Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Not too concerned? This is a horrifying scenario lol. I don't want the line to be the think that clips our championship chances and the only reason we had a shot last year is because they pulled themselves together AFTER bates came in. The line pre bates was bad enough for this team to lose to Jacksonville. 

Right but remember we were tinkering with the OL combos all season (and last season too).  Bates looked really solid at LG in between Dawkins and Morse the last few games, but with Saffold coming in he would have likely moved to RG anyway, which presents some unknowns.  In previous years Bates has looked like a solid backup material at best.  You can get away with one below average starter on the OL, and who knows we may be able to find a cheaper vet replacement at RG or a rookie to compete with ford (or both).  That's why I'm not too concerned.  Not saying OL isn't important, I just don't think Bates was that valuable to begin with.  I'd rather spend the money on a vet #2 corner.

• Agree 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

I heard it was the lowest tender, not the one that provided 2nd round compensation if he left. A difference of $1.5M.

You are right.  so the Bills didnt value him at even 1.5M more than he is currently at to protect him on the Bills.  Because NO team would have given up a 2nd for Bates.

• Agree 2

Bates played very well during his opportunity, but he also couldn't crack the starting lineup through camp and the majority of the season until injuries forced him into action.  The offer by the Bills seems about right, and if the Patriots want to overpay, so be it. 

There was also speculation of bringing Williams back at guard money after he tests the market.  If so, would Bates even make the starting lineup?

I think the Bills idea is, why give more information to our competitors, they don’t know for certain what we value him at, this may be nothing more than a curtesy to a valued player, 

or I could be talking out my a_ _😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, napmaster said:

Bates played very well during his opportunity, but he also couldn't crack the starting lineup through camp and the majority of the season until injuries forced him into action.  The offer by the Bills seems about right, and if the Patriots want to overpay, so be it. 

There was also speculation of bringing Williams back at guard money after he tests the market.  If so, would Bates even make the starting lineup?

His value is also in his versatility as a  backup center, they let Feliciano go also who can play center, so this would create a hole.  It will not be the end of the season or something they cannot overcome but it will force the Bills to do something.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If the Pats* are gonna overpay him then we can't do anything about it. Also if they are offering 3 years at 6 million a year he has to at least consider it since player careers are so short 

the devil is in the details. the Patriots could  steal him from us by front loading a contract and making him easy to cut at a later date. basically siggning him to a contract which ensures the Bills cannot match year 1 this year due to our tight cap. Year 1 is extremely high but the rest of the contract is nil beyond this year making him easy to cut if he does not pan out but more importantly making it impossible for us to match.

at that point our only opportunity is to offer a longer contract.

• Agree 1

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

Could it be that we are over-valuing Bates based on a couple games in which he looked pretty good, playing between two top-tier players? There were plenty of times in the past that Bates came in off the bench and looked pedestrian at best.

No. He’s always played well. 

• Disagree 1