How many roster spots are still in play?

Assuming we sign a proven veteran starter at DB and call it a day, Beane can truly draft best player available in the draft at DB/LB/WR/QB/etc.

Also speaking of QB have to believe this team will sign a veteran there too even if it's not nearly as high profile as Trubisky was last year.

• Like (+1) 2

Starting wise? Not much. Depth wise there are some needs. 

Starting wise 

Punter - Haack is a great holder but a mediocre punter, definitely in play.

LG - Bates is there but there certainly exists a lot of need here as Bates is a bit of a question mark and there exists very little competition or depth along the o-line

CB2- Tre and T.Johnson are the slot and starting corners but Dane Jackson does not have a stronghold on the CB2 position. 

WR3- Beasley is officially gone and while Mac is an option there I think he is better suited as a gadget WR4 I think there is a hole at the slot position. 

Depth wise 

O-line - Bates at the moment is starting at LG and there is nothing much behind him. Doyle and Ford (who are OK at best) are the only real options behind the starting five and that's not really inspiring. This is massively concerning but still time and resources to address this. 

Linebacker - With Klein gone there isn't much behind Edumonds and Milano

Safety - The starting safety combo is elite but getting up there in age, depth here could be critical 

Third Down back- Maybe not a starting role but there could exist a need for a third down back. 

Defensive end - A vet option behind Miller and Groot is nice, looking at Shaq and Hughes returns here personally.

Backup QB- Mitch is gone who else can replace him? 

One of the best if not the best rosters in the NFL but that lack of O-line depth is scary. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

By my count I think there are really only 5 spots (RB #3, back-up QB, back-up MLB, CB#2, slot WR) to fill and a handful others to bring in for competition.  

RB - Currently I believe they only have 2 RBs on the roster.  Given the dollars spent elsewhere so far, my guess is they choose to address this in the draft again.

Punter - they will draft one and have a camp competition

MLB - I'm going to assume they do not trade Edmunds.  That still leaves back-up MLB in play.  I would like to see Klein back on a reduced contract, but suspect this will be addressed with a mid-round draft pick.

OT - with Williams gone and Morse extended, I think they shift from C/G in the draft to OT that can play guard in a pinch.  Dawkins played well down the stretch but he wil lbe a prime candidate for a salary cap cut in the next year or two.  

C/G - At some point Bates will be signed.  He is the utility knife.  We all assume Ford will be gone, but he is relatively cheap has played and now has a new position coach.  As above I would favor adding an OT instead of another interior lineman.

Safety - Hyde was restructured but both safeties are over 30. They are going to need to save some dollars and get younger here in the near future.  Adding a future starter in the draft would make sense here. Another safety can play special teams as well. 

TE - with Howard and Doyle playing the role of blocking TE, I don't see them addressing this any further

WR - They had 7 on the roster last season after Stevenson was added off IR.  I think they only keep 6 and they already have 5 under contract (Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Kumerow, Stevenson). Do they keep 6 and draft a WR?  If 7, then two rookies or do they try and sign someone?

Back-up QB - free agent or draft pick?

Forgot CB#2 - I am assuming they draft a CB in round 1, but an additional veteran FA is also a possibility.

What do you all think?

Ethan, I stumbled upon this site a couple of weeks ago and find it helpful.

They haven't update the Cole Beasley news yet and I'm not sure who is putting player where but I find it helpful.

As you can see they already got yesterday's signings penciled in.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF

Note:  If anyone uses excel you can copy the info and put it into an excel sheet to play with.

Edited by ColoradoBills

29 minutes ago, wjag said:

Jackson competed with Levi for CB2 last year and held his own when Tre went down.  He'll be fine.

Never did I say we don't need another CB, I just said, the most glaring weakness on this team AT THE MOMENT is there is only one QB on the team.  

He competed with a mediocre corner and lost. He wasn’t a total liability when Tre went down but he was still picked on.

Our #2 CB is going to see the field every week and be a big part of our defense.

Go sign Matt Barkley for all I care. 

50 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe this is my imagination so other long-time Bills fans can chime in...

But it seems to me that in the past we could pretty much predict the final 53 at the conclusion of the draft.  In the spring, we'd bring in a bunch of cannon fodder but there were few meaningful training camp battles.   

But Beane signs legit guys to battle for roster spots.  So I think it's too early to say there are only 5, 7, whatever spots available.  Of course, there are some glaring openings.  But I also think that some of the guys who look to make the 53 man roster right now we'll find themselves in heated competitions once camp gets going. 

I agree with that a few years ago but the roster is so stacked right now across the board.  But there is typically a surprise each year

We’ll see how the Bills feel about Hodgins and Stevenson right after the draft….

My bet is take one WR rather high (first to third) and one rather low (6th -7th).

So the high one makes it and Hodgins, Stevenson and the low round rookie battle for one spot.

Imho, Stevenson has a big edge because by this summer he should be much better as a returner which we need direly. The draft pick will also have return skills I bet….

