history.

Either way the draft picks are gone and they aren't getting them back.

I’m sure the cleveland doctors can still find a reason to fail him on his physical 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.