What to do at CB?

GreggTX

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

No it won’t. You convert Allen’s Base to Bonus. BOOM all the space you need for player retention. 

Is there a limit on how many times they can do that or other complications if they do that? I dont know, so thats why I ask. :)

49 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

1A)

• Wait for Bradberry's price to come down/get released and keep our 2022 3rd round pick.
  • Spend a pick somewhere RD1 - RD3 on a CB and a pick RD5 or later on a CB. 

1B)

• Sign 1 of Joe Haden, Xavier Rhodes or Steven Nelson for less than the $6.5M and keep our 2022 3rd round pick.

Either of the proposed scenarios gives you a fill-in CB1 while White is still recovering as well as an option to compete with Jackson for CB2 while White is recovering. Plus a developmental option that compete to make the roster and/or end up on the practice squad. 

CB1 - Bradberry/Haden/Rhodes/Nelson

CB2 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick

SLOT - Johnson

CB4 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick/RD 5 or later draft pick

Once White returns everyone shifts down one spot.

CB 1 - White

CB 2 - Bradberry/Haden/Rhodes/Nelson

SLOT - Johnson

CB4 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick

There's also Siran Neal who factors in. He's plays more of a hybrid role, but part of his extension was the fact that he'd contribute more on defense. 

I'm not advocating to disregard the CB position by any means - this proposed price for Bradberry is far too much. This defense is extremely CB friendly, no need to overpay for a guy who isn't significantly better than alternative options available. 

You also have Cam Lewis

1 minute ago, letsgoteam said:

Is there a limit on how many times they can do that or other complications if they do that? I dont know, so thats why I ask. :)

Eventually it will catch up to you..  But a player like Allen (QB) that will not leave Buffalo that option is open again and again and again if they want to.  Eventually though it will cause other players to leave. 

Example on Allen new contract there are Three years at the back end of the deal that have 0 prorated singing bonuses.  

His biggest Bases are 27.5M next year (can clear alot of space) with turning it into Bonus (guessing already planned as there is 0 Roster bonus Next year as well)

2024 Base is 23.5 (6M roster bonus)

2025 base is 14M (25M roster bonus)

2026 (another window) 22.5M Base (zero prorated signing bonus, 15M Roster)

2027 14M base (0 prorated signing, 25M Roster)

2028 15.5M base (0 Prorated signing, 25M Roster)

4 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

You also have Cam Lewis

If it’s a player you expect to be there long term, it makes sense because you are just spreading cap out to future years. You get in trouble with dead cap if you spread money out in years the player is gone. You need to account for it somehow now or later. For example the falcons restructured Matt Ryan to The point of having 40 mill in dead cap space now that he’s gone because they kept pushing out the cap hit. 

2 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Trade Edmunds and get more cap space for Bradberry.

Just Stop, guys. 

Or if you MUST continue, explain that if Edmunds is so bad we want to trade him, why will our trade partner take him on a 1 year rental for $12M fully guaranteed? 

Then explain what your plan is for the Bills to assure competent MLB play with minimal cap space, and how this doesn't just leave another big hole for the Bills to try to fill in the draft along with OG, CB, and a shot at upgrading TE or WR

• Thank you (+1) 5

56 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

1A)

• Wait for Bradberry's price to come down/get released and keep our 2022 3rd round pick.

1B)

• Sign 1 of Joe Haden, Xavier Rhodes or Steven Nelson for less than the $6.5M and keep our 2022 3rd round pick.

Either of the proposed scenarios gives you a fill-in CB1 while White is still recovering as well as an option to compete with Jackson for CB2 while White is recovering. Plus a developmental option that compete to make the roster and/or end up on the practice squad. 

CB1 - Bradberry/Haden/Rhodes/Nelson

CB2 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick

SLOT - Johnson

CB4 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick/RD 5 or later draft pick

Once White returns everyone shifts down one spot.

CB 1 - White

CB 2 - Bradberry/Haden/Rhodes/Nelson

SLOT - Johnson

CB4 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick

There's also Siran Neal who factors in. He's plays more of a hybrid role, but part of his extension was the fact that he'd contribute more on defense. 

I'm not advocating to disregard the CB position by any means - this proposed price for Bradberry is far too much. This defense is extremely CB friendly, no need to overpay for a guy who isn't significantly better than alternative options available. 

This^^^. Awesome post 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

While sure yes, that is the case.  I was using the at current cap space available.

Also, I am still under the impression Beane meant it when he said "He doesnt really like doing that" which i probably shouldn't be.

But Beane can sign Bradberry and still be truthful to "He doesn't really like doing that". 

