Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bates currently slated at $2.4 million cap hit. Bills can go a little higher but not much. Let’s see how this contract is structured.

The bills can go as high as they feel he’s worth.  They just needs to restructure

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If they want to keep him, Beane will have a plan

Josh should call Beane and tell him to match it! He knows how good he is! Just look at last year‘s games when he came in. I worry about the team‘s chemistry a lot of new pieces this year. 

4 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Josh should call Beane and tell him to match it! He knows how good he is! Just look at last year‘s games when he came in. I worry about the team‘s chemistry a lot of new pieces this year. 

Josh was the most pressured QB last season, including the 4 games in which Bates started. I think Josh should call Beane and say to get him a better oline in general.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The bills can go as high as they feel he’s worth.  They just needs to restructure

Restructure other contracts you mean? I would release Matakevich. They have to have room first to match if it’s front loaded. We’ll see.

5 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Josh was the most pressured QB last season, including the 4 games in which Bates started. I think Josh should call Beane and say to get him a better oline in general.

Do you have data on that? I felt the line was much better the last quarter of the season and in the playoffs. Spencer Brown seemed to be the weakest link at the end of the season.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Tough situation for Rick. Not guaranteed to start on a SB contender, despite being the singular piece that evolved the o-line from broken to effective in the last 1/3 of the season. I wish I could see what the Bills brass don't see in him to put him in this position. I prefer the Bills to fill CB and WR needs in the top 2 rounds. I really hope that they don't force their own hand by missing on Bates. 

I don’t see this as a tough situation. It’s a fantastic situation for him. He’s either going to get paid or play on the Super bowl contender. I would classify this as a tough decision. 

14 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t see this as a tough situation. It’s a fantastic situation for him. He’s either going to get paid or play on the Super bowl contender. I would classify this as a tough decision. 

I think you meant "wouldn't".  This does not seem like it will be a tough decision.  First off, we hope the Bills just match the Bears offer, end of story, he's a Bill. 

I'm hoping internally the Bills have raised their price limit on what they would pay Bates.  The KC/Hill fall out should be that the Bills spend a little more for the upcoming season now.

Just now, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you meant "wouldn't".  This does not seem like it will be a tough decision.  First off, we hope the Bills just match the Bears offer, end of story, he's a Bill. 

I'm hoping internally the Bills have raised their price limit on what they would pay Bates.  The KC/Hill fall out should be that the Bills spend a little more for the upcoming season now.

Why though?  If they don't match Bates, I trust Beane/Kromer in their view of the OL.  Kromer running this group gives me a ton of confidence that they know what they're doing.  

I highly doubt losing Bates means Ford starts and our depth is Mancz, Capra and Doyle. 

Maybe they have some OL that Kromer loves in the Draft.  

It depends on the Bear contract.  If they frontloaded it, the Bills probably don't match.  For all we know, Bates could be viewed by the Bills brass the same way as Wallace obviously was - highly replacable.  Also, with Bate's RG spot filled already, would he be as good at LG??

33 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

5 days to match

I believe the Bills would make a decision sooner if they know they are not keeping him.  They’ve run all the scenarios and have a plan.

Probably will be front loaded and tough to keep him.  Don’t know how much more restructuring Beans wants to do.  Plus, he most likely wants some decent cap reserve for injuries.  Don’t see him sitting at the available cap space.

I feel like they’ll use the five days wisely. Try and find a comparable guard for less or the same amount. If they can’t, they’ll sign Bates. 

Hopefully Bears didn’t offer too much to a guy that barely started. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why though?  If they don't match Bates, I trust Beane/Kromer in their view of the OL.  Kromer running this group gives me a ton of confidence that they know what they're doing.  

I highly doubt losing Bates means Ford starts and our depth is Mancz, Capra and Doyle. 

Maybe they have some OL that Kromer loves in the Draft.  

I want them to bring back Bates because the line played its best ball with Bates in there.  He brings continuity.  

If losing Bates doesn't mean Ford starts (or god forbid Mancz) then it means another hole to fill.  I don't want holes, I want upgrades.

I also don't want Kromer and his lust for a player altering the draft strategy of BPA.

• Like (+1) 1