What to do at CB?

GreggTX

13 hours ago, dneveu said:

I'm opposed to trading up for anyone in this draft.  We need a ton of depth - LB, CB, WR, RB, OG, OT

But will all that drafted depth actually make the 53-man roster? And if not, will they be poached (either when initially waived or as members of the PS)? That seems to be the debate around how to use this year's picks. There IS a case to be made for packaging picks to move up at some point in the 2022 draft. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

But will all that drafted depth actually make the 53-man roster? And if not, will they be poached (either when initially waived or as members of the PS)? That seems to be the debate around how to use this year's picks. There IS a case to be made for packaging picks to move up at some point in the 2022 draft. 

Our LB depth took a hit when we lost Klein, and as of today he has not been replaced.  You also have to look to the future of possible life without Edmunds.  

Our Guard depth went from feliciano as next man up - to boettger and ford.  They've played plenty but neither is who you want if someone goes down.  Feliciano missed a bunch of time last year and we saw a bunch of these 2 and they stunk.  

Our tackle depth goes from Williams who can kick out to RT, to a 5th round pick in Doyle and no one else.  

Corner - lost wallace add jackson is honestly probably a wash to me, but they still need a player here if white isn't healthy enough to go as well as to push jackson.

RB - Singletary is on an expiring, moss had a truly terrible year, johnson is a patch fill in.  Could use some talent here but i'd hate it in the first.  

WR - Top 4 is fairly set, but behind diggs and davis is a ST guy and question marks.  Gentry Hodgins Stevenson as options at WR5 on a team that is majority 3 wide.  

We're talking about pushing these guys off the roster: 

Dodson

Ford

Doyle (we need another tackle anyway)

Lewis

Moss

Stevenson

I don't think I really want any of them on the roster?  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

Jameson Williams said today he expects to be cleared by training camp. He tore his acl 2 months after Tre. 8 months seems to be the new average for ACls without setbacks. 6 months is becoming more common however.

Ive also read non contact tears are more clean.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Jameson Williams said today he expects to be cleared by training camp. He tore his acl 2 months after Tre. 8 months seems to be the new average for ACls without setbacks. 6 months is becoming more common however.

Ive also read non contact tears are more clean.

Great news on one front, but not on the other. 

Been saying that Tre will likely be back sooner than most of us expected. However, Williams will now be out of our reach if he’s cleared that early. 

On 3/29/2022 at 9:30 AM, longtimebillsfan said:

To answer the original question on this thread, trust Beane.  He has consistently demonstrated that he has a plan.

There is a reason Beane is where he is and we are providing our expert guidence on Two Bills Drive

Amen 

🙏

3 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

He was always gonna be out of reach.

Disagree. There was a chance if there wasn’t a timeline on his recovery. Only certain teams have the benefit of being able to wait a few months…we are one of them. 

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Trade up and get the fastest/best CB available.

This is our year, we can't blow the #1 seed because we lost a couple games in September because we didn't have a CB2.

Even though it was our offense that lost a couple games in the middle of the season last year?  Sorry. I disagree with this. Dane Jackson has two years in this system and he was the reason they didn’t draft a corner last year. They really like him. 

Can someone please remind me who had the number one defense last year and led the league in fewest tds allowed?

44 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Disagree. There was a chance if there wasn’t a timeline on his recovery. Only certain teams have the benefit of being able to wait a few months…we are one of them. 

Agree to disagree.  Everyone knows the timeline for his injury.  It was always a pipe dream amongst fans that he would fall to the Bills.  In the real world he wasn't going to, nor will it ever happen.  On draft day the conjecture disappears and NFL GM's aren't going to let it happen.

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Even though it was our offense that lost a couple games in the middle of the season last year?  Sorry. I disagree with this. Dane Jackson has two years in this system and he was the reason they didn’t draft a corner last year. They really like him. 

Can someone please remind me who had the number one defense last year and led the league in fewest tds allowed?

The offense lost games because the o-line was bad. Mostly due to injuries.

By that logic, we should draft an o-lineman first.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

The offense lost games because the o-line was bad. Mostly due to injuries.

By that logic, we should draft an o-lineman first.

