Since we appear to be "All-In", is there anyone in this draft worth trading up for?

Virgil

I haven't even begun to think about this upcoming draft and I know the Beane isn't a huge trade up guy.  Beane likes to acquire picks and we have a lot of depth spots to fill.  However, with the recent moves and cap spending, is there a difference maker that will be there at 10 or higher, that's worth us trading up for?

From my little research, there isn't a WR that would be worth it.  I'm actually inclined to take that WR from Bama who is hurt.  I'd be all for a versatile LB that could wreak some havoc.  Every other position we need, seems like there's plenty of depth and solid starters.  I know a lot are clamoring for that DT who ran a crazy fast 40, but I think our D-Line is set now. 

Anyone?

I highly doubt we're moving up early.  We need to keep the cupboard stocked with cheap draft talent moving forward.  

I do think we may use those 4 late picks (2-6, 2-7) to move around in the middle rounds.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

How can you view CB as solid with Tre coming of a knee injury and might not be ready to start the season and Levi gone.  CB is a big need

You misunderstand me, or I'm dumb.  There are plenty of DB's in this draft that we can get in the first 3 rounds that can easily start.  I don't see DB as a position we would need to trade up for

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You misunderstand me, or I'm dumb.  There are plenty of DB's in this draft that we can get in the first 3 rounds that can easily start.  I don't see DB as a position we would need to trade up for

Nope your analysis makes sense.  Outside of "Sauce" Gardner from Cincinnati there's not a CB worth giving of picks for who won't be there when we drafted at 25

Edited by BillsFanThru-N-Thru
  • Agree 2

The places we need the most help at seem to be pretty deep from what I can tell. There isn’t a “must have” player at a position of weakness we need to move around for.

When Free Agency has come to an end we can take a look at our needs and get an idea of where we may go. CB is the most glaring need with Levi leaving and Tre still recovering. We need depth at O-line for sure, and may want to look at TE after OJ leaves next year. I can absolutely see us going WR with Cole leaving town too.

Those positions luckily are stacked for the most part. We just need to sit tight and let the board fall as it may. BPA

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I haven't even begun to think about this upcoming draft and I know the Beane isn't a huge trade up guy.  Beane likes to acquire picks and we have a lot of depth spots to fill.  However, with the recent moves and cap spending, is there a difference maker that will be there at 10 or higher, that's worth us trading up for?

From my little research, there isn't a WR that would be worth it.  I'm actually inclined to take that WR from Bama who is hurt.  I'd be all for a versatile LB that could wreak some havoc.  Every other position we need, seems like there's plenty of depth and solid starters.  I know a lot are clamoring for that DT who ran a crazy fast 40, but I think our D-Line is set now. 

Anyone?

I was writing a similar thread but deleted it because i dont think there is that superstar that will put us over the top. Im hoping we can land WR Jameson Williams of Alabama do to his injury. Runs a 4.25 with decent size.

But we definitely should trade those later round picks to get better picks in the middle rounds, because those late round picks arent making this team.

• Like (+1) 2

Best course of action is to stay put at #25 in my opinion.  The very top of the draft may not be as star-studded compared to years' past, but the depth all the way through to Pick #25 is solid.  While the top 6-7 players may be in a tier above,  I think the grades from players 8-30 or so are pretty similar, so I would let the board come to us and simply grab the highest rated player to fall in our lap at 25, ideally a WR or CB...I'm fairly optimistic that one of Olave, Burks, J. Williams, London, Stingley, McDuffie, or Booth will be available at our pick.  25 is a perfect spot to be in this year's draft. Stay put and don't waste the assets to move up in Round 1.

Edited by jshalt31

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I see maybe 7-8 CBs that are day 1 starters. I expect them all to be gone by rd 2. There are others who could develop into starters but I don't think should be rushed. I'd move up to the late teens for a CB. The ones available around 25 are good players who are slightly shorter than I'd like.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I see maybe 7-8 CBs that are day 1 starters. I expect them all to be gone by rd 2. There are others who could develop into starters but I don't think should be rushed.

The problem is out of those guys Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Gordon, Booth, Kaiir Elam, Roger McCreary are all going before the Bills pick in round 2. The only one that even remotely has a shot is Kyler Gordon in my opinion. If we want a day 1 starter at CB we have to draft one at 25. I'm in agreement with you but the top 7 guys dont make it to Bills round 2 pick. The next best guy is arguable amongst Emerson, Bryant, Woolen etc that next tier but thats a pretty steep fall off like your saying. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

@ndirish1978 You think 25% of the first round picks will be DB's?  I'm not saying your wrong, because I have no idea, but wow

I don't think he said that they would all be first round picks, they just wouldn't make it to the Bills end of the 2nd round pick. I easily see McCreary, Gordon, and Elam being 2nd rounders but going before the Bills make their selection. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

@ndirish1978 You think 25% of the first round picks will be DB's?  I'm not saying your wrong, because I have no idea, but wow

A little less, I said by the end of round 2. I expect Stingley, Gardner, McDuffie, Booth, Elam to be gone in rd 1. I expect Gordon, Woolen, McCreary gone in rd 2.

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem is out of those guys Gardner, Stingley, McDuffie, Gordon, Booth, Kaiir Elam, Roger McCreary are all going before the Bills pick in round 2. The only one that even remotely has a shot is Kyler Gordon in my opinion. If we want a day 1 starter at CB we have to draft one at 25. I'm in agreement with you but the top 7 guys dont make it to Bills round 2 pick. The next best guy is arguable amongst Emerson, Bryant, Woolen etc that next tier but thats a pretty steep fall off like your saying. 

Agreed, I think CB needs to be the pick in Rd 1 unless we get a solid starter in FA, it's the biggest hole on the team by far now.  

At 25 you're probably looking at Elam or Gordon and they would both be a little but overdrafted there. Most of the mocks I'm looking at have CBs going in the 11-20 range. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.