March Madness 2022

Mark Vader

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

ND is a real sleeper in this tournament. 

haha yeah well our fandoms are separate..me the Bills..he the fighting Irish....I dont THINK he's ever been to a March madness game before...it just happens to be local where SDSU plays and he scored a ticket. He will be super jazzed if they win that is for sure. GO IRISH~!~!!!~~~!!

edit: I was wrong. He went to an ASU-Ohio state game in early 80's in Phoenix...ASU was destroyed in that game he said. Pre Muppy. haha

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, muppy said:

haha yeah well our fandoms are separate..me the Bills..he the fighting Irish....I dont THINK he's ever been to a March madness game before...it just happens to be local where SDSU plays and he scored a ticket. He will be super jazzed if they win that is for sure. GO IRISH~!~!!!~~~!!

edit: I was wrong. He went to an ASU-Ohio state game in early 80's in Phoenix...ASU was destroyed in that game he said. Pre Muppy. haha

If you ever get the chance without too much trouble, check out an NCAA tournament. Not quite a Bills opener, but it’s four days of constant action and energy! I’ve been to a bunch over the last 20 years, and it’s incredible

I’ve been to a Bills SB, and the Masters, and a bunch of other cool events. The wildest time I ever had was the NCAA tournament in Orlando. The first bar I walked into in Church Street Station became my home base. There was a crowd of a 2-3 dozen guys from Wisconsin at the bar having a riot of a time. I’m alone (though tons of Xavier peeps are there) and happen to buy a few guys a pitcher. I was immediately “adopted” and part of the family. They have 3 generations of guys who pick a warm weather spot every year, regardless of where Wisconsin is playing. 

Each school has their cheerleaders and bands and they do a thing outside the bars before heading to the games. It’s like Mardis Gras, St Patricks Day and Woodstock had a baby! Nothing else like it! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

If you ever get the chance without too much trouble, check out an NCAA tournament. Not quite a Bills opener, but it’s four days of constant action and energy! I’ve been to a bunch over the last 20 years, and it’s incredible

I’ve been to a Bills SB, and the Masters, and a bunch of other cool events. The wildest time I ever had was the NCAA tournament in Orlando. The first bar I walked into in Church Street Station became my home base. There was a crowd of a 2-3 dozen guys from Wisconsin at the bar having a riot of a time. I’m alone (though tons of Xavier peeps are there) and happen to buy a few guys a pitcher. I was immediately “adopted” and part of the family. They have 3 generations of guys who pick a warm weather spot every year, regardless of where Wisconsin is playing. 

Each school has their cheerleaders and bands and they do a thing outside the bars before heading to the games. It’s like Mardis Gras, St Patricks Day and Woodstock had a baby! Nothing else like it! 

thank you for sharing those amazing times! I will report back tomorrow regarding his impressions of being at the game. He told me that Texas Tech is no slouch team it is going to be a battle!

EDIT: after conversation with hubby I have  much better understanding of todays game and March Madness in general. I had no clue that ND as a bottom seed in their bracket and that even winning was never a given. In fact were supposed to lose against Rutgers, then alabama, Now Texas Tech. Its a cinderella story eh folks? WOW. Hubby is ND diehard EVERYTHING and I just can't keep up with it so Im glad he clued me . Now Im even more excited for today! He takes the trolley to the arena. Wish I was going now actually.

@Miyagi-Do Karate@Augie

Edited by muppy

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Because of or in spite of the handshake incident with Wisconsin?

Neither, honestly.

He was always a bit of a hothead and I assumed that whole Wisconsin incident was on him until I actually saw the video and realized the other  head coach had grabbed him first and then that idiot assistant had come barreling in there shoving people and screaming then put his hands on one of Howard's players. He shouldn't have cuffed him right then when things were already running hot, but he didn't start it and there were multiple extenuating circumstances.

It's more just watching the way he manages game situations, how he interacts with his players, the things he's saying spontaneously when somebody sticks a microphone in his face. His sense of awareness and his demeanor have had me unconsciously nodding my head at him. I just never expected that to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Simon said:

I've never really cared for Juwan Howard since the Fab Five days but I feel like I'm sorta starting to gain some respect for him. 🤷‍♂️

It was pretty cool to see the interaction between him and the kid from Tennessee last night. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

It was pretty cool to see the interaction between him and the kid from Tennessee last night. 

Yes, that interaction was top shelf.

Changing gears.  The commercials with Spike Lee, Samuel L Jackson and Charles Barkley  are definitely top

shelf and better than ANY of the Super Bowl commercials.

• Like (+1) 1

Coach K losing to Izzo would be fitting. Izzo is a great coach. Coach K is a guy who should have won more championships given that he had his pick of high school All Americans every year. Like Calipari, he has done less with more to an amazing degree. Other than whining, he’s just a recruiter. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Coach K losing to Izzo would be fitting. Izzo is a great coach. Coach K is a guy who should have won more championships given that he had his pick of high school All Americans every year. Like Calipari, he has done less with more to an amazing degree. Other than whining, he’s just a recruiter. 

Duke has the momentum right now. Let's see what Izzo can do here.

oh no this is not looking good right now...ugh TT 5 point lead 40 seconds to go....oh my....

it's cookies Blech 😞

what a shame they just made crucial mistakes/turnovers  and TT with some key defensive turnovers ...

one interesting note I didnt know was that if you were present for the ND game you can stay to watch the next Basketball game too. So he is staying to watch AZ vs TCU

he had a  really good time he isn't super bummed Im glad.

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.