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

By my count I think there are really only 5 spots (RB #3, back-up QB, back-up MLB, CB#2, slot WR) to fill and a handful others to bring in for competition.  

RB - Currently I believe they only have 2 RBs on the roster.  Given the dollars spent elsewhere so far, my guess is they choose to address this in the draft again.

Punter - they will draft one and have a camp competition

MLB - I'm going to assume they do not trade Edmunds.  That still leaves back-up MLB in play.  I would like to see Klein back on a reduced contract, but suspect this will be addressed with a mid-round draft pick.

OT - with Williams gone and Morse extended, I think they shift from C/G in the draft to OT that can play guard in a pinch.  Dawkins played well down the stretch but he wil lbe a prime candidate for a salary cap cut in the next year or two.  

C/G - At some point Bates will be signed.  He is the utility knife.  We all assume Ford will be gone, but he is relatively cheap has played and now has a new position coach.  As above I would favor adding an OT instead of another interior lineman.

Safety - Hyde was restructured but both safeties are over 30. They are going to need to save some dollars and get younger here in the near future.  Adding a future starter in the draft would make sense here. Another safety can play special teams as well. 

TE - with Howard and Doyle playing the role of blocking TE, I don't see them addressing this any further

WR - They had 7 on the roster last season after Stevenson was added off IR.  I think they only keep 6 and they already have 5 under contract (Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Kumerow, Stevenson). Do they keep 6 and draft a WR?  If 7, then two rookies or do they try and sign someone?

Back-up QB - free agent or draft pick?

Forgot CB#2 - I am assuming they draft a CB in round 1, but an additional veteran FA is also a possibility.

What do you all think?

RB I think they will still sign a RB who is a decent receiver out of the back field

Agree on punter

Think the draft a LB,whether specific or Edmunds or not TBD, they do have Dodson who they just signed to a contract, so must like him

O Line.  I still think they draft interior line as do have Doyle as backup tackle.  Can get out of Morse contact after this season so would think it would still make sense to draft the guy this year as  backup, then starts at center or guard in 2023.  Also think they will sign a mid tier OT yet in free agency.

Safety Maybe can't argue either way, likely will come down to BPA when they are selecting

TE maybe they draft one late one who's a good blocker and sit him on PS all year or again like safety, they don't

WR You're forgetting Hodgins.  Not that he's a big name but who knows.  I do think they draft a WR likely in round #2

QB Free agent as the back up, but also could draft one late for PS and to run opposing team offense ion practice.  Maybe Fromm comes back?

CB  Yes draft one in round 1 but also sign a mid level FA mainly in case White isn't back to 100% in September.

So would draft CB, WR, G/C in 1st three rounds and punter in 5th or 6th.  Or maybe trade back in 4th and sign that guy is it from San Diego St late in 4th to make sure they get him.

FA still pick up back up QB plus mid level CB, OT, and RB

I think the most acute need at the moment is a replacement for, and hopefully an upgrade from Levi Wallace. at the #2 CB spot.   Second would be an upgraded option to Moss at RB pairing with Singletary.  Upgraded depth at MLB is probably the third priority.  After that, maybe getting a young safety to develop behind Hyde and Poyer might be a lesser priority.  Finally, get the best players they can in the draft with an eye toward finding future starters where possible.   If Sauce Gardiner or Derek Stingley is available at 25, go ahead and take him.  Neither one will be though.  Otherwise, if Beane thinks there is a real difference making impact player available at #25 and he isn't a CB.  He should go ahead and take him.  I don't think there will be a difference making LB or RB the Bills would want to take at 25.  There could be a WR, or a D lineman who fits that bill.  Not much else.  If that WR or D lineman isn't there at 25, then Beane should either trade down or take a safe pick, like best available CB.  

Roster Spot Needs (No Order)

1. Veteran Backup QB

2. A Rookie QB (may be on PS)

3. A RB #2 (Moss is RB #3)

4. Big slot WR (early draft pick)

5. 2 OL if Bates goes, vet & rook

6. 1 LB (ST ability and backup)

7. 2 CB's (veteran & early draft pick)

8. Best punter available or FA

For me, that is 10 legitimate spots left among free agency, draft, and players who have not had more than a cup of coffee or two on the roster.

Edited by Wizard

Gonna be a long one, but here's what I'm looking at:

QB : Will be added late in FA. Just like last year, they'll go with who they think is the best available option when the QB carousel stops spinning and the starting jobs are filled.

RB: We tried to fill this role with JD McKissic. So i'd expect a similar move. Either a FA like a Darrel Williams or a Jerick McKinnon type or a pick no higher than Round 3, more likely Round 4 or 5. They aren't going to bring in a guy to 50/50 share with Singletary or move him to the bench with his stock being the highest right now coming off him looking the best he ever has in the last few months of the season as the primary ball carrier. 

WR: A speedy option will be added in Round 1 or 2 of the Draft. Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie have earned a promotion and increased reps. But you still need another stud to replace both Beasley and Sanders, especially with the number of 4 WR sets we run.  I think we'll keep 6 instead of 7 this season and OJ Howard will see a much larger number of reps than Tommy Sweeney ever has.

