Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

Just now, Motor26 said:

Williams sucks, Brown wasn’t very good last year. Those two next to each other just wasn’t good. If you think the OL is in a good place right now then I don’t know what to tell you. 

I think Williams is decent in pass pro. 

Are you saying they shouldn't start Spencer Brown at RT this year? Why are you only saying this now, I haven't seen a single person say that the entire offseason. Where ya been?

https://theramshuddle.com/topic/kromer-on-the-rams-run-game/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/what-aaron-kromer-brings-to-the-bills-is-exactly-what-they-need/ar-AATD4tj

Imho Kromer's plan for Bills run game plays huge role here.  The 2017 and 2018 Rams ran for almost 4200 yds out of 11 personnel formations.  And the 2015-2016 Bills ran for over 5000! With him as OL coach.  Both the Rams and Bills ran alot of Wide Zone runs in their run games which requires athletic Olinemen.  Granted Tyrod and Goff at QB were limiting factors in passing games.  I did like the Rams under center run game as Goff had many Play Action pass opportunities on run downs.

So what are the tells so far re Bates and Bills Oline.  For one we know they saw Saffold as an upgrade at LG.  Secondly OBD signed OJ Howard as a 2nd TE to assisting 12 personnel packages.  And they signed Mancz as a versatile C/G backup.   Finally they only tendered Bates as a Right of First Refusal level.  Bates is Athletic enough to play in Kromer's  scheme for sure but a RG also needs some Power run scheme and pass block anchor ability in Kromer's scheme. 

OBDs hope was to limit their cost at RG (the easiest OL position to fill) to under $3mm in 2022.  Chicago likely offered Bates at a higher level.  And at this point OBD knows those numbers and needs to decide if they want to counter. 

My take - As they have the numbers they'd be happy with, the requirements for the RG position in Kromer's  scheme and - an internal decision on matching Bates offer- OBD will likely let him go and sign an inexpensive veteran RG to a one year deal and draft a high level prospect to take over next year.  OBD likely drafts 2 IOL prospects this year as there will be room on 53 man roster for them.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I think Williams is decent in pass pro. 

Are you saying they shouldn't start Spencer Brown at RT this year? Why are you only saying this now, I haven't seen a single person say that the entire offseason. Where ya been?

Yes Brown should start but its fair to say he struggled a lot at times.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Checking in to see if the deadline has come? Is it business days, or does the weekend count?

The silence out of OBD deafening, I guess I need to get over it and accept that Mr. Bates is gone.

But I'm left wondering what the plan at RG is?

• Ford = Ugh! Maybe with a new coach he becomes what they had hoped. But hope is a very poor strategy.
  • Tommy Doyle has been suggested = I doubt it.
  • A vet signing = This fits Beane's MO, so more likely than the two above, but the clock is ticking.
  • Draft a "Day One" Starter = No guarantees (isn't that what Ford was supposed to be?). A big risk, high reward thing.
  • Or all of the above (and maybe a mid or late round draft pick as well), and "let the best man win." = This too, is risky. What about protecting QB1? Having a weakness at RG all season will be troubling.

So back to the original issue: Why let a dependable player like Bates walk when there is no obvious upgrade (or even equivalent) replacement in place ???

Beane has been a brilliant this off-season, but this one puzzles me.

Easy answer.  They don’t think he’s worth the money. If they thought he was worth it, they’d make room.  If they don’t make room, he’s not worthy in their eyes.  They’ll figure out a replacement 

Here are some interesting numbers:

Strange is about as close as you can get to Bates in the draft this year. But an underrated thing about Bates is that he is only 25. Strange was a 5 year starter getting a 6th year exception for COVID. Which means he is turning 24 going into the season. Bates just turned 25 and has been in league for 4 years. 

Johnson has excellent numbers as well, but he is a bit smaller. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Complaining? Just stating facts… everyone seems to think CB is the glaring hole… at the moment their offensive line is essentially the same poor unit it was last season if Bates goes else where…. Only hoping they find a way to address it and prolong the longevity of the guy that really makes this team as good as it is in Josh Allen. 

No way I’ll B word about the punter… If they find a way to improve the offensive line I don’t expect them to punt much at all this season assuming McD stays aggressive. 👍🏻

The consensus opinion seems to be that Saffold is an upgrade at LG and that Kromer is an upgrade at OL coach.

You’re entitled to a different opinion of course, but it would be helpful if you cared to explain it

• Like (+1) 3

Tried looking through this thread, but didn't see anything that popped out and 38 pages is alot to look through. 

Wondering if details of the Bears offer have been posted?  Or is that something that is normally not known to the outside world till the 5 days is up?

Also wondering if the Bills do match, is the entire tender thing over with, or next week or anytime up till around April 20 something, can one of the other teams he had also visited with, say the Vikings make a new higher offer?  I'm guessing the answer is no as he's no longer on a tender offer, but something higher to match Bears

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

still have the draft and more free agency after and people are worried about Beane not filling in holes....  Unbelievable 

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Tried looking through this thread, but didn't see anything that popped out and 38 pages is alot to look through. 

Wondering if details of the Bears offer have been posted?  Or is that something that is normally not known to the outside world till the 5 days is up?

usually we get wind of the numbers...   this one has been different and usually the bills say yes or no right way long before time runs out.... so this one makes me think they are looking at options. 

