Deshaun Watson to Browns - $230 million guaranteed

Draconator

17 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Crazy that Baker Mayfield was not included in this trade.

Houston is left without a QB.

Cleveland probably won't get max value for trading Mayfield, since teams know they NEED to get rid of him now.

Mills is better than people think. He played well down the stretch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Your friend can use Roethlisberger as a use case for best case scenario for Watson. Stay out of trouble, win a Superbowl (or two), donate to some charities, get married and have some cute kids, have a long solid career, and most people will forget how much of a dirtbag you were in your 20's. Just another dumb kid right? How ironic that Cleveland is turning into the one thing they hate the most...the Steelers!

And they do say that about Ben.  The difference there with the Steelers is they drafted him and then he had his issues. So the decision was whether to continue to support him or not. And it was two girls (not that it’s better but it is a difference). Here the organization willfully dumped their franchise Qb for a guy with 22 pending lawsuits and expect the fan base to lap it up because now they might (MIGHT) be able to compete with the more talented QBs in the division and conference. Some fans will and some wont. The fan base is divided at the moment and i won’t  shame any browns fan who is familiar with this case and can’t stomach what’s going on. 

No, the browns don’t know whether he’s guilty. They also very clearly do not care. And that’s the issue. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

I don't mind the current contracts that come with some guarantee...I think they should but not entire contract...look at baseball...guys get big money and on injured list for sore calves for half the season

I don't wish injury to anyone... but...it would be a shame if Watson had a Bo Jackson type injury and then Cleveland was paying someone $47 mil per year to sit at home. 5 years is a long time. This guy is a few more massage parlor trips away from spending a bulk of that time in prison

13 minutes ago, TBBills said:

That wasn't hard to do. He was the least smelling pile of ***** out of all the piles of *****.

He had a decent rookie year, particularly down the stretch. I tend not to write off rookie QBs (or rookies at other positions), especially those that aren't in the best situations, in terms of talent around them. To call all rookie QBs from last year piles of s*** doesn't really reflect any in-depth analyses on your part.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

Putting all the contract and legal stuff aside, the question is can a carreer-so-far dome QB be successful on the shores of Lake Erie?  At the end of the day, that is going to be the thing to watch.  I’ve attended a game in Cleveland stadium.  The breeze be a blowing there.  

• Agree 1

It Sucks that there are so many elite, young, qbs in the AFC while so few in the NFC. There are legitimately 7-8 AFC teams who will be competitive for the next decade simply because of their QB (including us, of course.) Getting the elite QB is the hardest part of the equation, and much of our  competition has that spot solved. I guess the posting is they are all outside the afc east.

The NFC has like 1 or 2 answers at qb for the present and future. If we are in the NFC I think we could cake walk our way to the Superbowl until Josh’s legs fall off.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

What does this even mean? 

Watson is a top 5 QB in the league. He’s on the Browns now, he’s not going to suddenly suck. 

I suggest he very well might suck.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You’ve shown that you are no expert either.  Watson was a top 5 QB in the league when he played.  He’s been off one season.  Work ethic and talent have never been an issue.  The contract and trade value are both in line for someone of his talent and performance.   His character is the only issue - and it’s an enormous one. You don’t have to make up garbage excuses to not like Watson or the move.  It’s right there. 

He was not found guilty by the league. What character issue?

I read his work effort may keep him from Elite. Cleveland has a history of poor qb decisions. Match the two...recipe for trouble.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Important contract note for Deshaun Watson, who got a 5-year, $230M contract. His base salary for 2022 is $1M, which means if he’s suspended, it’ll come out of that base.

People were making a big deal about the Packers potentially allocating ~40% of their cap space to Rodgers and Adams. With this contract detail, it appears that the last 4 years of Deshaun's deal could all be $50M+ cap hits, unless I'm understanding this wrong? This isn't like the Mahomes deal either where they can stretch out the signing bonus over 8-10 years. Garrett will make an average of $29M/yr over those 4 years.

~$80M+/year tied up into two (great) players, and no first round picks for the next 3 drafts. They and a lot of teams must be hoping for substantial, consistent salary cap increases the next 5 years, which could very well be the case.

This deal absolutely makes them better, but if Watson is suspended for any notable amount of time this season then their playoff hopes could be over with how competitive the AFC will be. And then from 2023-26 they may be hamstrung financially and by their lack of 1st round rookie talent on the roster.

Should be interesting, especially if they find a way to **** it all up.

3 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Rapist and now the highest paid player ever... gotta love professional sports

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 😉

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 😉

716er needs to learn his Seinfeld references.

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.