Breece Hall Please!!

Milanos Milano

6 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Hall seems to have great hands but when I watch the tape he does not seem to be taking it North and South or breaking many tackles at the line of scrimmage. He seems to be barely breaking away from the college defenders which translates to not breaking away at the next level. 

He didn’t rack up 1500 yds rushing going east and west. Give the guy some credit. He was basically Iowa State’s offense and couldn’t be maintained. Same as JT28 at Wisconsin. 7 runs of 70+ yards. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Thankfully I feel like McD understands the importance of having an elite RB. His comments on Thurman is telling. Very telling. Go get your weapon! 

We even had a meeting with Breece. Only a handful of RBs we met with. 

Yeah - look at what they have invested in RB.  A couple of 3rd round picks and picking up low level FAs for next to no money.  Elite RB must be sky high on his list.

The Bills have done nothing as Sal points out to suggest anything other than a mid level RB is what they are looking for.  

They have not drafted RB high, they have not gone after a high end FA RB.  Everything has been that they view RB as a replacement level commodity and place a higher priority on many other positions.  Not that they wouldn’t draft a RB high, but he would need to be so far superior to everything else at the same point.  

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He didn’t rack up 1500 yds rushing going east and west. Give the guy some credit. He was basically Iowa State’s offense and couldn’t be maintained. Same as JT28 at Wisconsin. 7 runs of 70+ yards. 

Honestly don’t even try anymore. If people don’t want to see it, it’s on them. Hopefully McBeane sees it, which is all that matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

RBs are key contributors to winning SBs. The Patriots SB wins are examples. James White could’ve easily been the MVP in one of them 

Every positions are key contributors to winning Super Bowls…..  so are special teams coordinators that know how to communicate orders to their kickers.  

Did you watch this last super bowl?  How important was the RB position to the rams winning the title? 19 rushes- 28 yards from Akers, Michel and henderson.  Why?  Because the OL didn’t open up any holes.  But I bet Breece Hall would’ve run for 19 times for 128 yards because he’s so elite.  Riiiight

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yeah - look at what they have invested in RB.  A couple of 3rd round picks and picking up low level FAs for next to no money.  Elite RB must be sky high on his list.

The Bills have done nothing as Sal points out to suggest anything other than a mid level RB is what they are looking for.  

They have not drafted RB high, they have not gone after a high end FA RB.  Everything has been that they view RB as a replacement level commodity and place a higher priority on many other positions.  Not that they wouldn’t draft a RB high, but he would need to be so far superior to everything else at the same point.  

Huh?  They literally just had a deal with McKissic that fell through cause Washington pulled a slick one on us. 

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t mind trying to upgrade the RB room but reaching for an RB in the 1st round seems like total overkill 

Why is Hall a "reach"?   He's considered the best RB in this draft class and a first round talent.   I don't want the Bills to reach for a player at any position.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m glad that we reached on Tre’Davious White …..the 5th cb drafted.

not saying that is our best option….but I think that each draft class is different and being the 5th best often has a lot to do with the other players in the class.  There are 6-8 WRs I’d MUCH rather draft than Breece Hall.  

you’d rather draft Hall over Pickens, Dotson and Watson? 

Don't try to rewrite history.  White might have been a reach at #10 but wasn't considered one at #24 or #25 where the Bills took him.   The controversy with White was that the Bills traded out of the #10 pick when they needed a QB and 2 excellent prospects, Mahomes and Watson, were available.  Taking White also seemed to be part of the same old, same old Bills management pattern under Ralph Wilson/Russ Brandon regime during the salary cap era: allowing good/great players to walk rather than give them a second contract and using the draft to fill the hole left in the roster.   The Bills passed on a QB to draft a DB because they had allowed Stephon Gilmore to leave in FA earlier. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not against a RB in the late 1st or early 2nd. You just have to make sure you get a workhorse.

I think drafting Zion Johnson would help improve the run game more than any RB in the draft.

