Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Dang. Poison pill incoming? They can take advantage of the Bills not having much cap space this year.

Should have given him the higher tender...

Beane might have to break into the Beasley bucks!

2 minutes ago, BTB said:

If Bates moves on, as it stands today, who is the other guard along with Saffold?  Ford?

Yeah, it's mind numbing how Buffalo didn't put a 2nd round tag on Bates. The cost was $3.9 million for that tag. With the money offered J. D. McKissic/ Howard they could have locked up a 27 yr old G who helped spring Buffalo's offense late last year.

Once Buffalo moved on from the Feliciano/ Boettger/ Ford experiment the run game improved, and Buffalo exploded in the playoffs. Bates can pull better than any of the three he replaced, and adds C backup ability with Morse having his injury history. With Feliciano gone, and if Bates moves on not only is a 2nd starting OG needed, but a backup C becomes a need.

Singetary TD up the middle behind Bates and Dawkins in Playoffs vs Pats

One of the best executed runs of 2021. McKenzie motions left and Bates 71 pulls left and seal the backside blocking.

Those who enjoy excellent blocking scheme and execution should enjoy dissecting this play.

Pulling concepts like this only worked once Bates was put in at LG and Singletary benefited.

So a broken down and underwhelming TE2 was worth the same money as #71?

If Bates signs with Minnesota, that leaves Cody Ford and Rodger Saffold (better run blocker) to protect our $250 million dollar man.

Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea I'm not sure if Bates is a Kroemer guy he may have just benefitted some from a different style of play/coaching.  

Maybe Bates is just a dam good player.  I love all the talk about this guy is better in one system, and this guy is better in another system.  How about you're a good O lineman because you can run block and pass block regardless of whatever system teams want to run.  Before Mike Shanahan and the Denver Broncos of the 1990's began running a "zone" blocking scheme, everyone just lined up and tried knock the crap out of the defender in front of them.  I don't remember any of the great O lineman of past eras being only good in one scheme.  Kent Hull Will Woolford, Jim Ritcher, Ruben Brown etc were just dam good blockers.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Maybe Bates is just a dam good player.  

I think he is I'm not going to argue otherwise.  I want to keep him.  

Asking about systems and fit isn't an outrageous question that they may take into consideration

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Even with Bates I was still expecting a guard in the first round.  

Highly highly doubtful- you don’t take a guard in the first You take a cb or wr. You can find starting guards in rd 3 and 4. He’s not a guard but look at brown taken in the 3rd last year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Yeah, it's mind numbing how Buffalo didn't put a 2nd round tag on Bates. The cost was $3.9 million for that tag. With the money offered J. D. McKissic/ Howard they could have locked up a 27 yr old G who helped spring Buffalo's offense late last year.

Once Buffalo moved on from the Feliciano/ Boettger/ Ford experiment the run game improved, and Buffalo exploded in the playoffs. Bates can pull better than any of the three he replaced, and adds C backup ability with Morse having his injury history. With Feliciano gone, and if Bates moves on not only is a 2nd starting OG needed, but a backup C becomes a need.

One of the best executed runs of 2021. McKenzie motions left and Bates 71 pulls left and seal the backside blocking.

Those who enjoy excellent blocking scheme and execution should enjoy dissecting this play.

Pulling concepts like this only worked once Bates was put in at LG and Singletary benefited.

If Bates signs with Minnesota, that leaves Cody Ford and Rodger Saffold (better run blocker) to protect our $250 million dollar man.

I don’t understand this thinking at all.  Why tender him at 3.9 million when that is probably at least 1 - 1.5 million more than you think he is worth.

The Bills did this exactly right.  Low tender him with right to match.  Let the Vikings do the work and if the deal comes in at a palatable rate - you match and it is done and you have 10 days to get the money in order. 

If the cost is to high - then you wait to decline and let that eat money up in Minnesota without having a back-up plan.  In the mean time you can research other guys while you wait.

Bates was a nice find, but he was an average guard - his real value is in his flexibility.  My guess is the Vikings will try to sign him, but the Bills will match and since there is no longer the ability to do poison pills since the CBA - 2 times ago- you just have to determine his worth - no different than every other player.

They had a worth on Wallace, Beasley, Harrison Phillips and they use that to determine offers and who to let walk.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I couldn't agree more. Bates basically came in and jump started an OL that struggled in the run game early in the season. All Bates does when he's asked to fill in is perform.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Let them negotiate the contract And Match if the price is doable too easy

As long as it's under 1.5 million more. I don't see them placing the tender they placed on him instead of the 2nd Round tender which was 1.5 million more and then paying more than that to match the deal. Beane sets his prices and doesn't deviate.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

It would have been silly to do it.  Whatever Minny offers, he doesn't just leave so why would you lock yourself into giving him more money when it's not likely he'll leave?

Would you accept a 2nd round pick for him straight up right now?

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

If we lose Bates, guard become the team's #1 need heading into the draft. Ford has played terribly and Saffold is an older player on a one-year deal.

Does it really? We have no true CB2 and with White also potentially missing some of the year. CB has to be the biggest need easily.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gambit said:

Does it really? We have no true CB2 and with White also potentially missing some of the year. CB has to be the biggest need easily.

They still are big needs, but with Cody Ford at guard Josh Allen won't make it through the season. Dane Jackson is a better cb than Cody Ford is a guard.

• Like (+1) 2