Breece Hall Please!!

Milanos Milano

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Scoring TDs doesn’t equate to having good power and contact balance.  He’s a great fit in a zone scheme and a very poor fit in power scheme 

To be fair to Hall, his scouting report from Lance Zierlein on NFL.com says this:

Strengths

- Has the size of a high-volume back.

- Touchdown monster from all ranges.

- Finished career with five touchdown runs of 75 or more yards.

- Gets around the field with good bend and balance.

- Recognizes lane development before it happens.

- Changes foot cadence for unpredictable burst point.

- Sets up second-level tacklers to fail.

- Patient behind lead blockers, steering them into defenders.

- Makes rhythmic cuts with no loss of speed to beat open-field tacklers.

- Powerful base absorbs contact and stays on his feet.

- Drops pads and hammers through tacklers while falling forward.

- Set of skills to become an above-average third-down option.

and his scouting report from Dane Brugler, whose draft analysis I really respect, says this:

1500756857_ScreenShot2022-04-19at1_44_16PM.thumb.png.2b1a8a96b426943647b1ffb1e82eb3bd.png

"Drops his pads and finishes with contact balance, not making it easy on tacklers".

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Beane wouldn't be drafting a RB hoping he's the next Terry Miller. I can cite busts at any position if I want to say no 1st rounder is ever worth the risk.  For years there were advocates of never drafting a 1st round QB making similar comments to your post.  Thankfully Beane didn't agree with them. 

Yes, we’ve already went over the fact that there are points and counterpoints to every argument made…..

Regarding the bolded…….just WOW.  
You’re comparing a thought process of 30-50 years ago to now regarding not drafting QBs in rd 1. When Beane actually made the selection…,.not one person on earth felt that way…..good thing that Beane agreed with them.

not sure what point you’re trying to make that is relevant to today.   

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, we’ve already went over the fact that there are points and counterpoints to every argument made…..

Regarding the bolded…….just WOW.  
You’re comparing a thought process of 30-50 years ago to now regarding not drafting QBs in rd 1. When Beane actually made the selection…,.not one person on earth felt that way…..good thing that Beane agreed with them.

not sure what point you’re trying to make that is relevant to today.   

There were plenty of posters in 2018 who didn't want to trade up for a QB-check the archives.  

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Ummm…Kansas City and Mahomes 

Exactly - they wasted a pick on RB and have gotten better production from UDFAs since drafting CEH.

No one is scared of KC running the ball, but Mahomes and that passing attack was deadly.

23 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

11249D5B-7302-40E4-A93B-52FC2E6F3CA2.gif.e71ad3c985b94449b949e202d0901d5b.gif

Did you know Lurch died at 47 due to a disease called Acromegaly which was responsible for his tall height & strangely deep voice? Doesn't relate to this topic, thought it was interesting that I just found out recently. 

Carry on TBD 🙂

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There were plenty of posters in 2018 who didn't want to trade up for a QB-check the archives.  

TBD goes through phases with that sort of thing.  If I recall correctly,  there was a contingent of posters vehemently opposed to early WR picks about 5-10 years ago as well.  Personally,  I still have some anti CB bias over all the first round rent-a-corners that John Butler took in the 1990s.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

To be fair to Hall, his scouting report from Lance Zierlein on NFL.com says this:

Strengths

- Has the size of a high-volume back.

- Touchdown monster from all ranges.

- Finished career with five touchdown runs of 75 or more yards.

- Gets around the field with good bend and balance.

- Recognizes lane development before it happens.

- Changes foot cadence for unpredictable burst point.

- Sets up second-level tacklers to fail.

- Patient behind lead blockers, steering them into defenders.

- Makes rhythmic cuts with no loss of speed to beat open-field tacklers.

- Powerful base absorbs contact and stays on his feet.

- Drops pads and hammers through tacklers while falling forward.

- Set of skills to become an above-average third-down option.

and his scouting report from Dane Brugler, whose draft analysis I really respect, says this:

1500756857_ScreenShot2022-04-19at1_44_16PM.thumb.png.2b1a8a96b426943647b1ffb1e82eb3bd.png

"Drops his pads and finishes with contact balance, not making it easy on tacklers".

and counters to some of those thoughts…..

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/breece-hall-2022-nfl-draft-stock-value-fantasy-football

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/breece-hall-iowa-state-rb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/breece-hall

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Breece-Hall-RB-IowaState

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/03/23/2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report-breece-hall/amp/

I like Breece Hall a lot.  I think that he’s going to be a very good/great rb if he lands in the right slot.  I just say it how I see it.  If you disagree with some of the things that I see when I watch him play, cool beans.  

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Oh…..now we’re talking about posters…..

carry on by yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/breece-hall-2022-nfl-draft-stock-value-fantasy-football

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/breece-hall-iowa-state-rb-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2022/

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/03/23/2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report-breece-hall/amp/

I like Breece Hall a lot.  I think that he’s going to be a very good/great rb if he lands in the right slot.  I just say it how I see it.  If you disagree with some of the things that I see when I watch him play, cool beans.  

How dare you offer a respectful rebuttal based on contrary opinions provided by professionals other than the ones I listed!

That's now how this works. You're supposed to arrogantly dismiss my comments, post a belittling emoji face, and claim that I don't watch enough football.

Do better.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

How dare you offer a respectful rebuttal based on contrary opinions provided by professionals other than the ones I listed!

That's now how this works. You're supposed to arrogantly dismiss my comments, post a belittling emoji face, and claim that I don't watch enough football.

