Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Restructure other contracts you mean? I would release Matakevich. They have to have room first to match if it’s front loaded. We’ll see.

Do you have data on that? I felt the line was much better the last quarter of the season and in the playoffs. Spencer Brown seemed to be the weakest link at the end of the season.

Yeah….we can absolutely kick more money down the line if they feels he’s worth it

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s pretty much what I saw. Brown was the worst of the group. Bates the best. Smaller sample from Bates. 

I bet a lot of the bad stats from Brown came in the horrible game he had playing Left Tackle.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s pretty much what I saw. Brown was the worst of the group. Bates the best. Smaller sample from Bates. 

Brown was pretty inconsitent through the year, having some really good games and some really bad games. The two playoff games epitomized that when he had his best game in pass protection in the NE WC game and then followed it up with his worst game in pass protection in the KC Div game.

With that said. I do think he has a high ceiling and I believe Kromer can really elevate his game.

Bates only played in five games (including playoffs) where he had 50+ snaps. He didn't have more than 10 in any of the other 14 games. He played pretty well in 3 of the 5, but struggled some in the last game against the Jets and in the KC Div game, where he was as bad as Brown in pass protection. 

But I think he has the ability to step in and start and is a great backup to have. I hope they retain him. As we witnessed all last season, you need to have depth along the Oline.

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I do agree that they should have tendered him at the second round level, but that ties up funds that may have kept us from being able to sign a guy like Jamison Crowder. So it is fair that Beane took the risk to see how Bates is valued around the league. It's a risk, but not a massive one. There is always a way. 

A second round tender would have cost $3.98M. The right of first refusal tender costs $2.4M.

That is not a large amount and if they thought he’d get offers and expected him to be a starter or capable backup, $1.5M for assurance is not a lot.

Roll your eyes all you want. It was a bad move, likely driven by bad intel from the O-Line coach.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Special K said:

I bet a lot of the bad stats from Brown came in the horrible game he had playing Left Tackle.

He was bad in pass protection on the right side too.  His 14% pressure rate is abnormally high. Feliciano was terrible in pass pro…and brown was almost 33% worse.  He was our worst pass protector last season.  Banking a lot on him improving.  Let’s hope the guy playing next to him can help him, rather than bring him down

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was getting worked late in the season and in the playoffs at RT.

Yes Brown wasn’t very good last year. I’d invest a 2nd round pick in another tackle who they can plug in at guard if Brown beats him out. I like Raimann and Tyler Smith. Both could end up going anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Saffold is a LG, which makes Bates expendable.   If Bates signs with the Bears, the Bills will more than likely bring Daryl Williams back at a lower rate and keep the same line they had last year, albeit with Saffold in over Bates.

Not so fast.  In addition to missing 2 games, Saffold missed almost 20% of the snaps last season.  He needs at a minimum, quality backup.

Second, who is playing RG?  If it's not Bates, it might be Williams - but would Williams be a happy and motivated guy to sign for $2M or less?

17 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

A second round tender would have cost $3.98M. The right of first refusal tender costs $2.4M.

That is not a large amount and if they thought he’d get offers and expected him to be a starter or capable backup, $1.5M for assurance is not a lot.

Roll your eyes all you want. It was a bad move, likely driven by bad intel from the O-Line coach.

How can you possibly say it was a bad deal without knowing the contract he is getting?  Ridiculous.

2 hours ago, popcornpam said:

Josh should call Beane and tell him to match it! He knows how good he is! Just look at last year‘s games when he came in. I worry about the team‘s chemistry a lot of new pieces this year. 

I'd like to respectfully suggest that Josh should recognize that it's not his area of expertise to evaluate OL play - both on the Bills and around the league - or to value the contracts due players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I don't disagree. What I am saying is that Crowder signed for a little under two million. They second round tender ties up funds throughout free agency and could have kept them from making a move like Crowder. I agree that it's peanuts, but that was likely the thinking. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd like to respectfully suggest that Josh should recognize that it's not his area of expertise to evaluate OL play - both on the Bills and around the league - or to value the contracts due players.

I agree with the 2nd part about the contacts, but I think Josh would even evaluate that the OL play in front of him was not very good in general, after all, he was the one running from their missed blocks all the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't disagree. What I am saying is that Crowder signed for a little under two million. They second round tender ties up funds throughout free agency and could have kept them from making a move like Crowder. I agree that it's peanuts, but that was likely the thinking. 

Save $3 MM by cutting Matakevich.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I do remember that Josh wanted a say on who his new offensive coordinator would be. 

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

So if he goes to the Bears, that 2.5M goes back to our available cap, correct?  So we'd be around +8M?

Correct that the $2.43M goes back on our available cap, less the salary of a guy who would move back into the top 51 (about $0.87M)

So about $1.56 goes  back on

Beane wishes he had $8M of cap!  Currently Spotrac shows us as having $2.56M , with two signed players not yet "on the books" (Barkley and Shaq Lawson).

When they are "on the books", they will bump two guys out of the top 51, providing an extra $1.72M of cap

3 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

I do remember that Josh wanted a say on who his new offensive coordinator would be. 

Respectfully, it's a different place to lobby for a guy he has been working with and point out the expertise and interactions he would bring to the table as OC  vs. to enter the world of OL scouting and OL player contract ROI by calling up Beane and telling him to match a specific contract for a specific OLman that has general cap implications for other moves Beane would make for the team.

If you can't see the difference, don't know what to say.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct that the $2.43M goes back on our available cap, less the salary of a guy who would move back into the top 51 (about $0.87M)

So about $1.56 goes  back on

Beane wishes he had $8M of cap!  Currently Spotrac shows us as having $2.56M , with two signed players not yet "on the books" (Barkley and Shaq Lawson).

When they are "on the books", they will bump two guys out of the top 51, providing an extra $1.72M of cap

That’s one reason they get 5 days. He can create the space of he wants to. I bet he won’t though.