WR or CB in round 1?

Rigotz

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya, but I don’t really see why we wouldn’t if there are too 15 talents sitting there @ 25.  Epenesa is most likely trash.  Rousseau might develop into a stud pass rusher but I think he’s going be be a run stopping beast that cleans up the messes made by the other guys.  Basham, a clean up guy imo.  Walker/Johnson would be a great add to this group imo.  We rotate 4 DEs.  Miller, Rousseau, Walker/Johnson, Basham.  

While DE isn’t a need, upgrading your pass rush should always be a priority. Always. Getting a stud pass rusher @ 25, locked into a 5 year rookie deal.  Those are the moves that allow for continued success and would do wonders for our future.  

jmo

Which is my argument for WR. Show me where on this roster that we have talent on offense that is locked in for cheap?  Maybe Brown?  Doyle?  

Diggs will get extended. McKenzie is only on a 2 year deal. Davis might prove himself out of a second contract here if he continues to develop. We can’t back ourselves into a corner in a year or two at WR. We should take one in 1 this year and have him cheap for 5’yeara with a couple years to develop and learn behind our existing Corp. 

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Every GM will tell you they want to draft BPA. But every GM ultimately ends up drafting BPA at position of need. You dont want to reach on need too much, but it always plays into the equation. Beane is no different. All his picks are typically BPA at a position of need.

This 100%! The reality is there is no difference between player 15 and player 50.  The bust rate for the entire first round is 50% and 27% for the entire second round. That tells me there is little difference for those guys at the bottom of round 1 and top of round 2. Therefore you draft for need within reason. Every year there seems to be a run on a position or two. So if 7 CBs go off the board by pick 25 then sure take a WR or OT.  If you avoid ridiculous reaches like EJ Manuel you will do as well as everyone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right on. I'm just going off Draftek rankings since it's so hard to guess who will be available when.

Im interested in Elam too.

I also believe McD could make do with a 3rd or 4th round CB. But if the talent is there and available, and we really dont have any other holes, might as well.

Elam is interesting and I think he gets lost in the shuffle with the guys at the top. He’s definitely interesting and I’d take him over mccreary or Gordon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The WR depth is much greater than the CB depth in this draft. Unless Gardner, Stingley, Booth, McDuffie and maybe Elam are off the board it has to be CB. 

You could get Alec Pierce, Calvin Austin, Skyy Moore, etc etc etc in round 2 or 3. 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right on. I'm just going off Draftek rankings since it's so hard to guess who will be available when.

Im interested in Elam too.

I also believe McD could make do with a 3rd or 4th round CB. But if the talent is there and available, and we really dont have any other holes, might as well.

Drafttek's rankings are horrible, wouldn't recommend using them as a baseline. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Which is my argument for WR. Show me where on this roster that we have talent on offense that is locked in for cheap?  Maybe Brown?  Doyle?  

Diggs will get extended. McKenzie is only on a 2 year deal. Davis might prove himself out of a second contract here if he continues to develop. We can’t back ourselves into a corner in a year or two at WR. We should take one in 1 this year and have him cheap for 5’yeara with a couple years to develop and learn behind our existing Corp. 

I think most would agree they need a young WR. I cant imagine them not adding one by round 2. Would be interesting to see if Beane would part with a second round pick for an established guy still on his rookie deal.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This 100%! The reality is there is no difference between player 15 and player 50.  The bust rate for the entire first round is 50% and 27% for the entire second round. That tells me there is little difference for those guys at the bottom of round 1 and top of round 2. Therefore you draft for need within reason. Every year there seems to be a run on a position or two. So if 7 CBs go off the board by pick 25 then sure take a WR or OT.  If you avoid ridiculous reaches like EJ Manuel you will do as well as everyone else. 

These are my thoughts too. I’m basing a lot off of how many corners I think will be gone by 25. We shouldn’t take a corner just because we need one. It has to be the right player with the correct skill set and I’m sure Beane understands that.  

• Like (+1) 1

WR!  - Don't Green Bay up Josh, show him soe 1st round love now.  It will be BPA because one of the top 5 should be there.  This is financially sound because if you hit, you have a $20M asset at a rookie price for 3 to 4 years.

I also didn't see the option of adding Julio Jones at what we call a contender, "prove it" discount (let's keep the Jones' collection going).  Of course he'd get injured part way through the season, but we're counting on it to get our new stud rookie onto the field.  

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You had me until the end.

We traded down to #17, and still took the 1st QB off the board. Sure, it was a pick based purely on need, but I cant call it a "ridiculous" reach with the trade down and first dibs.

Whitner will always be the best example of reaching on need. A top-10 pick used on a need when there were many better players there for the taking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I agree.  I prefer WR over every position.  Would LOVE Olave or Jameson.  Happy with Burks, Wilson or london.  I think 1 of those guys might be there, but also a chance they’re all taken.  Dotson, Watson maybe reaches @ 25.  There are several guys I like in later rounds that can be weapons with 17, similar to gabe Davis’ in impact.  

