Shaq is back! A one-year deal

Roundybout

8 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I don’t know? To me, adding Lawson, allows you to put Miller in sort of a stand up spot, and still keep Edmunds and Milano on the field. You may lose something in pass protection, but you are better suited against the runs. 

I don’t know…

Excellent article on what McDermott's defense looked like before the shift to full time 4-2-5. He hasn't done a ton of 4-3 under here, bit it is essentially a 4 man front with a walk up linebacker off the edge. It is what Von Miller was doing in Denver for most of his career early on. It is an very strong run defense. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/12/14236950/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-head-coach-4-3-defense-all-22

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I don’t know? To me, adding Lawson, allows you to put Miller in sort of a stand up spot, and still keep Edmunds and Milano on the field. You may lose something in pass protection, but you are better suited against the runs. 

I don’t know…

Von Miller is here to play defensive end. Might they do some stuff where he stands up as a 3rd linebacker? Maybe but it will be a small part of his usage. He is here to rush the passer. 

• Like (+1) 3

Both Phillips and Lawson had great years for the Bills and got paid as free agents after those years.  But, they both flamed out in other settings.  Not sure why, but there it is.  Now, can they achieve what they did in 2019, who knows.  Phillips has been injured a lot, and, if not healthy, won't be of much help.  Lawson is a journeyman at best, and might not make the team says me.

17 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Who needs more than 1 healthy outside CB when you can just have 10 DL instead

I share your sentiments but it seems the CB market is a bit weak and overpriced. I wonder what the over-under is for CBs drafted by the Bills...I bet 2 plus a hybrid safety/CB

7 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

I share your sentiments but it seems the CB market is a bit weak and overpriced. I wonder what the over-under is for CBs drafted by the Bills...I bet 2 plus a hybrid safety/CB

I think both Haden and Peterson would kick ass in this defense. Both have lost a step but still are more athletic and faster than Levi imo.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
More words

9 minutes ago, entropyrules said:

Those prices are going to have to come down if those guys wat to secure jobs. With the draft as strong as it is for DBs, they have to be careful not to price themselves out. 

• Agree 1

I really like this and the Phillips return.   These guys are seasoned vets now but not too old like Hughes and Addison are now.   They have seen the grass is not  always greener and they know this team is SB ready.  They understand  the complete system and know the Buffalo  city and mafia!  They WANT TO BE HERE  and we’re willing to take what was offered to play here now.

They got their huge paydays and want a ring. They are HUNGRY !  I love it and love rooting for these guys.  Also , remember they never really wanted to leave in the first place but were just not resigned.   The biggest thing I like about both of them is they play with enthusiasm and emotion and I think this D needs a little injection of passion , esp along that line where with the older vets  that passion may have dwindled.

Great move , low risk , and I think the days of pressures and few sacks may be finally gone , esp coupled with bringing in Von !   I also expect more turnovers being created and I think the run d will improve quite a bit.   Pretty excited to have these guys back and watch them now as vets.  We may actually see a TRUE  #1 d that doesn’t give up critical chunk plays , play down to the competition , and can actually hold a lead in a one possession game.  In those one possession games , which we lost all of , did you ever really feel our D would actually stop a game winning drive?  I know I never did and that turned out to be the case.  If Frazier/ Mcd don’t  ruin it by stupid calls like the KC game, this d will get after opposing qbs and I think finally hold up with a lead or deliver a needed stop to come from behind which is a feeling I can’t say I have really ever felt with this coaching regime.   Mcd has a lot to prove this year after that lost season of 13 seconds. This  year he actually has the people who can  pressure the qb while rushing just 4 with these additions! Should be fun to watch. 

21 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

I really like this and the Phillips return.   These guys are seasoned vets now but not too old like Hughes and Addison are now.   They have seen the grass is not  always greener and they know this team is SB ready.  They understand  the complete system and know the Buffalo  city and mafia!  They WANT TO BE HERE  and we’re willing to take what was offered to play here now.

They got their huge paydays and want a ring. They are HUNGRY !  I love it and love rooting for these guys.  Also , remember they never really wanted to leave in the first place but were just not resigned.   The biggest thing I like about both of them is they play with enthusiasm and emotion and I think this D needs a little injection of passion , esp along that line where with the older vets  that passion may have dwindled.

I like having voices in the locker room who know that the grass isn't always greener. That's a good message for guys like Ed Oliver to hear. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Von Miller is here to play defensive end. Might they do some stuff where he stands up as a 3rd linebacker? Maybe but it will be a small part of his usage. He is here to rush the passer. 

True. But, I wonder if the “best 11” philosophy gets used here against the run. You can put Lawson on the line, and leave Miller on the field as well. I’m not going to lie, I’m no fan of watching RB’s now down Taron Johnson over and over. If the idea is that TJ is a better overall run defender than Von Miller, I have to disagree. 

Like I said, it makes me wonder if this gives us some more versatility against the run. 

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

It's coming.  Maybe 8 of the 9 draft picks will be CBs

We better pick some DBs up somewhere!  I'd much rather have the elite aspect of my D be in the defensive backfield than up on the line.  Line play is grossly overestimated and it just doesn't have enough of an impact on wins and losses.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

We better pick some DBs up somewhere!  I'd much rather have the elite aspect of my D be in the defensive backfield than up on the line.  Line play is grossly overestimated and it just doesn't have enough of an impact on wins and losses.

Tell that to Aaron Donald after he made the game wining sack in the Super Bowl as highly whiny , over rated jalen Ramsey was beaten after falling and if Donald doesn’t make that play , the Bengals  win the SB!  Tell that to Bruce smith. With 4 afc championships in a row which has never been repeated.  Elite cbs are not  great at stopping a power run game.without a line in front of them and now esp with rules where they can’t go low.  Our back has been better than our line and look how far we have gotten.  How was Tampa creditied with beating kc in the SB ; they had good line play and dropped more guys but they got pressure successfully with their line. 

of course we will pick up dbs because we have too. But our great safties and dbs were no help with mahomes running around all,day as we never registered one sack in that loss. On the other hand , cincy got to him with their guys , got turnovers and shut him out in the second half of the afc championship game.    You can’t get beaten deep if your wrs don’t have time to get deep. You really need to go back and review some basic facts and football concepts because that statement  about line play being grossly overrated  and not impactful is just fantasy and opinion and I just provided examples contradicting that premise. Hmm, who usually gets paid more , a cb or edge rusher ?  How many cbs get taken first overall compared to premiere edge rushers?  So many things are just wrong about your premise , I think I will just stop now.   I would take Donald over the elite ( choke, gag, )  Ramsey any day. 😉😂

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Grossly overestimated? You didn't catch that Bills-Jags game last year huh 🙄

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

This is really crazy! We went from like barely any cap to work with to signing everyone now!

Schoen alluded to this - we as fans just couldn't wrap our heads around it.  I for one am still in shock from Wednesday nite.....

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Our Dbs are fine.  We have White, Taron, Poyer and Hyde.  If Dane is that last piece I'm good with that.  If White is not ready to come back (which I doubt based on the way goes about his business) then we will need to draft a couple

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The advanced metrics back this up as well. I forget where I read the article last summer (thought it was the Athletic but have tried unsuccessfully to find it) but essentially good secondary play now correlates more directly with good team defense and ultimately winning than good dline play. 

Ultimately you can build your defense back to front or front to back what matters is having difference makers. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.