Star released. Pre-6/1 per Joe B, $1.5M cap savings.

Chandler#81

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was more than meh when he played, and he never missed a game until this year outside of the COVID year he sat out.  Had he not sat out a year I would think the signing would have yielded even more results.

But while he was a good piece when on the field, we got noticeable better and more versatile at DT this year, so this was inevitable as you said.  

He had some good games. Some average games. Some poor games. I'd put his time as a Bill at a 6/10 overall. To me that is pretty meh. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Time for me to take my victory lap.  I knew that Star was gone after Beane and McDermott stopped making excuses for him as they had in the past.  

This was by far the worst contract Beane has ever written as GM of the Bills and the latest line of mistakes of the Carolina Connection.  

The Bills had a gaping need at DT and Beane and McDermott put too much faith in their former player.  At best, Star was an average DT, at his worst the return on his deal might have been the lowest at his position.

I’m glad to see the Bills get out of a very bad deal and turn the page. 

Lol…..were there a lot of people that opposed this when you wrote this the first time?  I thought it was close to a given he was gone.  The only reservation I had was that McB loves certain guys and want them around.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Nobody bats 1.000 at hiring, and if Star is the worst FA signing we ever make we'll be doing really well.

He isn't even close to the worst FA signing. He was an average to touch above average starting 1 tech for 3 seasons and opted out of another season. He was overpaid, sure. But worst FA signing? Not close for me.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Was not done as a post June 1 so we eat the hit this year and only save 1.5 - Beane trying to pump the brakes on kicking the can down the road on dead cap. 

Josh’s new money starts next year so it makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I don’t understand what any of this means can someone explain it to me like I’m twelve?

If it is pre June 1 release (standard), we save around 1,5M cap space this year and also eat all his dead cap, which is quite a lot - 7,7M.

We could also use post June 1 release, which means 2,6M more savings this year (so 4,1M savings, 5,1M dead cap), but those 2,6M would be dead cap next season (2023).

And savings this year would be effective after June 1, so we would not be able to use those money (cap space) right now in free agency.

Apparently we chose the former option.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not a  June 1st designation

Good to hear. Don't have to kick every can down the road.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We are getting really low on whipping boys. Bease and Star gone. Knox improved. It’s down to edmunds and ford catching all the hands. 

For a team that talks about depth all the time we are getting perilously thin at whipping boy. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We are getting really low on whipping boys. Bease and Star gone. Knox improved. It’s down to edmunds and ford catching all the hands. 

Well problem solved Bills will just win the Supwler Bowl setting the new undefeated standard to a 20 game win streak so we can put an end to the Dolphins having only undefeated season and taking over that record. Icing would be to beat a Brady led team in the title game and let von miller give Brady the unfinished business he mistakenly  thought was to add to his SB record....  instead it will add to his sb losses record. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't even close to the worst FA signing. He was an average to touch above average starting 1 tech for 3 seasons and opted out of another season. He was overpaid, sure. But worst FA signing? Not close for me.

I actually do think Star is the worst FA acquisition of the Beane era.  He's a perfectly okay starter, but he was getting paid to be better than that, and then you have to factor in his game-day availability which seems unreliable at this point.  

I know we can point back to guys like Kelvin Benjamin, Vonte Davis, and Josh Norman, but those guys didn't cost much and were mainly just warm bodies who were signed as place-holders while we built a legitimate roster.  I'm pretty sure Beane and McDermott expected Star to be a real cornerstone of the D-line, and that never happened.  

(Edit: I know we traded for Benjamin -- I was thinking of player acquisitions a little more broadly than just FA.)

Edited by BillsFanSD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.