What to do at CB?

GreggTX

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

They may have more information and be more confident in White for the start of the season than us.  But for me, either way, I would like to see another vet brought in, and Bradberry seems like he would be at the top of the list.

A 3rd and $6.5M is steep though.  Probably have to weigh that with the same cost and no 3rd for Haden.

And Haden is the lesser CB. Steelers fans are happy “Slow” Joe is a UFA 

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If the team is not willing to get a legit CB2 and are relying on a unknown draft pick. Why did we sign Von Miller again?  

it should be Lombardi or Bust THIS year. 

One would think so, 

We all know Beane doesn’t sleep, so I for one am not worried about this, Beane and his guys will work this out . 

I completely get the idea of upgrading the CB room.  Bradberry is intriguing. 

What I don’t get is people using Miami as a reasoning. 

Even when healthy, and if we get Bradberry.  You can’t just put White on Hill and Bradberry on Waddle.   

That offense is going to be a different animal with all their speed.   

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I completely get the idea of upgrading the CB room.  Bradberry is intriguing. 

What I don’t get is people using Miami as a reasoning. 

Even when healthy, and if we get Bradberry.  You can’t just put White on Hill and Bradberry on Waddle.   

That offense is going to be a different animal with all their speed.   

Agree the constant over rating of MIA on this board every year is weird. 

my evaluation on Bradberry for Bills has nothing to do with MIA and everything to do with the depth and injuries in the Bills CB room. 

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s been a while since I watched a Giants game…is Bradberry any good?  If so, why don’t the Gints want him?

Wallace has played better than him the last few seasons but Bradberry has a higher ceiling.

I trust McD with him and liked him coming out but he has not transitioned as well, nor grown like expected to the NFL. He is akin to Edmunds at his position.

I'd have rather had Wallace at a cheaper cost who plays just as well. His $$ is ridiculous for his level of play.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

so you plan for CB2 and Insurance to white is????  

1A)

• Wait for Bradberry's price to come down/get released and keep our 2022 3rd round pick.
  • Spend a pick somewhere RD1 - RD3 on a CB and a pick RD5 or later on a CB. 

1B)

• Sign 1 of Joe Haden, Xavier Rhodes or Steven Nelson for less than the $6.5M and keep our 2022 3rd round pick.
  • Spend a pick somewhere RD1 - RD3 on a CB and a pick RD5 or later on a CB. 

Either of the proposed scenarios gives you a fill-in CB1 while White is still recovering as well as an option to compete with Jackson for CB2 while White is recovering. Plus a developmental option that compete to make the roster and/or end up on the practice squad. 

CB1 - Bradberry/Haden/Rhodes/Nelson

CB2 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick

SLOT - Johnson

CB4 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick/RD 5 or later draft pick

Once White returns everyone shifts down one spot.

CB 1 - White

CB 2 - Bradberry/Haden/Rhodes/Nelson

SLOT - Johnson

CB4 - Jackson/RD1 - RD3 draft pick

There's also Siran Neal who factors in. He's plays more of a hybrid role, but part of his extension was the fact that he'd contribute more on defense. 

I'm not advocating to disregard the CB position by any means - this proposed price for Bradberry is far too much. This defense is extremely CB friendly, no need to overpay for a guy who isn't significantly better than alternative options available. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If it’s a problem early on I’d imagine they’d swing a trade for a better option in season…  I’m with you. They should bring in a solid veteran.

I'd like to see them avoid the early problem this year.  There could be the possibility to run away with the number 1 seed.  

Maybe this is the reason the FO didn't fill the CB with some run of the mill average vet.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Draft picks are no definite thing and 6.5 is doable…just look at the Bills last 4 3rd round picks….

A third is a lot.  Knox and Singletary were 3rds.  And it seems some combination of WR, CB, IOL, then maybe  RB would be in play.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Draft picks are no definite thing and 6.5 is doable…just look at the Bills last 4 3rd round picks….

I'm for the trade, but this is a bad argument for this situation lol

Spencer Brown

Dawson Knox

Harrison Phillips

Side note... went to look at 2017. Traded up for Zay Jones rd2. Took schnoman rd2.... then nothing until rd 5 (Milano). Perfect freaking draft if we hadn't went after zay. Ouch

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Isn't his base salary like 14 million?

They'd have to hold basically all of it for Buffalo to be able to fit him in.

Nope. There are number of extension or restructures Beans can trigger if he feels the opportunity is there for a player he wants. 20+ million in space. Allen, Tre, Diggs, Dawkins. Guys you know will be here so pushing cap out won’t hurt you. Diggs would be an extension not a restructure. 

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

In a world where it’s guaranteed - absolutely.

Unfortunately it’s not, and I’m skeptical James Bradberry is the missing link to winning a Super Bowl. 

The Giants are getting desperate to move him. I’m not giving up a 3rd for 1 year and taking a $6.5M cap hit. 

No he is not the "over the hump" guy, but it does stabilize the CB position, leaving the Bills the opportunity to draft the BPA and not reach for, or have to move up for a CB in the 1st round.

The 1 year deal, can be renegotiated for a more favorable cap hit and extends Bradberry for a year or two.  If anyone can doit, Beane can.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. There are number of extension or restructures Beans can trigger if he feels the opportunity is there for a player he wants. 20+ million in space. Allen, Tre, Diggs, Dawkins. Guys you know will be here so pushing cap out won’t hurt you. Diggs would be an extension not a restructure. 

While sure yes, that is the case.  I was using the at current cap space available.

Also, I am still under the impression Beane meant it when he said "He doesnt really like doing that" which i probably shouldn't be.

48 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This is the year to do it. The Rams gave up more for Von’s services for half a year and it worked out well for them. 

There’s a BIG different between Von Millers impact and that of James Bradberry.  

12 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

While sure yes, that is the case.  I was using the at current cap space available.

Also, I am still under the impression Beane meant it when he said "He doesnt really like doing that" which i probably shouldn't be.

He hasn’t shown to do it a lot previously but it makes sense with certain players, not all. Void years for Hyde and Milano this year as an example. And only if he needs to.

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Typically this leads to a release. When teams are willing to eat money to move a guy for a pick they are announcing to the world that he ain't coming back. 

Yep and Beane doesn’t strike me as the kind of GM to give up a valuable draft pick (rounds 1-5) for someone who has a 50/50 shot at being a FA.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.