Deshaun Watson to Browns - $230 million guaranteed

Draconator

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

The Browns role as lovable loser is long gone.  Their all time face of the franchise, Jim Brown, is a rapist.  They erected a statue of him outside the stadium.  Their current face of the franchise is a sexual predator.  They just made him one of the highest paid players in league history and structured his deal in a way that allows him to avoid significant losses if he is suspended.  Have the Browns taken the dirtbag title from the Chiefs?! 

And OJ is on the Bills Wall of Fame.  Jim Brown was also never convicted.  I have no idea if he is truly guilty or not.  Same as Watson.  I don't love the the trade just because of everything involved and not knowing what is true.  Also, the whole contract thing is also crap.  I don't agree with that either.

18 minutes ago, cle23 said:

And OJ is on the Bills Wall of Fame.  Jim Brown was also never convicted.  I have no idea if he is truly guilty or not.  Same as Watson.  I don't love the the trade just because of everything involved and not knowing what is true.  Also, the whole contract thing is also crap.  I don't agree with that either.

OJ was never honored after his trial, and I doubt he will be part of the new stadium.  He was put on the wall in 1980.  Jim Brown's statue was put up in 2016, long after he was accused of multiple rapes and assaults on women.  I'm sure all of those incidents were just lying women or misunderstandings though.

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Because of Watsons actions … Not because he sucks at football. He’s a top 5 QB in the league.

I agree that he was top 5 before the 2021 season.  Not so sure anymore.  I’d take Herbert and burrow over him.  He’s not better than Allen, Mahomes or AR.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I hope they suspend him next season when his base salary is $46M, versus this season when it's only $1M.

yes that would be golden. Please let him play this year as he drags out the civil suits and NFL defers discipline. To 2023... 😁😁

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

Legal issues aside, Watson was a decent QB, but I was never quite as high on him as some others were and it remains to be seen how he performs after the time off. That being said, I never viewed him as a QB who would "worry me", (I guess is the term) few years ago and even less now considering the time off and no Hopkins etc.

I will acknowledge that he may be an improvement over Baker, but when there's anything starting to go half decent for them it seems Browns WILL FIND a way to ***** it up Lol.

I thought it was rough being a Bills fan, but ya got us beat. I feel bad for Browns fans sometimes because they have had opportunities and everything in place to be a really good team only to be ruined by management/FO/owner.....

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

This deal will be good for us.  Now the Ravens will be forced to pay 50+M for Lamar....It will hamstring their cap situation.   Similarly for Burrows and may be even Tannehill.

Just because Browns gave out this contract doesn't mean other teams will or be forced to. I'm guessing if Jackson asked for $50M Ravens would say No

54 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

OJ was never honored after his trial, and I doubt he will be part of the new stadium.  He was put on the wall in 1980.  Jim Brown's statue was put up in 2016, long after he was accused of multiple rapes and assaults on women.  I'm sure all of those incidents were just lying women or misunderstandings though.

Like I said, I have no idea if they are true or not.  If they are, he should be prosecuted fully, just like any other criminal/rapist/sex offender.  I'm not defending Brown or Watson, or anyone for that matter.  I have no idea if the allegations are true.  I see some weird circumstances from both sides in the Watson case.  I didn't want them to trade for him, but here we are.

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Like I said, I have no idea if they are true or not.  If they are, he should be prosecuted fully, just like any other criminal/rapist/sex offender.  I'm not defending Brown or Watson, or anyone for that matter.  I have no idea if the allegations are true.  I see some weird circumstances from both sides in the Watson case.  I didn't want them to trade for him, but here we are.

What's your thoughts on the way they handled the situation with Baker, among other things? I can imagine that many, or most Browns fans probably don't have much confidence in Browns management.

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

What's your thoughts on the way they handled the situation with Baker, among other things? I can imagine that many, or most Browns fans probably don't have much confidence in Browns management.

It all depends on what really happened.  The Browns FO says they talked to Baker around the time of the combine about possibly pursing an elite QB if one came available.  If they did, then I have no issue with that part of it.  If they didn't then that's not right.

Andrew Berry SEEMS to be pretty straightforward, so I would like to believe he is truthful, but Haslam is shady so who knows.

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

This deal will be good for us.  Now the Ravens will be forced to pay 50+M for Lamar....It will hamstring their cap situation.   Similarly for Burrows and may be even Tannehill.

I don’t think Baltimore pays Lamar. Good chance they might move on from him if he continues to regress and can’t stay healthy

8 hours ago, Doc said:

I hope they suspend him next season when his base salary is $46M, versus this season when it's only $1M.

Apparently the Browns are able to restructure it again next year if that happens so he again is never financially penalized. Jeremy Fowler reported this on radio today. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently the Browns are able to restructure it again next year if that happens so he again is never financially penalized. Jeremy Fowler reported this on radio today. 

Well, the “financial penalty” will be whatever Watson has to pay to settle the civil cases, so that’s probably why the league isn’t too concerned…

20 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

He’s still innocent until proven guilty in the USA.

Maybe I’m a Buffalonian who has stereotypes about how they do things in Texas, but the Houston ownership and Tony Buzbee seemed out to destroy Watson’s career in a very old fashioned way. 

The Browns don’t care if he’s guilty. They are a garbage organization desperate to overcome their own incompetence. 

I don’t blame Andrew berry and Kevin stefanski. This direction is coming from their owner.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

if, in some alternate reality,  Watson had become our QB yesterday,  i personally would have a hard time rooting for my Bills regardless if he wins or not.   at some point u need to take a stand.   the Browns,  in giving Watson the largest fully guaranteed contract ever,  lying about actually investigating the off field problems,  and making the contract so that Watson will barely pay for any suspension time,  have shown us that they are now a win at all cost franchise.  rewarding this person is low class.   i feel for the Browns fans that have morals. 

i honestly hope Baker plays well and rebounds on his next team.    not even a Baker fan,  f the Browns owners.

Watson is going to need every bit of the 230 mil to pay for his behavior.    

Edited by bigduke6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.