Star released. Pre-6/1 per Joe B, $1.5M cap savings.

Chandler#81

2 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

So what if he didn't want to get vaccinated you dont know his medical history etc... don't be one of those holier than thou fools

I thought this vaccine rabbit hole was addressed and closed yesterday. 🤔

Was listening to Sirius NFL network around 11:30 am today. They stated the Colts cutting Wentz was directly related to his choosing to not get Covid Vaccine.  And that Irsay the owner drove decision.

Makes me wonder if their antivax positions and subsequent loss of games played by Star, Beasley and Feliciano led to their releases.  

Edited by freddyjj

5 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Was listening to Sirius NFL network around 11:30 am today. They stated the Colts cutting Wentz was directly related to his choosing to not get Covid Vaccine.  And that Irsay the owner drove decision.

Makes me wonder if their antivax positions and subsequent loss of games played by Star, Beasley and Feliciano led to their releases.  

freddy it would be naive to think that the entire covid 19 situation didn't have ANY part of the Bill final decisions but by no means the sole factor...JMO

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Zimmer for the practice squad? Sure.

He can play and has done so when given the opportunity. Is he going to start, no , but he definitely rotate in.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Gawd, I'd blocked Corey Coleman from my mind.  That was SUCH an awful move by Beane.

Me too, literally dont remember anything about it or him, cant even tell you what position he plays 😅😅

9 hours ago, eball said:

Not sure I agree with all of your post but this part is what irks me the most about Star.  I respect that all players had the right to make a personal choice about vaccination but the guy OPTED OUT and then didn’t get vaccinated — seriously, one of the most selfish (and ignorant) things I’ve seen from any player, ever.

I'm pretty sure my personal beliefs on these issues are no secret to anyone here, but I'd like to point out that the decision to opt out due to Covid, and the decision to not get vaccinated, are separate and not necessarily contradictory FROM THE POV OF A PRO FOOTBALL PLAYER.

The one decision was made in the summer of 2020 at a time when it was unclear how well the NFL's protocols were going to be able to contain Covid inside the clubhouses and on the playing field.  The other was made in the summer of 2021 when it was clear the answer was "very well contained by the protocols"

The fact is, the NFLPA negotiated for vaccination to be voluntary, and a personal choice for the players.  There's a ***** ton of information and misinformation out there, and I personally can't judge people as "ignorant" or "selfish" who struggle to sort through it and come to a different decision than mine, even while I disagree.

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

I don't know who stated that or what their credibility might be, but it sounds very unlikely to me.

Under Reich as OC in Philly, Wentz looked primed for a stellar career.  Subsequently, Not So Much with a side-order of rumors about being a diva and unwilling to take hard coaching.

It seemed logical, when Indy needed a QB, to see if Wentz could be "rescued" by reuniting with Reich.  He improved in some regards (TDs to INTs) but overall, he did not return to playing at the kind of Franchise QB level that Indy needs to compete with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, now Watson.  He wasn't the guy they thought he would be.

He didn't play up to his $21M cap hit, or the $28M he was due this year.  Move on.

That is all.

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Again, I think that's extremely doubtful, especially given the NFL's announced move away from Covid protocols.

One need look no further than the Bills tight cap situation and need to re-sign or replace several positions.

If one scanned the Bills Salary Cap breakdown page on Spotrac and Overthecap, several guys stood out for the high Cap hit and low Dead Money on their contracts, including Beasley, Feliciano, Klein, Matakevich, and Morse.  

Morse was arguably our best OLman all season and was rewarded with an extension that raised his pay but lowered his  cap hit.  I expect to hear about a Matakevich renegotiation or cut Any Day, but with Klein gone his value as a backup LB increases.

Klein and Feliciano were strictly backups the majority of the season, so the ROI on cap isn't there and the team should cut them and move on. 

Beasley has been a very valuable contributor, but while his # of catches and snap count were the same in 2020 and 2021, his YPC and his first downs declined and more to the point, at the end of the season he was losing snaps to McKenzie.  People have commented that his separation wasn't there this season.  In addition, we have a new OC and QB coach, and it seems very likely they want to move the team in a different direction.  Therefore, Beasley's ROI for cap was lower this year and is likely to be yet lower next year.

