Breece Hall Please!!

Milanos Milano

Man just a lot of crazy talk. I'm not committed to one guy, but I'd love Hall on this team. 

For starters we don't need a RB1 we don't play an RB1 . But we absolutely need a RB out of this draft. 

We could use playmakers. A pass catching RB or a jack of all trades jacknife WR. 

Hall will likely be that guy at 25.

A guy like Hall will get 10-15 touches a game regardless of how. 

That's more playmaking and use than any WR we will get at 25 factoring our depth chart. Let's add that our WR core had 4 re-sign ed or signed. 

Honestly seeing as how a CB will likely enter as a CB3 or a WR would be 4 or 5, and seeing how Singletary is an UFA next year....it just lines up very well. 

As for CB ...I guess it depends how we have our own CB2 graded and depends how TD is coming along. I believe they like Dane more than we know. I also believe they are very confident in their ability to draft CBs later and coach them up. 

I won't be heartbroken with any one pick this year, but man...Hall would look really good in blue 

Even if you back to Singletary's draft year, Jacobs is very good from round one. David Montgomery, player for a terrible team, has stats that are neck and neck with Jacobs and he was a third rounder. The value just isn't there.  

Another interesting exercise is to look at how many first down running backs have their 5th year option picked up. I get that there are garbage picks at other positions in these drafts. But the value of a running back later in the draft is better. 

2019 - I am guessing they pick up Jacobs. hasn't been announced. 

2018 - Barkley grudgingly picked up. He's hurt a bunch.  Rashaad Penny and Sony Michel declined. Michel has been traded already. 

2017 - McCaffrey picked up. He's hurt a bunch.  Fournette declined and he was cut. 

2016 - Elliot picked up. Career winding down. Losing lots of carriers to a 4th round pick. 

2015 - Todd Gurley extended. His career is over. Melvin Gordon picked up. Still rolling in Denver. Lost his job in San Diego to an UDFA. 

2012 - Trent Richardson, no and he's done. Doug Martin, declined and retired. David Wilson retired in two years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can you get a really good running back in the 1st round of the NFL draft, especially early on?  Yes. 

Can you get a really good running back in the back end of the 1st round?    Let's see:

These are RBs drafted in the first round.  Would you be happy if Breece Hall turns out like:

• Ryan Matthews
  • Doug Martin
  • Todd Gurley
  • Rashad Penny
  • Sony Micheal
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire
  • Mark Ingram

It appears some of these RBs had flashes, but it is not sustainable for 4-5 years.  Others just weren't that good.   Is it worth the #25 pick if you only get 2 good years out of a RB?

Thoughts?

IMO Looking at that list, it is rare to get 5 good years out of a running back.  Definitely some luck and randomness involved. 

Edited by intimidatortj

13 minutes ago, Realist said:

If RB is such an easy position to fill, why are we even having this discussion. Singletary is nothing more than a good running back, I wouldn't even say very good. Why have we not been able to get better production out of the position. DS has had trouble winning the position from Moss, we need more talent at the position. I would not be disappointed if we took Hall. It will either be a CB or Hall, more and more pundits believe it will be Hall.

I agree Singletary is an avg RB, a nice RB#2 change of pace guy.

To me the Bills need to find some longer term fixes on the OL. A strong OL makes your QB and RB look better.

Josh Allen has masked a lot of deficiencies on the OL, and has taken some hits for it. None of our RBs has been able to look better than average behind it.

Either McDermott or Beane said they want JA taking fewer hits. I have no reason to doubt that.

It should not surprise anyone if the Bills go OL a couple of times in this draft. If C#1 or OG #1 are there at 25 they may have a hard time passing on him.

I love RBs. Still my favorite position, but I'm not sure Hall or Walker III (the clear two best RBs in this draft) are 1st round guys. Regardless, if Either is selected I will be pulling hard for the to unseat Singletary and provide another dimension to the offense.

