WR or CB in round 1?

Rigotz

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Trade up for a real need when this season is all in.

This is best of bpa and need. Don't go nuts but if players you like at 25 start to become scarce, go up and get one.

How many rookies didn't make team last year? This year our roster is even more solid

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Corner. But if Bates isn't back OG. 1st round WR is a luxury since the starters are still there.  They need to find a starting CB before May.  

I don't think taking a guard in the 1st is good use of resources, especially when he probably won't be the #1 ranked guard by #25

• Like (+1) 1

This draft class is pretty deep in very good WR talent and will be available into second and third rounds.  CB is not as deep and the talent drops off pretty fast after the top six guys.  If those guys are all gone at pick 25, WR may be the best choice.  If one of the six CB's are there, CB will probably be the smartest pick.  

If they go CB in round one, it is likely that he will become the CB #1 for the Bills at the end of White's second contract.  Many CB #1 guys with diminishing skills end up having to chase a third contract with another team.  It is likely to happen to White also.  The end of a rookie deal and White's second contract seem to align for a workable transition.  When it comes to Beane and his drafting, it will be anybody's guess.  If he really likes a player that falls to pick 25 regardless of position, he will pull the trigger.

40 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't think taking a guard in the 1st is good use of resources, especially when he probably won't be the #1 ranked guard by #25

Agreed. For interior OL at #25, it would have to be Linderbaum. Mayyyyyybe Ekwonu (big maybe).

But we havent met with either of them (that we know of), so it seems unlikely.

I think the top rated C/G we've met with has been Kenyon Greene. Maybe a trade up in the 2nd to grab him.

38 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Sign Crowder, trade up to land best CB possible within reason. Leaving later rounds to address depth at LB, OL, another CB and late round WR & RB.

Please no to trading up.  There will be solid corners available for us @25

45 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

This draft class is pretty deep in very good WR talent and will be available into second and third rounds.  CB is not as deep and the talent drops off pretty fast after the top six guys.  If those guys are all gone at pick 25, WR may be the best choice.  If one of the six CB's are there, CB will probably be the smartest pick.  

If they go CB in round one, it is likely that he will become the CB #1 for the Bills at the end of White's second contract.  Many CB #1 guys with diminishing skills end up having to chase a third contract with another team.  It is likely to happen to White also.  The end of a rookie deal and White's second contract seem to align for a workable transition.  When it comes to Beane and his drafting, it will be anybody's guess.  If he really likes a player that falls to pick 25 regardless of position, he will pull the trigger.

Interesting, I view it differently.  While there may be good WR talent, I see a significant tier drop after the top 7 or so.  If they don't take a WR in round one they will be looking into the second tier.

I'd rather have a S Diggs/D Jackson type draft than a T White/G Davis.

Running Back…it’s our weakest position… adding Breece Hall, Isaiah Spiller or Kenneth Walker would make our offense much more potent than another WR.  Hall is a big and fast RB who would excel in our system.  Spiller is big but doesn’t possess Halls speed but has all the other attributes and is at his size much faster and larger than Singletary.  Walker is a burner and still larger than Singletary.  I am not opposed to taking a CB with our 1st Rd pick but doubt Breece Hall will be there at pick 57.  He might not be there at pick 25.  If we go CB, I would go RB at pick 57.  Round 3, grab your WR potentially Robert Meetchie and then use the rest of the draft to fill holes and depth unless punter Matt Araiza drops to the 4th round.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Draft the best player.  Period

At position of need, it’s what all teams do the vast majority of the time, we have a real “need” for a good CB, need to fill two WR spots, OL, etc etc etc not very likely to take a player at a position we are well stocked in, just how it goes most of the time. Not that it would be a bad idea, 

Go Bills!!!

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

At position of need, it’s what all teams do the vast majority of the time, we have a real “need” for a good CB, need to fill two WR spots, OL, etc etc etc not very likely to take a player at a position we are well stocked in, just how it goes most of the time. Not that it would be a bad idea, 

Go Bills!!!

