Trading Edmunds makes no sense at this point

bubba2018

Say it with me:

Tremaine Edmunds isn't going anywhere.

Tremaine Edmunds was never going to be traded.

If he is not extended before this season (which I still see as a large possibility) and he has a subpar season than maybe, MAYBE next season.

But Beane flat out said he disagrees with you naysayers and McDermott has never wavered in his faith in him as the QB of the #1 Defense in the league. Hell, Beane said during his press conference today that he consulted Tremaine during FA on Defensive signings.

It's one thing to try to wish something into existence. It's another entirely to expect unrealistic moves like these and get upset when they don't happen.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Say it with me:

If he is not extended before this season (which I still see as a large possibility) and he has a subpar season than maybe, MAYBE next season.

But Beane flat out said he disagrees with you naysayers and McDermott has never wavered in his faith in him as the QB of the #1 Defense in the league. Hell, Beane said during his press conference today that he consulted Tremaine during FA on Defensive signings.

It's one thing to try to wish something into existence. It's another entirely to expect unrealistic moves like these and get upset when they don't happen.

It's cause people don't understand how much he effects the opponent pass game by covering so much space and having a huge wingspan...the passes that aren't thrown or completed against us that are against other teams are a huge point...

If he isn't here next year, be assured he will be likely setting a record for LB contracts with his new team. 

Fans may not like what he does but be assured every other GM is dying to have someone patrolling the middle of the field and disrupting the opponents passing game the way he does.

And oh yeah...none of them gives a fvck about his run defending.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

He's made the probowl which I guess means something.

But I've said all along, it's not that he's bad as much as it's he's a JAG type of player on this team. But if another team views him as a more natural fit in their scheme and that he's out of place in Buffalo (which I also believe is the case) why wouldn't they give up a 2nd round pick for him especially since he's still very young.

A 2nd round pick is best case, but I would also do it for a 3rd rounder especially if the decision has been made we aren't resigning him long term anyway.

So what's so bad about having some JAG's on a team?  Yeah the problem with him is he was drafted high so should be better than a JAG.  Diggs and Milano believe  were both 5th round picks, Beasley was undrafted, just to name a couple.  Teams draft guys who end up not being nearly as good as their draft position and others far exceed where they were drafted. Point is it balances out. 

How many threads are started about players who don't work out or live up to their contract, many, but how many are there talking about boy how much better that guy is, very few.

Just seems to way too much mis placed hatred towards Edmunds purely based on where he was drafted.

I'm going to rule out his rookie year because he's so young and raw. And I'm also going to assume that the majority of Bills fans will admit that his strength is pass coverage. Both zone and man. I'm not going get into any run stop arguments. So looking at his last 3 years in pass coverage stats we have:

2019  QB Rating- 76.1

Y/Tgt- 5.1

2020  QB Rating- 114.3

Y/Tgt- 8.5

2021   QB Rating- 106.1

Y/Tgt- 8.4

So what happened from 2019 to 2020 that created this huge drop in his pass coverage? I've heard the theory that a weaker DL might have contributed. Maybe there's some merit there. Star didn't play in 2020. Also we went from 44 sacks in 2019 to 38 in 2020. We'll know with Von Miller, a 2nd year Groot and improved DT play if Tremaine's coverage numbers improve back to his best season (2019). It's also his contract year so he'll be motivated. We'll know everything we want about 49 this season. Good or bad.  I've never been of fan of his play but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Say it with me:

He won’t be under contract next season so he couldn’t be traded.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He will get a new deal with the Bills this summer.

Im not a huge fan of his, but I recognize the insane potential that he still has as a modern day linebacker.  

I just hate the idea of him playing this year and then us letting him walk for nothing.   

I believe Knox & Oliver get new contracts with us, so not sure where the money comes from for Edmunds, but if we get it done.. I don’t hate it.  

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not a huge fan of his, but I recognize the insane potential that he still has as a modern day linebacker.  

I just hate the idea of him playing this year and then us letting him walk for nothing.   

I believe Knox & Oliver get new contracts with us, so not sure where the money comes from for Edmunds, but if we get it done.. I don’t hate it.  

I agree, except I dont think Knox will be the priority that Oluver is.  In fact, I'd guess the Bills want Edmund's more than Knox.  Especially if Howard somehow blossoms.  

