Von Miller vs Khalil Mack

DieHardBillsFan

On 3/17/2022 at 4:57 PM, Rochesterfan said:

So let me understand:

1) Take Mack (a significantly lesser player) and give up draft picks plus over pay for him

2 Get Miller (a better player with a history of helping his team win) and no draft picks for a similar cost.

Hmm - unless I have a lobotomy- give me #2 all day long.  I would always take the better player and retain picks.  Mack is nice for LA, but Miller is a 2 time SB champion that works hard to help younger players grow.

Mack is good, but his teams have not won and he has not made them significantly better.

This should be an easy choice.

agree

Mack was a value dud for the Bears.  Top D 10 D before he got there.  First season a great D.  Steady decline from there.  Didn't move the needle.

• Agree 1

On 3/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, DieHardBillsFan said:

After the initial shock of Von Miller going to Buffalo, I have had time to reflect. Why didn't we try harder for Mack? I was sad to see Mack go to LA for only a 2nd and 6th, and thought we should have taken a shot at that. But I turned the page because we didn't have the money. But turns out we did have the money. Now Mack's cap hit for the Chargers in 2022 will be about the same as Millers which is around 17.5M.

With that in mind I am curious about the thinking here. If our team was willing to pay that money for a big time play maker at DE why didn't we go for Mack? According to draftsharks.com (which is the first source I found to check injuries and possibility to have injury in 2022, may not be the best) Mack has a lesser chance of missing games in 2022 than Miller by about half. I would also say that most agree, Mack would be the better player of the 2. So did we just miss the opportunity?

I want to try and make sense of this and not end on a perception of missed opportunity for a guy that this fanbase is very high on and has for years hoped we would gain. Lets say Beane was involved to some degree. Beane must put very high value on his draft picks. Potentially, Beane was already willing to part with that kind of money but figured he could add Jones or Miller for the same price and not have to part with his 2nd and 6th round pick.

So the takeaway would be that Beane believes that Mack for 17M+ a 2nd and a 6th is not worth as much as Von Miller at a similar price. I think I might be able to get behind that but curious of others thoughts. Do you agree that Miller is worth more than Mack + the 2 picks?

I’m guessing the way Beane looked at things was that he had a decent chance at landing Jones or Miller at relatively the same cap hot that he would be paying Mack w/o surrendering any draft capital.  

So the question becomes is Mack at 29 that much better than Jones at 32 or Miller at 33. 

IMO Miller was the defensive player who approached Buffalo at the combine.  His reps probably knew what LAR could offer and made his demands clear.  Beane likely thought that he could meet those demands there was a good chance they could land him.  

On 3/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, Mickey said:

Do we know that Beane didn't take a shot at Mack or that Mack wasn't interested in Buffalo?

I found it interesting IIRC when Mack returned to Buffalo with the Bears in 2018 and was asked how he felt coming back to where he played college ball, he didn’t want to talk about it.

• Sad 1

Beane puts a lot of value on his draft picks. He was able to go out and sign a guy on the same level as Mack (probably a little better given his consistency, leadership, and how he shows up in big games) for the same money Mack got without sacrificing draft picks. 

9 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

I found it interesting IIRC when Mack returned to Buffalo with the Bears in 2018 and was asked how he felt coming back to where he played college ball, he didn’t want to talk about it.

I remember that. It was definitely strange considering he never really said anything about Buffalo before that. At the time I thought maybe he got all fussy because perhaps he expected to be drafted to Buffalo. If that’s the reason then it’s a pretty poor reason to be all sour grapes considering the entire front office in 2018 was completely changed from the group that was in there when Mack was drafted in 2014. 

Edited by blacklabel

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

So many critics for this post and my post on how the Chiefs stole McDuffie in the draft and our front office panicked and traded up to get Elam... Wasn't so wrong after all.

Mack is a great example of why bad teams should not give away assets for one dominant Defensive player.

He only plays for losers.  Zero impact signing every where he went.

14 minutes ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

So many critics for this post and my post on how the Chiefs stole McDuffie in the draft and our front office panicked and traded up to get Elam... Wasn't so wrong after all.

When you pull up a thread from more than a year and a half ago to appear right, it qualifies as a LAMP.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.