What to do at CB?

GreggTX

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It is 13M. And the Bills can easily fit 6.5M cap hit. 

example you can get the 6.5M in space with a Diggs extension. 

I think a 3rd will get it done with Giants eating half the base. 

ID be all for it, They need about 3 mil for Rookies.

The Diggs Extension is something of an interesting topic for me. I think he's looking for top 5 WR money which is about 26 a year. IF you can make it work where he somehow drops his cap hit to like 5 mil this year but also leave flexibility for the next few years then do it. 

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

In a world where it’s guaranteed - absolutely.

Unfortunately it’s not, and I’m skeptical James Bradberry is the missing link to winning a Super Bowl. 

The Giants are getting desperate to move him. I’m not giving up a 3rd for 1 year and taking a $6.5M cap hit. 

so you plan for CB2 and Insurance to white is????  

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Diggs Extension is something of an interesting topic for me. I think he's looking for top 5 WR money which is about 26 a year. IF you can make it work where he somehow drops his cap hit to like 5 mil this year but also leave flexibility for the next few years then do it. 

Well how much is Von making?  And what is his cap hit this year 5M???

Von is 20M a year. And his cap hit this year is 5.1M. Bills can easily set that type of structure up with Diggs

freeing up any money needed for Bradberry. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

You really can’t drop his cap hit to 5 in any real world scenario AND keep flexibility later.  The deal for Miller was a dangerous game of punting the cap hit down the road, works to get him on the squad this year and you hope the cap goes up next year, but if you look at the implications for the future, that’s how you become the Saints, Rams etc.  Allen’s money hits next year, Miller hits,  and then Diggs, the 3 of them would account for 75M+, nightmare scenario for talent retention.   I see the best way as actually bringing Diggs number up a little this year, to 20 from 17, with something like a Hill deal, 4 years 70M guaranteed, he gets 40m signing, 10m base for 3 years guaranteed, 30M year 4, no guarantees.  He gets close to the top on everything and you cap hit remains manageable at 20M, plus you aren’t paying past his prime.

A 4th and I’m all for it. 

Go WR & OL in the first two rounds, then take a CB in RD3 to learn behind White/Bradberry and compete for CB2 next year when we clearly won’t be able to afford re-signing Bradberry.  

A 3rd RD pick gets a little pricey for a one year rental.  Not saying no, but that’s a tough pill to swallow. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

You really can’t drop his cap hit to 5 in any real world scenario AND keep flexibility later.  The deal for Miller was a dangerous game of punting the cap hit down the road, works to get him on the squad this year and you hope the cap goes up next year, but if you look at the implications for the future, that’s how you become the Saints, Rams etc.  Allen’s money hits next year, Miller hits,  and then Diggs, the 3 of them would account for 75M+, nightmare scenario for talent retention.   I see the best way as actually bringing Diggs number up a little this year, to 20 from 17, with something like a Hill deal, 4 years 70M guaranteed, he gets 40m signing, 10m base for 3 years guaranteed, 30M year 4, no guarantees.  He gets close to the top on everything and you cap hit remains manageable at 20M, plus you aren’t paying past his prime.

No it won’t. You convert Allen’s Base to Bonus. BOOM all the space you need for player retention. 

Edited by MAJBobby

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I agree with you.   It’s not dangerous to do it once in a while during this decade+ window we have with Josh Allen.   We decided to pull the trigger on doing it with Von Miller.  It’s very manageable and doesn’t mortgage the future.  

Start trading high picks, backloading multiple contracts etc., and that’s how you start running into problems down the road. 

That being said, we likely have one “get out of jail” free card with a restructure of the Josh Allen 43M AAV contract.   It already looks like a bargain and the extension hasn’t even kicked in yet.     This off-season we’ve seen 50M per for Rodgers and 46M per for Watson.  In 2-3 years, 50M+ AAV contracts will likely be the norm for anyone even close to Allen’s caliber.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep. And if it secures the CB spot and helps get a Trophy would you really care about not having a 2022 Late 3rd?

The majority of the cap hit goes away with a trade. And a Diggs extension can open up the space to fit the remaining contract Giants don’t eat. 

Wow.  Love this idea.  Take care of Diggs now, don't let the mumbling brew (long term benefit), and get a quality vet CB (short term benefit).  Then with a taken care of Diggs and the CB hole temporarily filled they can more easily draft BPA (which hopefully would be the WR).

A 3rd is steep.  I wonder if the change with T Hill might prod the FO to push a few more short term chips in- it would for me.  Get a vet CB in for the start of the season and have a fantastic CB duo (White and Bradberry) available for the playoffs.  Very tempting.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep. And if it secures the CB spot and helps get a Trophy would you really care about not having a 2022 Late 3rd?

The majority of the cap hit goes away with a trade. And a Diggs extension can open up the space to fit the remaining contract Giants don’t eat. 

You guys understand the difference between "base salary" and "cap hit ",right? Giants gave him a signing bonus ,paid up front, but have to account for it over the life of the contract.  The salary is about 13 and the amortized bonus is 8 per year. Team acquiring him does not take on the bonus, only the salary.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s been a while since I watched a Giants game…is Bradberry any good?  If so, why don’t the Gints want him?

I can;t talk about his play as I also haven't ever watched a Giants game in many seasons. But from what I have heard he is a solid corner. 

This is all about the Giants cap space. They are tight against it, and like Beane when he came into the Bills GM position,  Schoen is coming in and moving a majority of the high cap players who don't fit in to his vision. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Wow.  Love this idea.  Take care of Diggs now, don't let the mumbling brew (long term benefit), and get a quality vet CB (short term benefit).  Then with a taken care of Diggs and the CB hole temporarily filled they can more easily draft BPA (which hopefully would be the WR).

A 3rd is steep.  I wonder if the change with T Hill might prod the FO to push a few more short term chips in- it would for me.  Get a vet CB in for the start of the season and have a fantastic CB duo (White and Bradberry) available for the playoffs.  Very tempting.

If they do not bring in a CB before the Draft and willing to go into the Draft with an Unknown at 2 CB spots get ready because the DB play is what will cost a SB win watch. 

Just now, Georgie said:

You guys understand the difference between "base salary" and "cap hit ",right? Giants gave him a signing bonus ,paid up front, but have to account for it over the life of the contract.  The salary is about 13 and the amortized bonus is 8 per year. Team acquiring him does not take on the bonus, only the salary.

I completely understand and why if Giants eat half I am talking 6.5M. 

28 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I think rookies cost a bit more than 3 million 

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Georgie said:

I think rookies cost a bit more than 3 million 

They don’t. Because the ones that will really only count is around 1 and 2. 

you have to remember we are at a point now for every contract signed a contract of almost 1M dollars falls off the top 51. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

If they do not bring in a CB before the Draft and willing to go into the Draft with an Unknown at 2 CB spots get ready because the DB play is what will cost a SB win watch. 

They may have more information and be more confident in White for the start of the season than us.  But for me, either way, I would like to see another vet brought in, and Bradberry seems like he would be at the top of the list.

A 3rd and $6.5M is steep though.  Probably have to weigh that with the same cost and no 3rd for Haden.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.