Bye bye Beasley

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would we cut Star now?  He's not owed a roster bonus.  If we cut him now with a post-June1, we don't realize the higher cap savings until...post-June 1.

Beane likes to go into the draft with the "holes" in the roster filled.  Cutting Star right now (pre or post June1) would serve no useful purpose.

His contract is set regardless. We’re paying him this year unless the unlikely happens and we trade him. So we deal with it. Frankly, his stoutness at the point of attack can’t be overlooked and with Von now flying off the edge, possibilities are endless. Then, there’s the whole ‘avail’ability thing..

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

As I said, he is not part of the plan.  the FO is respected in the league because of taking care of players.  They could just due it now, and know their money for the draft picks is coming June 1.  And continue signing players while maintaining the respect of taking care of players that clearly are not in their plans.

I don’t think you heard this correctly. A statement like this would have generated at least 15 threads here. I’m going with you heard it wrong and McBeane are expecting him to be here this year.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Adam Humphries. Similar type of agility, 4 years younger, so if you project his production it is on par with Beasley. Much cheaper without all the drama. A process guy who we were in on a few years ago before he went to the Titans. He is also a little bigger with better short are quickness. Perfect replacement. also a former Commie, so makes him kind of like a former Panther. 

Also some YAC ability

Hauntingly familiar looking but for all those catches, only 2 broken tackles? Pass.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

The one thing nobody can question is that he gave everything he had for this team, every time he stepped on the field - exactly the kind of player Bills fans have historically loved. 

Excellent point and spot on.  Going one step further, he was a fan favorite—a warrior who came up big in games, a guy who played through pain—clearly connected with JA—who can forget the “I love you Josh Allen” comments—and his teammates.  

I recall watching him play for Dallas and thinking how great it would be to have a player like that on our team.  

I wish him well and appreciate all he did for the franchise in a short time.  He was part of the crew that made the Bills fun to watch again.    

Great player. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

His contract is set regardless. We’re paying him this year unless the unlikely happens and we trade him. So we deal with it. Frankly, his stoutness are the point of attack can’t be overlooked and with Von now flying off the edge, possibilities are endless. Then, there’s the whole ‘avail’ability thing..

Yeah I mean I have a really hard time seeing any team trading for him with that contract..but crazy things can happen sometimes. Would really surprise me though

Well, at this point he is no longer our concern, no longer a Bill. I agree with the well wishes and will be interested in where he does land. I'll be especially curious about his new compensation. Will teams completely disregard his political / vax rules and sign him based on his athleticism alone?

I dont know for certain but I think if a team needs his skillset (which we all agree he has a Lot of positive attributes in his game) they'll sign him regardless. That;s another teams decision now. I just really hope he goes to a non AFC East division team. Seeing his success AGAINST us would suck Im not gonna lie.

m

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Excellent point and spot on.  Going one step further, he was a fan favorite—a warrior who came up big in games, a guy who played through pain—clearly connected with JA—who can forget the “I love you Josh Allen” comments—and his teammates.  

I recall watching him play for Dallas and thinking how great it would be to have a player like that on our team.  

I wish him well and appreciate all he did for the franchise in a short time.  He was part of the crew that made the Bills fun to watch again.    

Great player. 

the best word I can think of to describe Cole Beasley is Tough and CLUTCH.

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m gonna miss that little dude with the missing tooth...Every time he caught a pass I would scream “Joe Dirt” at the TV...😁

BBBBBEEEAAASSSSBoooooooooooooooooBeasssssssssssssBoooooooooooooooo..Which was it eh? haha probably BOTH.....he had his detractors clearly.....I wouldn't have booed him myself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

And the same could have been said about Beasley 15 min ago.  He will be cut.  

Jones

Settle 

Phillips

Oliver

Ankou

Star (how many DTs do you want?)

All of the things on that list are not equal - Ankou has yet to show he can start in the NFL as a DT.  He got 2 chances in Cleveland and one in Tennessee, and in both cases the team said "Moving right along...."  He got about 1/3 of the snaps in 3 games for Buffalo and an obviously hindered Star got his job right back when available.  At this point, yes he's on the roster but until he earns it, he's strictly a backup/PS guy.

Second, the 1TDTs currently on the roster are Jones and Lotulelei, in a system where the DC and HC insist on rotation.  If we cut Star, it leaves a hole.  Settle may be able to play a bit of 1TDT; it's a waste of Oliver's best skills; Phillips can not play 1TDT.

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

His contract is set regardless. We’re paying him this year unless the unlikely happens and we trade him. So we deal with it. Frankly, his stoutness at the point of attack can’t be overlooked and with Von now flying off the edge, possibilities are endless. Then, there’s the whole ‘avail’ability thing..

I don't know what you mean by "contract set regardless" - we would save cap space if we cut Star, and more if we cut him post-June 1.

But I think the Bills value Star still, and have no motivation to cut him until/unless they have at leat 2 1TDTs on the roster who are better.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don't both statements mean that, though?

Quote is: " “Cole Beasley asked for a trade” is NOT the same as “The #Bills gave Cole Beasley permission to seek a trade”. Please don’t re-write history. Buffalo wasn’t gonna keep him at that cap number, and no other team bit at that cap number either, so he got released."

I mean, to me, they seem like the same thing - doesn't he have to ask for a trade to receive permission to seek one?

I'm sure to Nolan they're different statements, that's why I'm asking to be enlightened.

They could mean the same thing but they don't necessarily mean the same thing.  "Cole Beasley asked for a trade" means that Beasley wanted out of Buffalo.  "The Bills gave Cole Beasley permission to seek a trade." Could mean numerous things.  It could mean Beasley wanted out.  It could mean the Bills wanted Beasley out.  It could mean it was mutually exclusive.  It could mean other stuff too.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Doesnt mean he wont come back at lower offer

If that were going to happen, they wouldn't have released him. His requesting permission to seek a trade meant either he simply wanted out, period, or we approached him about a lower offer and he wasn't interested. During that time being allowed to speak to other teams, he surely found out what other teams would pay him. If our offer ended up being the best option for him after speaking with teams, they'd have reworked the deal, not outright released him.

• Agree 1

I'm going to miss the guy, he was an incredibly clutch player when we desperately needed one.   Nobody picked up 3rd downs like Beas.  As for the twitter issues with the league and NFLPA, it never bothered me personally, and I don't think that it really bothered the team either. In my opinion it is a weird thing to boo a player for your own team over.  

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Call me naive, but I was hoping for a servicable CB

I may call you naive, but I would never call you Shirley.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.