Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

All the D signings have been great, but isn’t protecting 17 kinda…I don’t know, important to this team’s success?

Their very first move in FA was to sign a pro bowl OG with experience in Kromer’s scheme and then extend the contract of 17’s Center. I think they know.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Perusing what is left of the guard market there is not much left, especially when you consider that this team seems to be looking for the RAS guys. Unsurprisingly, Cody Ford had some terrible agility score. My conclusion is that we really need to try to keep Bates.

Will Hernandez - Somewhat surprising to me, but he has some nice athletic traits. Hernandez did not have a great start to his career with the Giants, but really who has? There is upside there. 

Honestly, Hernandez is really the only guy out there who is still young with upside. 

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif? Maybe. Former Chief that was pushed out of a job.

The Jets probably cut Greg Van Roten, who surprisingly, (at least to me) posted a great RAS score coming out but he was atrocious with the Jets. He was solid with the Panthers. We had rumored interest in him during free agency. 

image.thumb.png.66969d98fe3b6b22217ce5d39971a198.png

My unrealistic dream is that the Falcons miss out on Watson, trade Matty ice, go into full rebuild mode, and trade us Chris Lindstrom. 

FYI 

The Vikings version of Tremaine, message board scapegoat, is Garrett Bradbury. It looks like they are thinking of Bates as a center upgrade. They should sign JC Tretter and leave our guy alone. 

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Kind of weird that meetings he has with teams are announced in the media unless it’s a requirement as a tendered RFA.  He must have some promise if multiple teams are sniffing around.  

He does have an agent though.  Telling the league he's meeting with minnesota is like - oh? Who is this Bates guy?  Should we be calling too?  

Damn, Bates is gone.  Pats have plenty of cap space and just lost/traded away both their starting guards.  Minnesota didn't have a lot of room wasn't as worried there, but NE will make an offer Bills can't match. 

Oh well, not too concerned.  We have Saffold at LG, and then it will be between Ford/rookie for the RG spot. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It's a shame Beane and McD didn't put more of a priority on keeping  arguably our most versatile O lineman. Let's hope they don't have to match some outrageous contract.

It’s completely possible the Bills wanted a multi-year deal but they disagreed on terms. They allowed him to see his worth around the league.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Damn, Bates is gone.  Pats have plenty of cap space and just lost/traded away both their starting guards.  Minnesota didn't have a lot of room wasn't as worried there, but NE will make an offer Bills can't match. 

Oh well, not too concerned.  We have Saffold at LG, and then it will be between Ford/rookie for the RG spot. 

Not too concerned? This is a horrifying scenario lol. I don't want the line to be the think that clips our championship chances and the only reason we had a shot last year is because they pulled themselves together AFTER bates came in. The line pre bates was bad enough for this team to lose to Jacksonville. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It's a shame Beane and McD didn't put more of a priority on keeping  arguably our most versatile O lineman. Let's hope they don't have to match some outrageous contract.

Agreed. He rolled the dice like we did with Hogan. This could be a huge error on Beanes part.  Hopefully we can match or draft someone better

2 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

If somebody makes a big offer, the bills can match or trade. They lost Chris Hogan to the patriots under similar circumstances. 

They can't trade him he's not currently under contract, the Bills have to match or they get nothing.  

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

Hope nobody values him more than us. 

Don't even waste your time hoping. Pats have PLENTY of cap room and holes all over the o line, including both starting guard spots.  They will offer him prob close to $5mill per year knowing the Bills can't quite squeeze that. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

They can't trade him he's not currently under contract, the Bills have to match or they get nothing.  

Don't even waste your time hoping. Pats have PLENTY of cap room and holes all over the o line, including both starting guard spots.  They will offer him prob close to $5mill per year knowing the Bills can't quite squeeze that. 

Not 100% true.  He could sign the Tender, and then these visits even stop.  But in theory Bills could say if you find an offer somewhere before signing let us know the numbers, then sign your tender and we will trade you there.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

We could have tendered him and gotten a draft pick right? But didn't?

Yep for 1.5M more could have tendered at the 2nd round level.  That should tell people the value the Bills really put on Bates.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And the paid for RFA trips for Bates Continues.  

Bills likely will match anything up to the 2nd round tender.  So anything that is 1.5M or lower added to his current salary will get matched.  

I heard it was the lowest tender, not the one that provided 2nd round compensation if he left. A difference of $1.5M.