Star released. Pre-6/1 per Joe B, $1.5M cap savings.

Chandler#81

my reaction to the OP was based on the Bills being willing let go of the money already committed to Star. Not because I was shocked he won't be a Bill next season.  

Cap ramifications and planning how to and when to do such moves are financial decisions I trust to those more adept in math. That isn't me that is fo sho! 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We are getting really low on whipping boys. Bease and Star gone. Knox improved. It’s down to edmunds and ford catching all the hands. 

Hang in there!  With luck Edmunds will be gone too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

You are accurately painting a picture of Coach McD's record. He is a very good coach. I happen to like his style and the way he brings the team together. The players do play hard for him. However, that has nothing to do with his utter collasal 13 second failure. He blew the game!!! Defending his record and pointing out other coaches errors is not relevant. Additionally, the magnitude of his errors multipl two fold or more. It wasn't just a regular ho hum season game. The whole football world anticipated the matchup we spent the whole off season preparing for that very game. Literally, Bills fans including myself were devasted, sick, and lost countless hours of sleep. I know it's only football but coache's mistakes in that moment and that time shouldn't be mitigated. I'd have more respect if coach just flat out said I blew it. I let the whole team and city down. I not calling for his firing or departure but I will never forget how that game was lost. It's on the history books and it will haunt many of us for years to come. I still can fathom to watch wide right or the Tenn miracle. No need to admit your stupidity...

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

According to vocal posters on board Coach McD cannot make good game time decisions and Beane hasn't had any good free agent signings & Allen is only good 1st round pick which he got lucky on.

Me I'll still to my regular post bashing from Debbie Downers and Trolls in Disguise.

On other subject Star was a good signing originally but when C-19 came he decided to take free money to hide without protection when he came out of hiding which makes no sense.  He came into camp in good shape but as soon as he was hit he was useless so it was a good decision to take impact of letting him go now.

Beasley and Star can start a Rap and Blues band.

To be fair, most of us praised McDermott game decisions up until the 13 second melt down.  Most of us thought he had gotten more aggressive during the year. Still hard to explain the Pats MNF loss.

Nobody said Beane has not had good free agent signings. However many of us think he overpaid on guys like Murphy,Star, Addison, Butler, Morse. He has done well retaining guys. He has been far better with trades.

And he did get a bit lucky with Allen. Beane was drafting a QB at all costs in 2018 and if Allen went to the Jets we would have been playing him twice a year with Darnold or Rosen. 

As for Star, he played well enough just not up to his contract. Similar to Oliver. He has been good but not 7th overall in the draft good.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Inevitable.

Never as good as his contract, never as bad his worst detractors. A lot of dough for a fair bit of meh. 

I say don’t let the door hit you where good lord split you !!

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd have more respect if coach just flat out said I blew it. I let the whole team and city down. I not calling for his firing or departure but I will never forget how that game was lost. It's on the history books and it will haunt many of us for years to come. I still can fathom to watch wide right or the Tenn miracle. No need to admit your stupidity...

I think your take is confusing in as much as You want to hear McDermott say he messed up but in the same post you write what I bolded.  In any case your post reads to me like you may never recover from the loss in KC. So be it but I would say  something cliche here like "It is only a game" bro...its football it's supposed to be Entertainment right?  Maybe a perspective shift is needed for your own well being/sanity. Respectfully submitted-m

Edited by muppy

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

According to vocal posters on board Coach McD cannot make good game time decisions and Beane hasn't had any good free agent signings & Allen is only good 1st round pick which he got lucky on.

Me I'll still to my regular post bashing from Debbie Downers and Trolls in Disguise.

On other subject Star was a good signing originally but when C-19 came he decided to take free money to hide without protection when he came out of hiding which makes no sense.  He came into camp in good shape but as soon as he was hit he was useless so it was a good decision to take impact of letting him go now.

Beasley and Star can start a Rap and Blues band.

Not so sure Star was a good signing.  Yes the Bills had a massive void at DT.  Outside of Kyle Williams there literally was no one else decent on the roster. 

Star was always inconsistent in Carolina though he flashed at times leaving you to believe he had that potential inside him to play at a high-level more consistently.  That’s what Buffalo was banking on. 