I'm a ZJ fan myself and would definitely want the Bills to take him over Hall if both were available.  However, most of the posters arguing against Hall also don't want a first round IOLer.   They simply don't want RBs because of their short "shelf lives" and they don't want IOLers because they're "too expensive" if teams exercise fifth year options.   Neither is a particularly compelling reason, especially when few, if any, of the posters in this thread arguing against the Bills taking Hall at #25 have actually named a WR or CB that they'd like the Bills to take.  

It seems to me that if you don't want the Bills to take Hall, then you ought to offer the name of a specific alternative, ie, an actual prospect not a generic WR or CB.

30 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You could say the same thing about their #2 CB spot.  Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they wouldn't if the right player were available. It may be that the right opportunity just hasn't presented itself.  

That being said,  I don't think they're going to draft a RB at 25. 

Edited by Brandon

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why is Hall a "reach"?   He's considered the best RB in this draft class and a first round talent.   I don't want the Bills to reach for a player at any position.

Don't try to rewrite history.  White might have been a reach at #10 but wasn't considered one at #24 or #25 where the Bills took him.   The controversy with White was that the Bills traded out of the #10 pick when they needed a QB and 2 excellent prospects, Mahomes and Watson, were available.  Taking White also seemed to be part of the same old, same old Bills management pattern under Ralph Wilson/Russ Brandon regime during the salary cap era: allowing good/great players to walk rather than give them a second contract and using the draft to fill the hole left in the roster.   The Bills passed on a QB to draft a DB because they had allowed Stephon Gilmore to leave in FA earlier. 

I'm a ZJ fan myself and would definitely want the Bills to take him over Hall if both were available.  However, most of the posters arguing against Hall also don't want a first round IOLer.   They simply don't want RBs because of their short "shelf lives" and they don't want IOLers because they're "too expensive" if teams exercise fifth year options.   Neither is a particularly compelling reason, especially when few, if any, of the posters in this thread arguing against the Bills taking Hall at #25 have actually named a WR or CB that they'd like the Bills to take.  

It seems to me that if you don't want the Bills to take Hall, then you ought to offer the name of a specific alternative, ie, an actual prospect not a generic WR or CB.

Context…..more

I was replying to someone that blasted on posters for preferring to take the 5th best corner over the best RB.  

Depending on the draft classes, as I also mentioned, I think many teams would rather have the 5th best corner over the best RB.  That will likely hold true in this years drafts too.  Done by professionals that get paid to do this.  

• Like (+1) 1

For me, I’ve learned to try and filter out draft round philosophy. I now substitute it for, who can help me win more games and get us a super bowl. 

Drafting a player like Hall in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd is semantics. If you believe in a player that can help you win games, you go for it. You rank your players in order who can help you the most at any given point. You should create an algorithm. 

We know we are lacking elite RB talent, we know we are lacking elite O-line talent. 
We know we aren’t lacking in WR, QB talent. 
Need and BPA should be weighted. 

If Hall or any RB is determined that they can win X amount of games, you pull the trigger. An elite RB forces teams to put 8 in the box regularly. Against a player like Allen, that’s almost impossible. In my opinion, an elite RB is our missing piece. It makes sense from a logical offensive strategy perspective. 
I don’t mind making sure we secure the piece we need to make that happen, even if it’s in the 1st round. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Context…..more

I was replying to someone that blasted on posters for preferring to take the 5th best corner over the best RB.  

Depending on the draft classes, as I also mentioned, I think many teams would rather have the 5th best corner over the best RB.  That will likely hold true in this years drafts too.  Done by professionals that get paid to do this.  

Agreed.  Just comparing comparing the 5th best CB to the top rated RB doesn't necessarily mean anything.  The 5th best prospect at one position may be a MUCH better prospect than the best at another. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Context…..more

I understand that but using White as an example was a poor choice, especially when the Bills pre-Beane gave us sooooooo many examples.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Agreed.  Just comparing comparing the 5th best CB to the top rated RB doesn't necessarily mean anything.  The 5th best prospect at one position may be a MUCH better prospect than the best at another. 