On 3/18/2022 at 1:46 PM, gonzo1105 said:

He'll be here this year to decide if he'll be here next year. Tons of talent upgrades particularly at DT to help him flow to the ball better and be untouched. Better pass rusher to help him in the pass coverage game. No more excuses for this guy. Time to show what he can do or time to find a new team. 

i agree this is likely.   But not sure I want to pay what he will likely command for a role player that does not elevate those around him but is only impactful (if he is this year) due to a better DL in front of him.  

On 3/18/2022 at 10:25 AM, FilthyBeast said:

It actually does make sense for a number of reasons that have been beat to death including but not limited to:

- $12 million in cap space free immediately

- would likely get a 2nd round pick at minimum (possibly more)

- can sign Wagner or other stop gap LB much cheaper, wagner (and others) would be instant upgrade/at worse lateral move.

- despite all the cap maneuvering we aren't going to be able to keep everyone and no way I'm paying $15 - $20 million a season for a guy like Edmunds starting in 2023.

At this point he probably stays but still think it's very possible he's moved soon especially the longer guys like Wagner stay on the market.

Agree on all the points above. The only reason to keep him is fear of the unknown. If they draft a CB in the first round that can start right away, its very conceivable Edmunds is the worst player on the starting defense.  A second and $12M in cap space to sign Wagner is better than keeping Edmunds for one more year. 

But, I dont think this regime is ready to move on from him. I think he will be retained and they see what he does on his contract year. What will be really interesting to see is if he holds out of camp looking for an extension.

Edited by Ethan in Portland

18 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Say it with me:

Wishing him to be a capable MLB when he isn't is even worse. But the rest of your post is likely very accurate. Beane and McDermott likely value Edmunds more than much of this fan base. I was in favor of picking up his option. He is essentially on a 1yr prove it deal now. 

Will be very interesting to see if he is a mincamp and training camp hold out.

On 3/18/2022 at 1:32 PM, FireChans said:

That’s not true and that’s silly. 

Edmunds is a disappointment. But he’s not the worst MLB in the NFL. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl in the next two years, you don’t create a hole at inside linebacker.

So... who says we would be creating a hole at linebacker?

Miles Jack just got 2 years $16M total.

We're paying Edmunds 1yr $12M.

You think we would replace that $12M salary with nobody?

Or, do you think Bobby Wagner, Joe Schobert, Anthony Hitchens, Dont'a Hightowner, etc. will want more than $12M/yr?

The only reason to not trade Edmunds is thinking you can't sign a replacement or you can't get a good enough pick for him.

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

So... who says we would be creating a hole at linebacker?

Miles Jack just got 2 years $16M total.

We're paying Edmunds 1yr $12M.

You think we would replace that $12M salary with nobody?

Or, do you think Bobby Wagner, Joe Schobert, Anthony Hitchens, Dont'a Hightowner, etc. will want more than $12M/yr?

The only reason to not trade Edmunds is thinking you can't sign a replacement or you can't get a good enough pick for him.

Sign Wagner first and I’m game.

I don't understand how people can say he's bad, but then expect the Bills to get a high draft pick for him in return. 

That sounds dumb. 

The Bills will probably extend him at the right price. He seems like a guy that would take a team friendly deal and prefer staying with the Bills. 

Playing with Von Miller at end or SLB will be super nice.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

He won’t be under contract next season so he couldn’t be traded.

I should have specified that I meant moving on from him, not trading him. Although, there is a possibility where he has a great season, we Franchise Tag him, can't come to an agreement on a deal and end up trading him that way.

And on top of the other reasons I mentioned, I believe Tim Settle was brought in in large part because of his rapport with Tremaine. I think a large part of Tremaine's (overblown) struggles has been the lack of a consistent solid DT opposite Oliver. I don't think it's a coincidence they decided to bring in the guy in front of him when he was a star in College.

Wouldn't make much sense for Beane to decide to do that if moving Edmunds were in his plans.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I should have specified that I meant moving on from him, not trading him. Although, there is a possibility where he has a great season, we Franchise Tag him, can't come to an agreement on a deal and end up trading him that way.

And on top of the other reasons I mentioned, I believe Tim Settle was brought in in large part because of his rapport with Tremaine. I think a large part of Tremaine's (overblown) struggles has been the lack of a consistent solid DT opposite Oliver. I don't think it's a coincidence they decided to bring in the guy in front of him when he was a star in College.

Wouldn't make much sense for Beane to decide to do that if moving Edmunds were in his plans.

They're doing the same thing they did with Josh; eliminating the variables. I don't think he gets a new contract until they see how he plays this year. May be a mid-season deal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.