The Bills had a lot of cap space in 2018 and chose to overpay Star to fill that void.  The signing and contract size received mixed reviews.  

I don’t think Star has ever played good in Buffalo.  He’s been average to below-average.  But he was overpaid the whole time

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

As soon as D. Jones was signed....this was coming.

Availability is the best skill

meh. I’m not upset or anything but the calculus in my head says we are probably better either star plus levi (or insert some other similar talent) over just jones for the cap space carved out by the moves 

not a catastrophe or anything but probably not the play I’d make on the cards we had. 

and I was probably among the most critical of signing him to this deal. So I guess not a fan of how he came or went 

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

meh. I’m not upset or anything but the calculus in my head says we are probably better either star plus levi (or insert some other similar talent) over just jones for the cap space carved out by the moves 

not a catastrophe or anything but probably not the play I’d make on the cards we had. 

a.  Were not done yet we are not going to sit at whee we are at corner

b.  Its D. Jones and Settle plus the retreads that are coming back

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

a.  Were not done yet we are not going to sit at whee we are at corner

b.  Its D. Jones and Settle plus the retreads that are coming back

c) you missed the point nearly 100%

The cap space of Star staying plus another good rotational player (3rd rb, 3rd lb, 3rd cb, 3rd wr, etc…) being preferred to jones (or settle) plus stars dead cap hit 

take star plus an ok vet signing and compare it to stars dead cap plus his replacement. Which makes a net better 53 man roster? 

Edited by NoSaint

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

c) you missed the point nearly 100%

The cap space of Star staying plus another good rotational player (3rd rb, 3rd lb, 3rd cb, 3rd wr, etc…) being preferred to jones (or settle) plus stars dead cap hit 

take star plus an ok vet signing and compare it to stars dead cap plus his replacement. Which makes a net better 53 man roster? 

Availability makes a better roster

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, muppy said:

I think your take is confusing in as much as You want to hear McDermott say he messed up but in the same post you write what I bolded.  In any case your post reads to me like you may never recover from the loss in KC. So be it but I would say  something cliche here like "It is only a game" bro...its football it's supposed to be Entertainment right?  Maybe a perspective shift is needed for your own well being/sanity. Respectfully submitted-m

I hear you. My post does say " I know its only football." I think you can safely interpret what that means. 

Secondly, I feel like you were very much mitigating the 13 seconds poop show by McD.  Maybe I'm wrong there?

Thirdly, leaders make mistakes and own them. Its hard to see how McD owned that surreal 13 second disaster. He repeatedly skirted the issue. Maybe he handled things in house and owned his blunder. Who knows?

Lastly, I've always liked McD. I like his attitude, toughness, motivation skills, and the winning he has brought to the Bills organization. However, last year I saw some signs that are concerning. The team was not ready to play in several games and the halftime adjustments just weren't there like previous years. Im still a supporter of the Coach especially when there's not a better proven commodity out there. Perhaps Sean Peyton? I am watching tje coaching staff very closely this year. Sometimes change isn't such as bad thing. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Availability makes a better roster

My example includes availability for up to 34 games between 2 players, how many games will the dead cap space be suiting up? 

also, stars missed very few games for injury. Like incredibly few in his career. Don’t make me defend the guy. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

My example includes availability for up to 34 games between 2 players, how many games will the dead cap space be suiting up? 

also, stars missed very few games for injury. Like incredibly few in his career. Don’t make me defend the guy. 

So you would rather the year he sat out due to covid not be added into the missed games?

Yeah I dont know about that.   Anyway it was time to move on from him regardless of dead cap......I like the guys that were brought in (the ex bills were just throw ins)

For that matter Eli Ankau basically gave us Star's production the guy we signed to a futures contract

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe it was just as simple as respect and letting him sign with another team (or do post June 1st cuts work differently)

They could have designated him a post June 1. He is free to sign immediately bills would have gotten 4.2 in space June 2. There is something that caused them to do this with normal designation freeing up 1.5M now. 

but not wanting to carry dead money into 2023 with Allen’s increase makes sense as well. 

Edited by MAJBobby

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.