Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes, he is. He has shown flashes his entire time here. Every time he has filled in for someone he has done a good job. Then, when he had the chance to start he did very well.

He's a solid starter at least.

This scenario is more likely to resemble Wyatt Teller than Ryan Groy. And this "he only played 5 games" narrative just coincidentally aligns with Singletary finding holes.  If we lose him it will impact the OL.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

We've had a revolving door at both guard positions for years now. I think it is more difficult to find competent online play than you think.

Well I'm talking about Bates specifically. I hope they can keep him, but if not I don't think it would be too hard to get a replacement with at least similar type production imo.

I mean he did well at times, but he was a depth player and I don't think it will be that difficult to replace a depth player with similar production

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

Dang. Poison pill incoming? They can take advantage of the Bills not having much cap space this year.

Should have given him the higher tender...

I mean, we all know that the cap is fluid and teams can rearrange the deck chairs and create cap space when they want to.

But is Bates the level of OLman you see a team doing that for?  Right now the Vikings have an estimated $1.8M cap space remaining, and I don't follow them enough to know whether all their FA signings are on the books yet (They have Harry down for a cap hit of $3.8M)

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This scenario is more likely to resemble Wyatt Teller than Ryan Groy. And this "he only played 5 games" narrative just coincidentally aligns with Singletary finding holes.  If we lose him it will impact the OL.

Perhaps.  But keep in mind, it's entirely possible Teller doesn't become Teller if he stays on the Bills.  And the Bills just signed a massive FA to take the spot where Bates excelled last season.  Perhaps he doesn't play as well on the right and knows it, in which case it's better for both him and the Bills if he moves along.

It's due diligence.  It's a visit.  

15 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Why didn’t they second round tender this guy again?

Because they didn't consider him worth a $3.98M cap hit this cap-strapped year.

If the Vikings offer him that or more, the Bills can match it.

47 minutes ago, junior said:

Do you know what that would have cost/how it compares to the current tender amount?

Yes

• Like (+1) 1

If I had to guess, Buffalo views him as nice depth if they can keep him on the cheap - but that's about it.   

We didn't offer a multi-year deal.  We didn't opt for the 2nd round tender.  We offered McKissic 3.5M, then turned around and gave it to OJ Howard... so clearly we had 3.5M budgeted for a player, and that player was not Ryan Bates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Georgie said:

With the addition Safford do we assume Bates moves to RG or does Ford get another shot? I would miss Bates' versatility 

Saffold said that it’s his understanding that he will be at LG,  but is open to either. I personally think if he were next to Spencer Brown that would help him. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saffold said that it’s his understanding that he will be at LG,  but is open to either. I personally think if he were next to Spencer Brown that would help him. 

Honestly, lining up next to Spencer Brown would probably help just about anyone lol.

If the Vikes really want him they can sign him to a deal that’s front loaded, make it a higher cap hit this year and we’d be screwed.  They are up against the cap too though, so if I had to guess, he won’t be getting anything we couldn’t match aside from some stupid poison pill like more than 3 games played in NY causes an escalation of salary.  The NFL discourages this type of thing, but it’s not out of question. 

Or, maybe he has family or a booty call there, just letting the Vikes pay for the flight and dinner? Who knows.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Honestly, lining up next to Spencer Brown would probably help just about anyone lol.

How crazy is it, he fell to the third because he was so raw, yet came in and became the best player on the line (personal opinion), in very short order?   The guy is a beast.  Hopefully, we see a little more maturity this year, or he’ll cost us some taunting penalties, but you get to give people crap when you are whipping them.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

How crazy is it, he fell to the third because he was so raw, yet came in and became the best player on the line (personal opinion), in very short order?   The guy is a beast.  Hopefully, we see a little more maturity this year, or he’ll cost us some taunting penalties, but you get to give people crap when you are whipping them.

Agree, it was certainly unexpected by me and many others I'm sure. Was blown away at how well he did and more importantly his presence made basically the whole OL better as a whole. Definitely a promising player and I can only see him improving. 

As for maturity, speaking for myself I didn't see much of an issue. I love his intensity, toughness, and the way he sticks up for team mates. He fits right in with Allen, Diggs etc with his sense of humor and having fun.

• Like (+1) 1