17 minutes ago, Realist said:

If RB is such an easy position to fill, why are we even having this discussion. Singletary is nothing more than a good running back, I wouldn't even say very good. Why have we not been able to get better production out of the position. DS has had trouble winning the position from Moss, we need more talent at the position. I would not be disappointed if we took Hall. It will either be a CB or Hall, more and more pundits believe it will be Hall.

The value of a good running back in a Josh Allen led offense is equal to the value of a hall-of-fame running back in a Josh Allen offense. The offense still drives through Josh Allen and the passing game. 

There is value to keep drafting RB’s as they are cheap hires for four to five years.  The 1st RD pick needs to be a high revenue pick like DE, DT, CB, WR, and of course QB.  That 5th year option is valuable.

I wouldn’t agree with a RB, in the 1st.  It doesn’t make sense.  CB or WR makes a lot of sense when our salaries will start to balloon.  Now the cap will exponentially go up, but to think we can’t find another RB in the 3rd or 4th, and vol heartedly use them up for four years and not sign the second contract is not good business.  

I expect we take a RB mid rounds almost every year.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

You lost me immediately by listing Bishop Sankey who was the 54th pick in his draft 

A pretty good comparison.

He was the first RB taken in a draft where there was not first round talent at the RB position.

This year there is not first round talent at the RB position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends who’s there when we pick at 25… but I’ll complain just to get under your skin yes. 😉

Get under my skin?  I beg to differ.  Your disproval is music to my eyes.  It’s definitely one of the more enjoyable daily routines in my life. 

100 pages is going to be much easier than I thought. Lookin like the O/U prior to the first pick is 110

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I agree Singletary is an avg RB, a nice RB#2 change of pace guy.

To me the Bills need to find some longer term fixes on the OL. A strong OL makes your QB and RB look better.

Josh Allen has masked a lot of deficiencies on the OL, and has taken some hits for it. None of our RBs has been able to look better than average behind it.

Either McDermott or Beane said they want JA taking fewer hits. I have no reason to doubt that.

It should not surprise anyone if the Bills go OL a couple of times in this draft. If C#1 or OG #1 are there at 25 they may have a hard time passing on him.

I love RBs. Still my favorite position, but I'm not sure Hall or Walker III (the clear two best RBs in this draft) are 1st round guys. Regardless, if Either is selected I will be pulling hard for the to unseat Singletary and provide another dimension to the offense.

Singletary to me needs volume to be good. he needs 15-25 carries. He needs to be fed and he doesn't do anything else for the offense if he isn't getting the ball. I think he is a very good player, but not the fit for what this offense is now. Neither is Moss. They should not be taking a back in the first round. But they should be looking for a complimentary piece who can catch the ball well. maybe that's James Cook or Rachaad White in round 3. Maybe it's Max Borghi in round 6-7. Maybe it's Jerick McKinnon on Monday But its should not be in round 1 imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

There is value to keep drafting RB’s as they are cheap hires for four to five years.  The 1st RD pick needs to be a high revenue pick like DE, DT, CB, WR, and of course QB.  That 5th year option is valuable.

I wouldn’t agree with a RB, in the 1st.  It doesn’t make sense.  CB or WR makes a lot of sense when our salaries will start to balloon.  Now the cap will exponentially go up, but to think we can’t find another RB in the 3rd or 4th, and vol heartedly use them up for four years and not sign the second contract is not good business.  

I expect we take a RB mid rounds almost every year.

I'm with you, it's time to groom another RB to take Singletary's place.  But that RB should not be a 1st round pick.

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Even if you back to Singletary's draft year, Jacobs is very good from round one. David Montgomery, player for a terrible team, has stats that are neck and neck with Jacobs and he was a third rounder. The value just isn't there.  

Another interesting exercise is to look at how many first down running backs have their 5th year option picked up. I get that there are garbage picks at other positions in these drafts. But the value of a running back later in the draft is better. 

2019 - I am guessing they pick up Jacobs. hasn't been announced. 