I agree….but one’s opinion of what is a “need” is subjective.  We definitely NEED a corner.  If Bates leaves, we NEED a guard.  I don’t think we NEED to fill 2 WR spots.  I def feel that we need to fill 1 for sure.  But with Oj, I think we play more 12 and the 5th we will play mainly due to injury.  

that said, if a DE is available that we have as the bpa, I think we could go DE.  Maybe not….but maybe.  Same with DT.  If Devonte Wyatt is there, he might be the pick.  If the FO has question marks about the bpa at a position of need while having no question marks about another player at a position of lesser need, I think there’s a dilemma and some GMs would take the guy with no questions marks.

7 minutes ago, FarrellsFinest said:

I think we can trade up with NYG #7 pick with our #25 and #89 plus next years first Round pick, and grab a top CB. Then draft WR round 2. I like the kid from memphis.

I’d puke.  If we want a good cornerback, there will plenty of solid options @ 25.

13 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Running Back…it’s our weakest position… adding Breece Hall, Isaiah Spiller or Kenneth Walker would make our offense much more potent than another WR.  Hall is a big and fast RB who would excel in our system.  Spiller is big but doesn’t possess Halls speed but has all the other attributes and is at his size much faster and larger than Singletary.  Walker is a burner and still larger than Singletary.  I am not opposed to taking a CB with our 1st Rd pick but doubt Breece Hall will be there at pick 57.  He might not be there at pick 25.  If we go CB, I would go RB at pick 57.  Round 3, grab your WR potentially Robert Meetchie and then use the rest of the draft to fill holes and depth unless punter Matt Araiza drops to the 4th round.

I don’t understand the spiller love.  

araiza in rd 4…..ugh.  We don’t plan on punting. 

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

And the smarter teams add a financial consideration to the mix.  For instance, the tier 1 RBs are estimated in FA at $7M while WRs are going over $15M for C Kirk types.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree….but one’s opinion of what is a “need” is subjective.  We definitely NEED a corner.  If Bates leaves, we NEED a guard.  I don’t think we NEED to fill 2 WR spots.  I def feel that we need to fill 1 for sure.  But with Oj, I think we play more 12 and the 5th we will play mainly due to injury.  

that said, if a DE is available that we have as the bpa, I think we could go DE.  Maybe not….but maybe.  Same with DT.  If Devonte Wyatt is there, he might be the pick.  If the FO has question marks about the bpa at a position of need while having no question marks about another player at a position of lesser need, I think there’s a dilemma and some GMs would take the guy with no questions marks.

I’d puke.  If we want a good cornerback, there will plenty of solid options @ 25.

Yup, it is a bit subjective for sure, it always interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Highest rated one i don’t care CB or WR… if i had to pick then I’d go corner round 1 receiver round 2

Pretty much this.  If Jameson Williams is still on the board, he might the kind of high impact draft pick you have to pick based on his elite athleticism and production last season.  There is a small risk he's not ready at the start of the season, and the ACL tear might mean he's somewhat less productive as a rookie than he might have been, but he is a big time player.  If he's gone, there will probably be a good value at either position, and possibly both.  

The only hitch in this thinking would be if the Bills fail to sign Bates.  The Patriots want him and have more cap dollars to spend.  They could make it hard for Buffalo to match.  Buffalo might need to consider Zion Johnson C/G from Boston College.

Edited by BigAl2526

Assuming protection up front is good enough, let’s not underestimate how Allen is the type of QB that elevates the game of his weapons. I truly believe if we went into a game with Diggs-Davis-McKenzie at WR we could drop 30+… on ANY team.

CB on the other hand… if Tre white really isn’t available until week 6 like OP suggested… that HAS to be #1 priority as of now.

id even argue OL gets priority over WR as of now if we lose Ryan Bates.

if Bates creates a void on our OL then priorities should be

1. CB

2. OL

3. WR

1 hour ago, FarrellsFinest said:

I think we can trade up with NYG #7 pick with our #25 and #89 plus next years first Round pick, and grab a top CB. Then draft WR round 2. I like the kid from memphis.

Mr Whaley,

Didn't you learn anything from the Watkins trade?  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.