A major transaction has occured and the 2022 season outlook has changed significantly.  Beane may not like it, but when he critically looks at the opportunity he may conclude it is worth taking a more aggressive short term approach.  It has for me, so I could see how it may for him.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

If the team is not willing to get a legit CB2 and are relying on a unknown draft pick. Why did we sign Von Miller again?  

it should be Lombardi or Bust THIS year. 

I like the way Beane is doing it.   Taking away the bust part.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep. And if it secures the CB spot and helps get a Trophy would you really care about not having a 2022 Late 3rd?

I'm hoping Beane makes an in-season deal. Start the season, season what our weaknesses and injuries are and make an in-season move to fill the biggest hole. Kind of like what the Rams did with Von Miller last year.

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Eventually it will catch up to you..  But a player like Allen (QB) that will not leave Buffalo that option is open again and again and again if they want to.  Eventually though it will cause other players to leave. 

Example on Allen new contract there are Three years at the back end of the deal that have 0 prorated singing bonuses.  

His biggest Bases are 27.5M next year (can clear alot of space) with turning it into Bonus (guessing already planned as there is 0 Roster bonus Next year as well)

2024 Base is 23.5 (6M roster bonus)

2025 base is 14M (25M roster bonus)

2026 (another window) 22.5M Base (zero prorated signing bonus, 15M Roster)

2027 14M base (0 prorated signing, 25M Roster)

2028 15.5M base (0 Prorated signing, 25M Roster)

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If it’s a player you expect to be there long term, it makes sense because you are just spreading cap out to future years. You get in trouble with dead cap if you spread money out in years the player is gone. You need to account for it somehow now or later. For example the falcons restructured Matt Ryan to The point of having 40 mill in dead cap space now that he’s gone because they kept pushing out the cap hit. 

Thank you

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just Stop, guys. 

Or if you MUST continue, explain that if Edmunds is so bad we want to trade him, why will our trade partner take him on a 1 year rental for $12M fully guaranteed? 

Then explain what your plan is for the Bills to assure competent MLB play with minimal cap space, and how this doesn't just leave another big hole for the Bills to try to fill in the draft along with OG, CB, and a shot at upgrading TE or WR

Yeah he sucks, but the Bills are going to get a 2nd round draft pick for him!   LOL

WRT Bradberry, I don't like giving up draft picks (as would be with Edmunds too)  For a one year player.  I'd be more happy if they Bills went the Tyrek Hill route trade for him let the Giants take on some of the salary, but then redo the contract.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

In a world where it’s guaranteed - absolutely.

Unfortunately it’s not, and I’m skeptical James Bradberry is the missing link to winning a Super Bowl. 

The Giants are getting desperate to move him. I’m not giving up a 3rd for 1 year and taking a $6.5M cap hit. 

He isnt the missing link but he is helping while we get Tre back and becomes a good #2 once he is for the playoff push.

This is all for a home field first week bye. Need the talent in the back end until we get our #1 back and up to speed.

Edited by TBBills

33 minutes ago, eee1776 said:

Who would you rather have at MLB Edmonds or Billy Wagner if you could save some money?.

You could probably get Billy Wagner on the cheap, but Bobby Wagner...thats gonna cost you a little more....

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@GunnerBill, @Buffalo716 have y’all had a chance to check out Zyon McCullom? Played in FCS, but has size and speed 

A very intriguing cb. He's actually rated slightly higher than Woolen, Taylor-Britt and Castro-Fields. His size and speed is impressive. They would have to work on his tackling and aggressiveness. I could see him in the 5th? Still praying McDuffie falls to 25. If he does you sprint to the podium. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Yes, let's create an even bigger hole.

You mean like the one Edmunds continually misses 😂.  In all seriousness, he’s still extremely you and has tons of untapped potential but his salary does not match his play IMHO.  An upgrade at CB (especially if Tre misses time) could arguable be more pivotal to the Def than a MLB.  I’m not sold on a rookie DB improving our SB odds next year. In the future, yes, just not this year.  

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You mean like the one Edmunds continually misses 😂.  In all seriousness, he’s still extremely you and has tons of untapped potential but his salary does not match his play IMHO.  An upgrade at CB (especially if Tre misses time) could arguable be more pivotal to the Def than a MLB.  I’m not sold on a rookie DB improving our SB odds next year. In the future, yes, just not this year.  

McDermott's defenses have a history starting a young or average CB at one and sometimes both CB positions.  On the other hand, McDermott has always had a MLB that eat up the middle of the field. I know (too many) fans dismiss Edmunds' contributions but I'm confident McDermott has no interest in swapping out his captain for an upgrade at CB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.