OT: The sudden existential crisis in New England

Success

47 minutes ago, Success said:

It started w/ the 1st no-punt game, and really took a leap w/ the 2nd no-punt game.  Now, w/ the signing of Von Miller, it's a complete meltdown over there.  

The comments around the boards & twitter are truly enjoyable:  "We have more cap than they do - how are they signing this guy, and we're losing good players?"  "We're not going to compete in the division, much less for the conference or a SB...I didn't sign up for this!," "It's not my fault that all I've known is winning...what are we supposed to do?"

And the script has been flipped.  We're the team that has the elite QB, that top free agents want to play with, and with the GM who plays chess.  

Watching what the Pats are doing so far this offseason, my guess is that BB is looking at the landscape & going in for a full 2-3 year rebuild. He knows they can't compete w/ the top teams this year.

I know, I know...."they live in my head."  But after 20 years, this is really fun.

I didn't sign up for this? lol if that's a real comment i need to see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I didn't sign up for this? lol if that's a real comment i need to see it. 

To be fair, that's a paraphrase. But there are comments like that - the younger fans are saying all kinds of entitled stuff.  Some were saying that they don't think they're going to watch anymore, or will focus more on Brady & the Bucs.

The older fans are more like we'd be, since they've been through tougher years.  A lot of "we'll be okay" and "we get to feel like the other 31 for awhile" stuff to try to talk the other fans down.

Im sure there are a lot of sour "6 years $120 million for an old man?" comments

Still not whistling past the graveyard.  Last year felt perilously close to a gut-punch after that MNF game.  If they dont lose to the Colts there it gets scary.  

Not sure I can ever really get over the trauma of the Brady years, at least until Belichick is deposed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Marv Levy said:

Well, until Buffalo wins something, then the truth hurts. Can't talk smack about other teams until the Bills win one.

Visualize first, then you can have it.

Your mindset is a first class ticket to a loser life. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im sure there are a lot of sour "6 years $120 million for an old man?" comments

Still not whistling past the graveyard.  Last year felt perilously close to a gut-punch after that MNF game.  If they dont lose to the Colts there it gets scary.  

Not sure I can ever really get over the trauma of the Brady years, at least until Belichick is deposed.

Oh, there is a TON of trying to downplay the signing, and saying that the Bills are making a huge mistake signing an older player to that long of a contract, for that kind of money.  I remember that we used to do that to try to make ourselves feel better.

I hear you on the graveyard.  It will take a long time for me to get over the past 20 - but the last couple of years are a pretty healthy start.

13 minutes ago, Marv Levy said:

Well, until Buffalo wins something, then the truth hurts. Can't talk smack about other teams until the Bills win one.

Oh, I can. And I will.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Really confused by BB and the Pats offseason plan. It was expected they were going to be players again in FA but as of right now their roster is markedly worse on paper than last year.

And their local media is equally perplexed by the offensive line especially after news broke with Miller landing with the Bills.

To their credit though they have been great at developing the oline position with late round draft picks and UDFA types and perhaps plan on doing that again even though it's a risky move with a developing young player like Jones entering a crucial 2nd season.

That is pretty much what is going on right now..One big head scratcher

Oh yea and Allen Robinson just signed w the Rams...geez I guess the lack of a big play maker BB didn't think he needed....shrug shoulders

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.