OL: This is interesting. I feel like if we can retain Ryan Bates, our Starting Line is set with Saffold replacing Daryl Williams. But the depth is shaky. We could sign a lower priced veteran Tackle late in FA they like and a 4th-5th Round Guard they like.

But if they lose Bates, then we have to Draft someone for the Interior by Round 3 or sign a starter. I wish we'd have just tendered him at the 2nd Round. We'd have him at the cost of 1.5 mil more and no one would be sniffing him. Now I don't see us being able to retain him for less than it would have cost us to tag him at that number. And we aren't even going to try and match it if it gets to that number, which I expect it to.

LB: I've liked what I've seen from Tyrel Dodson and Andre Smith in a pinch. I feel like Dodson can give us just as much as AJ Klein did. Replace Klein's roster spot with a late round pick Beane likes.

CB: Round 1 or 2, most likely Round 1. It's a deep draft for CB. But we need a stud opposite Tre White to shut things down. Go out and draft a stud who can provide more than Levi did. If there's a decent CB available near the end of FA that wants to take a sweetheart deal to play here for added depth, by all means.

Punter: Late Round Pick or UDFA to compete with Haack. I'd be interested in Araiza if he could be had in Round 5. I don't think he'll go as high as 3 as some are suspecting, but I don't know if he'll be there at the end of Round 5.

Long story short - it's going to be the Draft and bargain FA's who are a fit from here on out.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, wjag said:

I do..  Jackson can play CB2 (assuming White is back).  What gave me great comfort last year was having Trubisky on the team.  The QB room is literally bare.  We all live in fear that one hard hit will take JA17 out.  I don't want some clipboard holder back there.  I want a legit QB2 in the event it is needed..

It doesn’t matter that much really after losing Mitch. He was MAYBE the only guy who could legitimately have held place for a couple of games, and again , that’s a big maybe !  If Josh goes down for more than a few series or just a game , there is no one to replace that talent drop off and be as productive in this passing offense. We don’t currently have a run game as plan b , especially  with the two current backs, so without Allen this team will not have much offense.   So far they refuse to develop a plan b for bad weather or should Allen go down as they have not fixed the lack of run production.   So they will fill in with whatever is left from the FA’s and there is just no talent out there that makes second qb anywhere close to providing your comfort like last year. That guy was a overall number one pick if I remember correctly and last year having him on a cheap deal was an anomaly.   No way is having a second Qb more valuable than getting a legit CB 2 or depth as another injury there would be devastating.   

The facts are with no dependable run game ( tho there is some hope with Safford and if Bates’ can stay, and maybe the new OC will place more importance on a legitimate run threat ) does it really matter too much who qb two is as the production will likely fall off a cliff without Josh !   They are just structured around him as he also is their main running game. How do you replace that?

So get a guy like fitz or marriota who could possibly give you a few series or a game, but until they get a plan B and develop an ability to run the ball  IF NEEDED  ( look  what happened when the weather was bad and even Josh couldn’t pass well, our o fell apart), just plug in a reasonable guy for the qb room because we can’t compete in the AFC with all the other qb talented teams should Josh get injured. . It’s the same for the other AFC  teams. I do wish they would get a quality back tho to help protect Josh and keep him away from so many rpos ( until playoff time) and develop a good run threat/ game. That way an avg throwing qb might have a chance to be productive if Josh is out for any period,  and THEN  it might actually matter who the back up qb is. It’s more important to do everything possible to keep Josh healthy ( develop a legit run game )  than worry about what qb to fill in with because like most teams , if your starter is down , so are your chances of post season success.   The CB need is more reasonably fixed as we saw last year with depth stepping up, if you have guys in the pipeline so that again takes precedent over qb 2. 😉

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Starting wise? Not much. Depth wise there are some needs. 

Starting wise 

Punter - Haack is a great holder but a mediocre punter, definitely in play.

LG - Bates is there but there certainly exists a lot of need here as Bates is a bit of a question mark and there exists very little competition or depth along the o-line

CB2- Tre and T.Johnson are the slot and starting corners but Dane Jackson does not have a stronghold on the CB2 position. 

WR3- Beasley is officially gone and while Mac is an option there I think he is better suited as a gadget WR4 I think there is a hole at the slot position. 

Depth wise 

O-line - Bates at the moment is starting at LG and there is nothing much behind him. Doyle and Ford (who are OK at best) are the only real options behind the starting five and that's not really inspiring. This is massively concerning but still time and resources to address this. 

Linebacker - With Klein gone there isn't much behind Edumonds and Milano

Safety - The starting safety combo is elite but getting up there in age, depth here could be critical 

Third Down back- Maybe not a starting role but there could exist a need for a third down back. 

Defensive end - A vet option behind Miller and Groot is nice, looking at Shaq and Hughes returns here personally.

Backup QB- Mitch is gone who else can replace him? 

One of the best if not the best rosters in the NFL but that lack of O-line depth is scary. 

Perfect post. Agree with every word.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.