So...where does this money come from for Von???

Hebert19

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just off the top of my head: we restructured Morse, cut Mongo, cut Williams, restructured Milano, cut AJ Klein, and I’m sure I’m forgetting some more. All that clears cap. 

And suffice to say, if we couldn’t afford it, Beane wouldn’t have done it. 

Re-structured Hyde too.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

4 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It’s just a reminder to chuckle every time a poster whines about the cap and that we NEVER could afford (insert players name here)

As I’ve said before, it’s almost like the people who actually do this for a living have a better understanding of the cap than the fans do! Crazy I know!

• Haha (+1) 1

Hughes, Addison, Beasley, Lotulelei, Breida, Sanders, Klein, Phillips, Trubisky, Feliciano and a surprise or 2?

So we will have to draft a CB, WR, HB and any other holes that open up. I still think Will Dissly, a 265 lb TE would be a great, inexpensive add as a blocking TE for those late season games and big 4th quarter leads. Howard is a decent blocker too. I can't wait to see him healthy. We could be looking at a lot more 2TE formations.

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

Hughes, Addison, Beasley, Lotulelei, Breida, Sanders, Klein, Phillips, Trubisky, Feliciano and a surprise or 2?

So we will have to draft a CB, WR, HB and any other holes that open up. I still think Will Dissly, a 265 lb TE would be a great, inexpensive add as a blocking TE for those late season games and big 4th quarter leads. Howard is a decent blocker too. I can't wait to see him healthy. We could be looking at a lot more 2TE formations.

Dissley is already signed by seattle and for a lot more than an inexpensive add. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

It’s just a reminder to chuckle every time a poster whines about the cap and that we NEVER could afford (insert players name here)

Hard disagree.  I mean we cleared a lot of cap to make this happen.  And as Allens deal kicks in, we are gonna have to make further adjustments and cuts to deal with the cap.  

So to totally dismiss the cap is foolish.  There is always a way to get a deal done, but consequences come.  Look around the league at teams losing good players because they can’t afford them.

You can only kick the cap can so far down the road.  

Im not against this signing by any means, I’m stoked we got him.  I’m saying that cap management and responsibility structuring deals is still important.

The good news is we have a GM who is a master at this and are in good hands.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

They don’t need a blocking TE.  Just put in Doyle as a 3rd OT like they were doing in the later part of this past season.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hard disagree.  I mean we cleared a lot of cap to make this happen.  And as Allens deal kicks in, we are gonna have to make further adjustments and cuts to deal with the cap.  

So to totally dismiss the cap is foolish.  There is always a way to get a deal done, but consequences come.  Look around the league at teams losing good players because they can’t afford them.

Im not against this signing by any means, I’m stoked we got him.  I’m saying that cap management and responsibility structuring deals is still important.

On its face, the 3 year guaranteed commitment to Von likely puts us in a “screw one, marry one, kill one” situation with Knox, Oliver and Edmunds next off-season.  

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Think they are more pointing out the people who always say its unrealistic to speculate on getting a big name player because we can't afford it. This certainly proves that it is not unrealistic. It could have repercussions down the road but as you say, i trust the gm to work that all out.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills had to be cap compliant by 4:00 PM Wednesday, so therefor any move made after they already had the cap space for. All of the extensions, restructures and cuts we saw Beane make contributed to that (Morse, Hyde, Klein, Milano, Williams, Feliciano, etc). The Bills, even after this move, are compliant and still have space left. 

I would imagine that Miller’s contract has a very low cap hit year 1 and probably increases exponentially thereafter. However, from what we know, most of that will be easily voidable after year 2 and even more so after year 4. 

There’s always loopholes in the cap, and Beane is a master of exploiting them which is what really makes him one of the best GM’s in the NFL. 

However, everytime you do an extension/restructure/cut, you are kicking a portion of that money down the road to count against your cap in later years. This move likely didn’t hurt the team’s future too bad with the expected increasing cap space along with the smart moves by Beane, only extending and restructuring players that should still be on the roster through the entire duration of their contracts. 

If they still wanted to be players in free agency/trade market, there’s still players they can extend (Poyer/Diggs/Edmunds), restructure (White/Dawkins) or cut (Beasley) to free up more space.

Bottom line — Beane is phenomenal at his job. Any of us can study and have a base understanding, but ultimately I’d say let our top 5 GM keep doing his job and don’t doubt it. After 5 years, 4 playoff seasons, 1 AFCC appearance and a whole load of potential on the team, I think he’s earned it. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.