I would be ok with that. 

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Agree to disagree.  Everyone knows the timeline for his injury.  It was always a pipe dream amongst fans that he would fall to the Bills.  In the real world he wasn't going to, nor will it ever happen.  On draft day the conjecture disappears and NFL GM's aren't going to let it happen.

So Jeffrey Simmons didn’t slip because of is acl tear?  How about jaylon smith?  Happens all the time. Simmons and smith were considered top 5 picks.  The question is…where was he originally slated and how far will he fall. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 3/28/2022 at 8:38 PM, Motor26 said:

I like Dax Hill. Athletic enough to play outside corner full time, nickel, safety. Feel like McDermott would love him as a chess piece to move all over the defense. 

I think Dax Hill is a great sneaky pick.  Weve been looking for a big nickel- maybe Dax is that

• Like (+1) 1

I could see the Bills swinging a trade for a CB.

If Kenny Pickett is still on the board at 25 maybe New Orleans would trade up:

Saints get #25 to draft Pickett.

Bills get 2nd year CB from Stanford Paulson Adebo........who I think the Bills really liked in last years draft.........as well as pick #49 and #98(New Orleans first comp pick).

Adebo was a big hit for New Orleans so maybe they would value him too high to use him in a trade up..........but this is the kind of thing that should be on the table for the Bills.

It shouldn't just be about having to start a rookie or sign a tired vet if it's believed that White might not be ready to start the season.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:11 AM, dneveu said:

I'm opposed to trading up for anyone in this draft.  We need a ton of depth - LB, CB, WR, RB, OG, OT

Depth is for the later rounds. They need high end talent on the Oline and at CB. They need studs not more average players. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, whorlnut said:

You don’t draft for need. Are you kidding me?  IF corner is BPA at 25, then fine. But I’m hearing a lot of you say it has to be a corner. That’s completely reckless. Not all the corners are the same. Guys like Gardner, Booth, McDuffie, and Stingley are the obvious first rounders. Gordon did not have good numbers at the combine and his stock has dropped. Elam has his issue and mccreary has absurdly short arms. Do you really think Beane is gonna draft a guy with sub 29” arms to play the boundary?  No way. Heck, McDuffie has short arms too. Dane Jackson has better measurables. 

All four of the corners I mentioned as first rounders will probably be gone. Do you still want Beane to draft one “just because we need one”?  Count me out on that. We can possibly get someone like Gordon or Woolen in round 2 and get a big upgrade at the position. It doesn’t “have to be” corner at 25. 

Drafting solely for need in the first yields gems like John McCargo, Aaron Maybin, and EJ Manuel.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Drafting solely for need in the first yields gems like John McCargo, Aaron Maybin, and EJ Manuel.

And the Bills are very talented at most every position.  BPA all the way!  Stud players fall every draft.  The Bills can just sit back and take the highest rated player on their board, no matter a WR, S, RB, CB, OL any position they had a superior grade on player.  That must scare the hell out of the rest of the league. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I could see the Bills swinging a trade for a CB.

If Kenny Pickett is still on the board at 25 maybe New Orleans would trade up:

Saints get #25 to draft Pickett.

Bills get 2nd year CB from Stanford Paulson Adebo........who I think the Bills really liked in last years draft.........as well as pick #49 and #98(New Orleans first comp pick).

Adebo was a big hit for New Orleans so maybe they would value him too high to use him in a trade up..........but this is the kind of thing that should be on the table for the Bills.

It shouldn't just be about having to start a rookie or sign a tired vet if it's believed that White might not be ready to start the season.   

Love it. Then trade up for a WR they really like if need be. Winning lol

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with those who think we go, in some order:  WR, CB, OL in the first 3 rounds.   The odds are decent that those positions are also the BPA at where we’re drafting when you look at mock draft boards.  

The only potential disruptions I could see to assuming those positions, if we go BPA, would be a DL or RB that drops… Devonte Wyatt or Jordan Davis in RD1 or a RB they like that drops to the late 2nd/3rd. 

Daxton Hill is interesting at Safety, but if a team takes him in RD1, it seems good odds that  they draft him as a CB. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.