If we take what Beane said at face value, Beasley felt Buffalo was no longer a "good fit" for him and his family due to his views on Covid, but I personally think that's a bit of face-saving hooey.  If Beasley had a 2020-like performance again this past season I think the Bills (nicely) tell him to suck it up, he's still under contract, and instruct the player engagement folks to make it a high priority to help Beas and his family work through whatever issues they had.   I think the real issue is value relative to cap space (for the Bills) and likely role/playing time (for Beasley).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He can play and has done so when given the opportunity. Is he going to start, no , but he definitely rotate in.

He has flashed in the past, but he (like Star, Harry, and Butler) has been upgraded from this week. Maybe if someone got hurt I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know who stated that or what their credibility might be, but it sounds very unlikely to me.

Under Reich as OC in Philly, Wentz looked primed for a stellar career.  Subsequently, Not So Much with a side-order of rumors about being a diva and unwilling to take hard coaching.

It was Vic Carrucci and he said it was via an insider at Colts HQ.  He implied it was not a Frank Reich move but owner interference.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually think it would be naive to think it played any particular role, other than possibly from a "best ability is Availability" assessment.

that's your opinion fine Im not arguing it. Mine is different,.

13 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

It was Vic Carrucci and he said it was via an insider at Colts HQ.  He implied it was not a Frank Reich move but owner interference.  

Well, Carrucci is solid, but stuff Ballard and Reich said post-season sounded like they weren't exactly sold on Wentz as their QB of the future - Ballard more so than Reich.  I can't bring exactly what struck me that way to mind, it's just an impression.

Edit: as I recall, Ballard said something about the trade for Wentz that sounded a lot like "it seemed like a good idea at the time but in hindsight I regret it" - not an actual quote

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, muppy said:

he's your boy I get it.  there are a lot of great posters on this site and why we are all here. GO BILLS

I never said any different and btw, if you met him in person I think that you would agree. He is modest and unassuming.

7 hours ago, Rico said:

He is the anti-CBiscuit97.

But ya know, I like it when folks go out on a limb and express opinions. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Gawd, I'd blocked Corey Coleman from my mind.  That was SUCH an awful move by Beane.

Blocking players from your mind is part of being a  Bills fan. Thankfully, we are a great team now and it happens less and less. 

I don't know how far back you go, but do you remember Chris Villarreal? We signed him as a UFA and he was a very good guard.....for 5 or 6 games until his body fell completelyy apart, and we got crushed. I had to look up his name.

Later, we signed a center from the Vikes. He looked like he coud really play, until it became apparent after a few games that he could not block anyone, ever. I blocked out his name, and perhaps 10 others just from the OL that were tear inducingly bad. 

If you think that I place too much emphasis on the importance of blocking, please cut me a bit of slack because as a Bills fan, I have seen some of the worst blockers in NFL history, and I don't want to see a probable HOF QB like our own Josh Allen get crushed.

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Blocking players from your mind is part of being a  Bills fan. Thankfully, we are a great team now and it happens less and less. 

I don't know how far back you go, but do you remember Chris Villarreal? We signed him as a UFA and he was a very good guard.....for 5 or 6 games until his body fell completelyy apart, and we got crushed. I had to look up his name.

Later, we signed a center from the Vikes. He looked like he coud really play, until it became apparent after a few games that he could not block anyone, ever. I blocked out his name, and perhaps 10 others just from the OL that were tear inducingly bad. 

If you think that I place too much emphasis on the importance of blocking, please cut me a bit of slack because as a Bills fan, I have seen some of the worst blockers in NFL history, and I don't want to see a probable HOF QB like our own Josh Allen get crushed.

Not from the Vikings, but maybe Doug Legursky?

I don’t think Big Bad Bennie Anderson gets enough credit for really sucking.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Not from the Vikings, but maybe Doug Legursky?

I don’t think Big Bad Bennie Anderson gets enough credit for really sucking.

No, this was a big, strong looking black guy. We fans were thrilled by the signing. He looked as if he was just what we needed until he took the field. He couldn't block anyone and wasn't even good at snaps. He was the Terrence Pennington (RT) of centers lol.  Someone will remember him.

And yes, Anderson was another who I completely pushed out of my mind! 👍

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

No, this was a big, strong looking black guy. We fans were thrilled by the signing. He looked as if he was just what we needed until he took the field. He couldn't block anyone and wasn't even good at snaps. He was the Terrence Pennington (RT) of centers lol.  Someone will remember him.

And yes, Anderson was another who I completely pushed out of my mind! 👍

Melvin Fowler? :D

https://www.espn.ph/nfl/news/story?id=2379178

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.