2018 - Barkley grudgingly picked up. He's hurt a bunch.  Rashaad Penny and Sony Michel declined. Michel has been traded already. 

2017 - McCaffrey picked up. He's hurt a bunch.  Fournette declined and he was cut. 

2016 - Elliot picked up. Career winding down. Losing lots of carriers to a 4th round pick. 

2015 - Todd Gurley extended. His career is over. Melvin Gordon picked up. Still rolling in Denver. Lost his job in San Diego to an UDFA. 

2012 - Trent Richardson, no and he's done. Doug Martin, declined and retired. David Wilson retired in two years. 

Look, I think this list is actually pretty decent. Many have been solid contributors. Expecting one position, especially late round to "turn a team around" seems like a pretty unfair burden. 

Comparing to later round guys who produced better could be done at nearly any position.

Obviously forgetting Harris who was almost single handidly pushed Pitt to playoffs. 

It's also very important we are talking about pick #25 and not #5. 

Now show me the busts and performance of WRs....or CB....even OG another position where later rounds tend to produce viable starters. 

35 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yup. I’ve seen the line play in each of the last 3 years with Singletary as well. He doesn’t have it. He’s not any better than average. He’s exactly the kind of player you get at the position when you draft one in round 3 every year. At some point we need to stop spinning the wheels and just get a good one. 

oh, and they aren’t drafting an OL in the first round anyway because they have done too much this off-season to justify it. They are going into the season with what we have at OL regardless how many people think we’re taking one. Unless someone slides way down the boards and we pick them up in mid/late rounds that shouldn’t be there anyway. 

So what your saying is the RB had the ability to score from just about anywhere in the field and ripped off a 40 yard TD to make it 2 for him that day and you say he had nothing to do with winning the game?

got it. Makes all the sense in the world now. Your football knowledge is baffling. 

Ok - I get it the guy who has repeatedly had to correct you lacks football knowledge- nice.

Let’s review.  

1st you stated in a  patronizing way how CEH when healthy lead the Chiefs to a SB victory and that proves us wrong - Oops your bad.

Then you claim that well Williams lead the team to victory and that is why a running back being drafted is important. - except Williams was an UDFA again showing you do not need the high pick to help you team.

Then there is the 106 yards at a 6.1 YPC and 29 yards receiving to show how vital he was to the win.  Except non of that was true - going into the 4th quarter he had 60 yards and a 4 YPC average and the Chiefs were losing 20-10 - the Chiefs took the lead solely on the arm of Mahomes.  Then after a 4th down stop with the 49ers running an all out blitz - Williams did manage to make a 38 yard run to put up the final score - it was nice, but he had little to do with the outcome - it was all Mahomes.  To cement that what did the Chiefs do - they tried to replace the UDFA with CEH.

Finally then you state - well that is important that you RB can score from anyplace on the field, but you know who has had a longer TD run each year he has been in the league - yep Singletary.  So once again your argument points to the fact that a guy on our roster can already do everything the RB in KC did to win the SB.

You have not done anything, but provide excellent reasons why the Bills should stick with a 2 million dollar RB in Singletary.  He has broken more long runs than the guy that you claimed helped KC win the SB.  He has a better career YPC and Yard per catch.  

Whatever - you showed your knowledge with you first incorrect post - since then you have just been bailing and flailing.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

My 27th favorite thing about this thread:  

Hall is still listed as 6’1 in the op even though he was measured @ 5’11 at the combine.  

We all know game height is different than combine height

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, intimidatortj said:

Sorry, I will do better.  My memory is not that good anymore.

Sorry, man.  I think I must just be getting tired of the Breece Hall threads.  Also, it's still early here on the West Coast so I'm a cranky boy.  I actually agree with you.  CJ Spiller (and to some extent Marshawn) turned me off to 1st round running backs (for the Bills) forever, especially when you consider we got Thurman in the 2nd round and Fred Jackson as an UDFA.

• Haha (+1) 1