Drafting Jameson Williams will make us unstoppable

Buffalo Barbarian

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Hate to break it to ya... this team is looking at CB's now that Levi is a Steeler

I don’t take that for granted.  Remember McD thinks he can make anybody a great CB, his history shows we can survive without the best talent at corner.  In the McBeane Carolina days, they let Norman walk because they could replace him with less cost, they also haven’t drafted a DB high since they have been here AND the guys they have found have been solid.  I honestly think it will come down to BPA at 25 or maybe they do like a certain player and go get them.  

WR and CB cost a lot of money for top flight players, but WR is substantially more.  With an eye on the future, they are going to have to let Diggs walk or pay him big, they are letting Beasley go because of money, Davis is going into year 3 of 4 year contract, if he continues to trend up, he’s going to be 10M+ In 2 years.  I think now is the time you take a WR.  You still don’t “need” them to jump right in, but you can use it and develop them so you can let somebody walk rather than over paying.  Allen’s contract really hits next year, Diggs is going to want a rework to 17ish too, you just added Miller for money, Oliver is going to get paid too 10 money next year, you have to pay for a MLB be it Edmunds or other, the roster is going to feel the squeeze of Allen’s deal, you have to start drafting value.  With McD’s over confidence in his ability to develop corners, I don’t think you see one until round 2 at the earliest.  There’s reason for them to look at drafting WR, MLB, CB, OL early in this draft.  I worry more about CB myself, I just think history actually points away from it, unless a super talent falls in their lap.

• Like (+1) 3

We could be in a position where we don't have to draft for need. Beane has stated many times that he wants to be able to draft any position in the draft. I think we bring in a FA CB still, and we might draft one as well. But, it's not a done deal if we don't see a CB at 25 and don't see the value. We could be very well be in a spot to take a guy who likely would've been a Top 10 or higher pick. This is an opportunity, being as solid as we are, to take a guy other teams couldn't draft. And, his potential, if healthy, is scintillating to think about in our offense.

8 hours ago, Success said:

I'm not sure how "need" oriented Beane is in the draft yet - but I'd be surprised if we didn't go w/ a CB or OL in the 1st.

Who are we bumping from the starting lineup if we take an OL in the first? As long as Bates doesn't sign with MIN, the starting 5 is set. We need high impact players in the first few rounds, not backup OL

I don't think this regime drafts a CB in the first. They have shown year after year that it's the one position at which they're comfortable winging it.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t take that for granted.  Remember McD thinks he can make anybody a great CB, his history shows we can survive without the best talent at corner.  In the McBeane Carolina days, they let Norman walk because they could replace him with less cost, they also haven’t drafted a DB high since they have been here AND the guys they have found have been solid.

All good points but remember that Tre'davious White was drafted in the 1st round by the current administration.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.