• Like (+1) 1

The football analytics outlet named a potential breakout player for every NFL team during a lookahead to next season. For the Bills, the right tackle was PFF’s pick:

BUFFALO BILLS: T SPENCER BROWN
2021 PFF Grade: 59.3

Brown was known for having elite measurables for a tackle prospect in the pre-draft process. The 6-foot-8, 290-pound tackle ended up going in the tail-end of Round 3, but his rookie season showed he just might exceed that draft slot. Brown posted a 70.6 run-block grade in 2021. His pass-protection was a hindrance, though. Brown allowed 36 pressures en route to a 49.1 pass-block grade.

16 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Also wondering if the Bills do match, is the entire tender thing over with, or next week or anytime up till around April 20 something, can one of the other teams he had also visited with, say the Vikings make a new higher offer?  I'm guessing the answer is no as he's no longer on a tender offer, but something higher to match Bears

I am surprised they have not leaked. If the numbers were absurd, I think the Bills would have leaked em so that the court of opinion would see why they would’t match. My guess is that maybe they are trying to free the cap to match or they could be working on a trade with the Bears in exchange for not matching. 

Also Bates signed the contract offer. So he either winds up with the Bills or Bears under those contract terms. Those are the only possible outcomes, so it is over. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am surprised they have not leaked. If the numbers were absurd, I think the Bills would have leaked em so that the court of opinion would see why they would’t match. My guess is that maybe they are trying to free the cap to match or they could be working on a trade with the Bears in exchange for not matching. 

Also Bates signed the contract offer. So he either winds up with the Bills or Bears under those contract terms. Those are the only possible outcomes, so it is over. 

So if they worked a trade, would he then still be on the tender offer?  Or would is somehow become a contract? If still a tender, could it happen again from another team?

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if they worked a trade, would he then still be on the tender offer?  Or would is somehow become a contract? If still a tender, could it happen again from another team?

He meant that the Bears might send the Bills, say, a 5th round pick to not match their offer to Bates.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The love for Brown is strange… he had some really rough outings in pass protection. Like put this guy on the bench bad. William was average to below average.

He also road graded people in the run game taking out multiple players numerous times on the same play.

Brown will be a good player for this team

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He also road graded people in the run game taking out multiple players numerous times on the same play.

Brown will be a good player for this team

I am kind of excited to see the run game with Saffold added to the mix, they now have two very physical and scrappy guys on the OL

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I am kind of excited to see the run game with Saffold added to the mix, they now have two very physical and scrappy guys on the OL

If you like nasty o linemen, here is a good link:

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2022/03/24/2022-nfl-draft-nasty-offensive-linemen/

Not sure that I can emphasize any more how much I love Tyler Linderbaum. 

On 3/26/2022 at 10:47 AM, Doc said:

It would have been a tough sell, dumping Feliciano for a 7th round rookie.  Remember he was signed by the Eagles after the 2nd game of the season when Feliciano was still starting.  And Anderson only got 1 start on the Eagles, the season-ender where they sat most of their starters.  I just don't think much would have changed WRT needing to find another OG if they had kept him.

It would have been, but with the salary cap looming I think the roster decisions need to be adjusted. Really there have been some head scratchers on the oline anyway, Mongo and Spain seem to have been bad re-signs and probably contributed to Bobby Johnson heading out. I'm thinking Kromer might have more confidence in coaching up a youngster instead of hanging on to a vet due to his experience in the league.

In the end, there's a lot of hand wringing this off season about holes and contracts. I was merely pointing out beane was thinking about these two positions last off season with the guys that got plucked so it's pretty safe to assume he has a plan this offseason too, even if it hasn't come to fruition yet.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If you like nasty o linemen, here is a good link:

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2022/03/24/2022-nfl-draft-nasty-offensive-linemen/

Not sure that I can emphasize any more how much I love Tyler Linderbaum. 

Nice article appreciate that I bookmarked it. I like Linderbaum as well, thing is didn't we just lock up Morse for two more years? I realize Linderbaum can move but the article says it wouldn't make much sense, but can you imagine if we had 3 Incognitions starting on the OL? I loved Richies tenacity on the field! Also do think they have to consider him if he falls, those type of lineman might only come along what every 5-10 years? I will be more interested to see what Gunnerbill and other draft guys think of him as a fit for Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, billrooter said:

Nice article appreciate that I bookmarked it. I like Linderbaum as well, thing is didn't we just lock up Morse for two more years? I realize Linderbaum can move but the article says it wouldn't make much sense, but can you imagine if we had 3 Incognitions starting on the OL? I loved Richies tenacity on the field! Also do think they have to consider him if he falls, those type of lineman might only come along what every 5-10 years? I will be more interested to see what Gunnerbill and other draft guys think of him as a fit for Buffalo.

I think he would be fine at guard, but yeah I highly doubt he is the pick as he probably isn’t available and I don’t think they go IOL. I think they will draft one of these tackles, like Tulsa’s Smith or Luke Goedeke, Abraham Lucas, Logan Bruss, Cole Strange, etc etc and make them a guard. Smith is starting to grow on me the more I watch. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1