Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

We thought the same about Wyatt Teller

OUCH. .......yep

*pouts*

The Bills OL is in flex right now I like to be optimistic regarding player evaluations so my thinking is Bates made an appreciable positive  difference when the line was needing it badly. I say at least try to keep him and not create another OL vacancy need. Know what I mean? and Yes I know the draft is upcoming and ultimately I need to trust the process and wait to see how this all shakes out.  I want to trust that Bates is an answer NOT a question mark at this point.

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is currently the scariest thread.  Every time I click I’m like Look Looking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePantsafraid of possible bad news. Losing Bates was not part of this offseason plan imo. If we lose him, they’ll be kicking themselves for that tender. 

I just quoted you and added a comment so that you have to come check the thread 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is a little better then that....but replacable

He's hardly a JAG. He's done nothing but come in when needed and played admirably at LG, RG & C.  If you can sign him for that extra 1.5 just do it.  Or else we'll have to draft Zion Johnson @ 25?  No CB or WR.....

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's hardly a JAG. He's done nothing but come in when needed and played admirably at LG, RG & C.  If you can sign him for that extra 1.5 just do it.  Or else we'll have to draft Zion Johnson @ 25?  No CB or WR.....

Exactly what I am afraid of.  This signing is incredibly important. Can’t have those 3 major needs going into the draft and if we do I believe Priorities become

1. CB

2. OG

3. WR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Perusing what is left of the guard market there is not much left, especially when you consider that this team seems to be looking for the RAS guys. Unsurprisingly, Cody Ford had some terrible agility score. My conclusion is that we really need to try to keep Bates.

Will Hernandez - Somewhat surprising to me, but he has some nice athletic traits. Hernandez did not have a great start to his career with the Giants, but really who has? There is upside there. 

Honestly, Hernandez is really the only guy out there who is still young with upside. 

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif? Maybe. Former Chief that was pushed out of a job.

The Jets probably cut Greg Van Roten, who surprisingly, (at least to me) posted a great RAS score coming out but he was atrocious with the Jets. He was solid with the Panthers. We had rumored interest in him during free agency. 

image.thumb.png.66969d98fe3b6b22217ce5d39971a198.png

My unrealistic dream is that the Falcons miss out on Watson, trade Matty ice, go into full rebuild mode, and trade us Chris Lindstrom. 

FYI 

The Vikings version of Tremaine, message board scapegoat, is Garrett Bradbury. It looks like they are thinking of Bates as a center upgrade. They should sign JC Tretter and leave our guy alone. 

Bates RAS was 9.5, so I doubt his athleticism is a problem scheme wise.

Tbh, while I understand the notion that the Cheats are interested from the 'weaken opponent, improve us' viewpoint, Bates RAS and the fact they got to see him close up, makes me think that there's more genuine interest.

Belichick often drafts based on physical attributes, that he believes he can mould into his systems, or that fit his systems, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bates comes into that category.

Beane seems to like to let players sniff out the market, and that might well be the thinking with Bates, I just believe it was unnecessary, for the sake of an extra $1.5 million., to not get the additional insurance, or discouragement to other teams, of signing him to an offer sheet, if a 2nd round pick is involved.

Still, as others have pointed out, it's early days in the process, and we are yet to hear of any other team making an offer. Time will tell, hopefully not to our detriment.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Right but remember we were tinkering with the OL combos all season (and last season too).  Bates looked really solid at LG in between Dawkins and Morse the last few games, but with Saffold coming in he would have likely moved to RG anyway, which presents some unknowns.  In previous years Bates has looked like a solid backup material at best.  You can get away with one below average starter on the OL, and who knows we may be able to find a cheaper vet replacement at RG or a rookie to compete with ford (or both).  That's why I'm not too concerned.  Not saying OL isn't important, I just don't think Bates was that valuable to begin with.  I'd rather spend the money on a vet #2 corner.

Whether he played left or right guard Bates has played both when needed.  He was active every game with other players costing more or higher draft picks made inactive even when healthy.   Bates seems to enjoy playing here and Bills and his agent may have decide to play chicken with other teams but the chicken is cooked at home.

8 hours ago, napmaster said:

Bates played very well during his opportunity, but he also couldn't crack the starting lineup through camp and the majority of the season until injuries forced him into action.  The offer by the Bills seems about right, and if the Patriots want to overpay, so be it. 

There was also speculation of bringing Williams back at guard money after he tests the market.  If so, would Bates even make the starting lineup?

Bates was used as a hot spare.  Bills stated that when changes were necessary they would rather substitute one player than substitute one player and move others.

That shows value in versatility which Coach McD values.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

This is so stupid that we have to go through this...of course, I wouldn’t mind if we had a 2nd round pick coming back...And I’m sure other teams would think twice about going after him...

I think Beane plans to sign Bates AND a backup QB for what a 2nd round tender woulda cost us

• Agree 1

I just can't believe there's an 11 page watch thread about a backup guard possibly getting poached off of the team that just signed Roger Saffold, OJ Howard and Von Miller.

Bills fans are the best 😂

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uninja said:

I just can't believe there's an 11 page watch thread about a backup guard possibly getting poached off of the team that just signed Roger Saffold, OJ Howard and Von Miller.

Bills fans are the best 😂

Bates is one of our top 6 Olinemen and can play all positions on the line.  And was starting in the playoffs.  He is more than a back up.  The signings you mention are exciting, but, signing those players AND keeping Bates would be better.  We may still keep Bates.

Beane has a plan.  $1.5 million more and we would get a 2nd round pick if we lost him.  Maybe Beane has a long term contract ready to offer?  Maybe Kromer doesn't love Bates.  Who knows.  I personally would prefer Bates on the team, but, trust the process.  The tender Beane placed on Bates may have been a gamble Beane didn't need to take and maybe got too cute.  We will see.

I hope Bates is back.

• Like (+1) 2