CB might be the smartest option considering the players available.  I love the top 7 or so corners and think they could be the best value.  I’m crushing on Elam atm due to measurable.  If he’s there, he should probably be the pick.

i agree 💯 about adding a low cost, long term wr.  We have Davis on the cheap for 2 more but he might be gone after that.  He’ll hopefully have won his rings by then and can become the next Alvin Harper.  

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

The case for WR: "You never want to lose your fastball"

Depth Chart Losses:

WR1: Diggs

WR2: Sanders

WR3: Beasley

WR4: Davis

WR5: McKenzie

WR6: Jake Kumerow

WR7: Isaiah Hodgins

WR8: Tanner Gentry

Best WR left in Free Agency:

Odell Beckham - torn ACL

Jarvis Landry

JuJu Smith-Schuster

Marques Valdes-Scantling

TY Hilton

Jamison Crowder

Sammy Watkins

Will Fuller

Keelan Cole

AJ Green

Emannuel Sanders

The case for CB: "Questionable starters and lack of certainty in Tre White's return"

CB1: Tre White - hopeful return week 6-10

CB2: Levi Wallace

Nickel: Taron Johnson

CB3: Dane Jackson 

CB4: Siran Neal

CB5: Cam Lewis

CB6: Olaijah Griffin

CB7: Nick McCloud

Best CB left in Free Agency:

Stephon Gilmore

Tyrann Mathieu (CB/S)

Jackrabbit Jenkins

Donte Jackson

Steven Nelson

Patrick Peterson

Bryce Callahan

Joe Haden

Robert Alford

AJ Bouye

"BPA" is the easy answer, but given equally talented players at both positions, which would you pick to address first?

We need another option at WR. Take a corner 2nd round. 

i look at it like this:  if poo hits the fan and Diggs goes down w an injury for an extended period we are in serious trouble vs good teams, regardless of who we have at corner. 

if poo hits the fan and we have an injury at Corner, its going to suck, but we arent shutting KC or LA to 20pts regardless of who we have at corner so having the ability to outscore them gives us the best chance. 

All things being equal and the state of affairs in the NFL w offense going bonkers, we have to be able to score at will. Just my 2cents. 

Edited by bobobonators

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You had me until the end.

We traded down to #17, and still took the 1st QB off the board. Sure, it was a pick based purely on need, but I cant call it a "ridiculous" reach with the trade down and first dibs.

Whitner will always be the best example of reaching on need. A top-10 pick used on a need when there were many better players there for the taking.

Agree 100% on Whitner. 

Manuel was rated a 3rd round talent. So yes Nix did at least trade down and get a little extra value.

I mean without question CB is our biggest hole.  

We have 2 starters at WR in Diggs and Davis.  Currently we have zero starting CB’s.  Tre should be back, but no guarantee he doesn’t have a set back, and no clue to what kind of player he will be when he first comes back.  It can take a while to regain form even after returning.  

So if the two players are equal, we need a CB.  

BUT:  The correct answer is, and will be, the BPA according to Beane’s board.  The one caveat is that Beane has said that when there are multiple players there that are all graded pretty similarly, then things like the depth of the draft at each position plays a role.  So they may take the 2nd guy on their board instead if there is a bigger drop off in the next rounds at that position.  But again, only in a situation where they have similar grades.  

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

The case for WR: "You never want to lose your fastball"

Depth Chart Losses:

WR1: Diggs

WR2: Davis

WR3: McKenzie

WR6: Jake Kumerow

WR7: Isaiah Hodgins

WR8: Tanner Gentry

Best WR left in Free Agency:

Odell Beckham - torn ACL NO

Jarvis Landry HARD NO

JuJu Smith-Schuster MAYBE

Marques Valdes-Scantling Don't Know

TY Hilton NO

Jamison Crowder NO

Sammy Watkins NO

Will Fuller MAYBE Never really impressed me

Keelan Cole Don't Know

AJ Green NO

Emannuel Sanders NO

The Wide Receivers in this draft are all better than any of these guys.

The case for CB: "Questionable starters and lack of certainty in Tre White's return"

CB1: Tre White - hopeful return week 6-10

CB2: Dane Jackson 

CB3: Cam Lewis

Nickel: Taron Johnson

CB4: Siran Neal

CB6: Olaijah Griffin

CB7: Nick McCloud

Best CB left in Free Agency:

Stephon Gilmore MAYBE

Tyrann Mathieu (CB/S) YES but probably out of price range given Bills FA signings already

Jackrabbit Jenkins

Donte Jackson

Steven Nelson

Patrick Peterson

Bryce Callahan

Joe Haden

Robert Alford

AJ Bouye

"BPA" is the easy answer, but given equally talented players at both positions, which would you pick to address first?

BPA at either WR or CB in rounds 1 & 2. 

RB or TE in round 3

OL, CB, DL, S in remaining rounds.

Correction:  if we lose Bates, then OL in 3rd round.

Edited by mabden

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.