Common sense will get you nowhere sir!!

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

I understand that but using White as an example was a poor choice, especially when the Bills pre-Beane gave us sooooooo many examples.

It’s not….he was the 5th cornerback drafted…..which was the topic.  The comment had NOTHING to do with beane

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Give me some examples of the Bills taking the 5th best corner over the best rb.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You could say the same thing about their #2 CB spot.  Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they wouldn't if the right player were available. It may be that the right opportunity just hasn't presented itself.  

That being said,  I don't think they're going to draft a RB at 25. 

I agree - I do not think they attach the value to CB #2 that some others do, but at least at CB - they have drafted a 1st round talent.  They have also paid big money to retain White and Johnson and have spent higher level money on FA additions - none of which they have done at RB.

Beane has even said - he would not pass on RB if the right player, fit, and value was there and I believe that - the question is where do those line up compared to other positions.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

For me, I’ve learned to try and filter out draft round philosophy. I now substitute it for, who can help me win more games and get us a super bowl. 

Drafting a player like Hall in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd is semantics. If you believe in a player that can help you win games, you go for it. You rank your players in order who can help you the most at any given point. You should create an algorithm. 

We know we are lacking elite RB talent, we know we are lacking elite O-line talent. 
We know we aren’t lacking in WR, QB talent. 
Need and BPA should be weighted. 

If Hall or any RB is determined that they can win X amount of games, you pull the trigger. An elite RB forces teams to put 8 in the box regularly. Against a player like Allen, that’s almost impossible. In my opinion, an elite RB is our missing piece. It makes sense from a logical offensive strategy perspective. 
I don’t mind making sure we secure the piece we need to make that happen, even if it’s in the 1st round. 

I think this line of thinking had its merits on the pure basis of adding an “elite RB” but I’m not aligned to it with any of the RBs in this draft at 25, which is why I can’t get there. I don’t know if Hall or any of them are elite nfl prospects, he’s not the best in the class from my perspective so I’m stuck on the whole needing to take him or else philosophy. 

I like Walker & Spiller at 57 potentially. I’m ok taking one higher than the 3rd at this point. But none of them show me 1st round traits at a position of average value - JMO 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Huh?  They literally just had a deal with McKissic that fell through cause Washington pulled a slick one on us. 

Yes for a small FA deal - they weren’t giving him a big FA contract.  He was another low level addition - a little more than they gave Duke Johnson.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think this line of thinking had its merits on the pure basis of adding an “elite RB” but I’m not aligned to it with any of the RBs in this draft at 25, which is why I can’t get there. I don’t know if hall or any of them are elite nfl prospects, he’s not the best in the class from my perspective so I’m stuck on the whole needing to take him or else philosophy. 

I like Walker & Spiller at 57 potentially. 

This is a fair take. I respect it. If people don’t value Hall as an elite RB, that is fine. But I firmly believe this team is an elite RB away from winning multiple Super Bowls.

It is true, that an elite RB by themselves will not win you Super Bowls, which I agree with posters who have already stated as such, but I believe this team is different and it needs one. 

Allen is beyond elite, and having an elite RB will force teams from playing high shell. It makes Allen infinitely more dangerous. Having an elite RB doesn’t mean we have to take the ball out of Allen’s hands. It just means we have that extra piece to keep defenses honest. It’s an almost impossible task given how good Allen is. It’s what we need. It’s what will get us a Lombardi. Just my opinion though. 

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree - I do not think they attach the value to CB #2 that some others do, but at least at CB - they have drafted a 1st round talent.  They have also paid big money to retain White and Johnson and have spent higher level money on FA additions - none of which they have done at RB.

Beane has even said - he would not pass on RB if the right player, fit, and value was there and I believe that - the question is where do those line up compared to other positions.

At this stage, I don't think the value this year lines up with pick 25.  If they really want Hall, I'd prefer they trade back a dozen or so spots before they do it. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1