Do better.

Hahaha!!  Too late.  You’ve already earned my respect!  

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but it's still a hard no for Hall or any running back at pick 25. Beane knows this and I'd be shocked if he was the pick. 

Bingo!

I agree with you 100% again.

I think the only way we get Hall or KWIII is in ONE draft scenario (and another unlikely scenario).

1.  We can't find a trade partner to trade up for a cornerback. --- AND

2.  Beane doesn't like the options at 25 and CAN find a trade down partner to target Hall or KWIII (plus get an extra second rounder in the process)

Unlikely

- Hall or KWIII last until our second round pick.  Then you just have to jump all over that.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Oh…..now we’re talking about posters…..

carry on by yourself. 

I was always talking about fellow posters since that's the reference point when I'm talking on this board. Who else would I be referring to when I used to words similar comments to your POST. It is always with OTHER POSTERS OPINIONS, unless one specifically cites a member of the media or team.  I'm not expecting Beane or McDermott to join in and be part of our discussion.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:17 PM, Rochesterfan said:

It doesn’t matter - you should almost never draft a RB in the first round.  The cost of a 5th year option and a second contract make it not worth it.  

You overpay even if he is good - the cost versus return on 1st round backs is terrible.

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We're not drafting in the top 10 anymore.  People need to realize that when your team is drafting near the end of the 1st round you will not get to draft again until the late 2nd round and if the sweet spot for RBs is early 2nd round if you want one you either use a 1st rounder or lose the player.  You can't count on a trade up or trade down.  It's not the same mentality as drafting in the top 10. 

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was always talking about fellow posters since that's the reference point when I'm talking on this board. Who else would I be referring to when I used to words similar comments to your POST. It is always with OTHER POSTERS OPINIONS, unless one specifically cites a member of the media or team.  I'm not expecting Beane or McDermott to join in and be part of our discussion.   

Our back and forth was based on this post by @Rochesterfan

his post was based on league wide world belief that you shouldn’t draft RBs in round one.  I wasn’t discussing random posts on this website…..but the belief that running backs in round one are a no no when building a team.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Our back and forth was based on this post by @Rochesterfan

his post was based on league wide world belief that you shouldn’t draft RBs in round one.  I wasn’t discussing random posts on this website…..but the belief that running backs in round one are a no no when building a team.  

Since he's the one who posted it I took it as his belief & responded to his post, not taking it as he was relaying some league wide belief.  Most people here are posting their own opinions, not stating the beliefs of others.  That's what I'm expecting when I read a post.  

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since he's the one who posted it I took it as his belief & responded to his post, not taking it as he was relaying some league wide belief.  Most people here are posting their own opinions, not stating the beliefs of others.  That's what I'm expecting when I read a post.  

it’s his belief as well as a well known belief among almost anyone that knows about the nfl draft and positional value.  I’m sure you know this.  

99% of this thread is conversation about rb value or lack thereof 

Edited by NewEra

4 hours ago, Yantha said:

You know, this draft is deep at WR and I'd rather see who's available as a potential long term player for the Bills with 4th round WR options.  Interesting idea though.

I think that the FO thinks more about whether a player will help the team win superbowls moreso than thinking about 5th year options.  If a bon afide PLAYMAKER can be added, I think they just go get 'em.

I agree with this view of Beane.   I was very skeptical about him early on but he's proven that he's not only all about building a winning team but really good at it, so I'm good with whomever he takes in the first round although my personal preference would be IOLers Zion Johnson or Tyler Linderbaum if they're available.

As for the fifth year option argument,  I think it's overblown.  With first round draft picks expected to start contributing as rookies, teams generally know what they have in a player well before they have to make a decision on a fifth year option.  

Edited by SoTier
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

it’s his belief as well as a well known belief among almost anyone that knows about the nfl draft and positional value.  I’m sure you know this

If it's such a well known belief, there are a lot of GMs who didn't get notified.  In the last 10 drafts 16 RBs have been selected in the 1st round, 4 in the top 4 of the entire draft.  In the 20s, where the Bills are drafting,  4 have been drafted in the last 4 drafts.  So I guess it's almost anyone but the NFL GMs.  Here's the list:

2021- Harris (24), Etienne (25)

2020- Edwards-Helaire (32)

2019- Jacobs (24)

2018- Barkley (2), Perry (27), Michel (31)

2017- Fournette (4), McCaffrey (8)

2016- Elliott (4)

2015-Gurley (10), Gordon (15)

2013-Paterson (29)

2012-Richardson (3), Martin (31), Wilson (32) 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If it's such a well known belief, there are a lot of GMs who didn't get notified.  In the last 10 drafts 16 RBs have been selected in the 1st round, 4 in the top 4 of the entire draft.  In the 20s, where the Bills are drafting,  4 have been drafted in the last 4 drafts.  So I guess it's almost anyone but the NFL GMs.  Here's the list:

2021- Harris (24), Etienne (25)

2020- Edwards-Helaire (32)

2019- Jacobs (24)

2018- Barkley (2), Perry (27), Michel (31)

2017- Fournette (4), McCaffrey (8)

2016- Elliott (4)

2015-Gurley (10), Gordon (15)

2013-Paterson (29)

2012-Richardson (3), Martin (31), Wilson (32) 

Hmmm..  Seems to be in line with the number of Quarterbacks taken in the first round over the years.  And Safeties.  And Guards?

Edited by Yantha
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1