Did McDermott's seat just get a little warmer?

Simon

Of course there will be even more pressure with Miller on board (Pun intended). That's part of the job. I think this team and its staff will respond with our best season yet. The real question is, is Dorsey a good playcaller? He should pay Chan to consult on how to set up his plays to catch defenses off guard. Hit 'em where they ain't. OK. I'm half-kidding.

Edited by GreggTX

4 hours ago, Simon said:

I think he arrived in Buffalo as a very good football coach who has continued to get better in his time here.

But Beane just handed him a roster that he HAS to win a Super Bowl with at some point.

Did that hypothetical point just get a bit closer to the present?

I hope so!  

McDermott is going to have to get it done, at some point...or he'll be gone.

If he DOES get it done, he might be here for the next 15 years.

5 hours ago, Simon said:

I think it will too, but if things get Billsy again in another playoff game that ends our season.....?

Those last 3 plays with 13 seconds were 100% coaching. Whether you want to blame McD or other assistants, I don't care. He cannot afford another playoff brain fart. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Drama drama drama!!!!

Bills fans are impatient for a super bowl win and rightfully so, but sometimes its to their detriment. Addition by subtraction is not going to solve the no super bowl problem. Beane is building a roster to fit McDermotts style, changing it out bc he didn't win quick enough is a step back.

And even if it isnt then how do we know we dont get another Marrone? To me the only way you subtract McDermott is for an arguably better coach that has won multiple super bowls. Who is that in the last 20 years? Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin?

Edited by What a Tuel

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Like in his first season in Buffalo... where he took the Bills to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor at QB?

Speaking of playoffs...like the absence thereof for Buffalo since 1999...

Yet, under McD the Bills have been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 seasons.

It took Andy Reid 7 years to reach a super bowl with the Chiefs.

So, lets whine about something else...

Patience of a saint. 

Glad you’re satisfied 👍

7 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'll add also that what they're doing in free agency is a sign of good coaching. They know their schedule is more difficult this upcoming season, and they're pre paring for it. I said in another thread that alot of coaches would be happy with what the bills defense did last year, this coaching staff is forward thinking and is why I believe they will win a superbowl at some point in the future 

I assure you, the moves they’re making are not because the 22-23 schedule is more difficult. 

These acquisitions are not the moves of forward thinkers. These are “now” moves.

It’s time. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

It took Andy Reid 20 years to win a SB and we only give McDermott 5? That's some lofty expectations there.

Though we don’t have 20 years. I can’t see Josh following Brady, playing into his 40s, and top QBs can be hard to come by - see our wilderness years between Kelly and Allen.

The signing of Von Miller feels like the first sign of going all in on this year or maybe next. Future moves in FA and trade will determine how much we’re willing to bet the farm of following in the Rams’ footsteps, knowing we’ll have to follow it with mathematical gymnastics regarding the cap. McDermott’s seat will get warm off the back of it, but only if it’s clearly a long term coaching problem which is clearly holding us back - if we stack up a load of injuries and/or Josh regresses (though that result in pressure on Dorsey and/or Joe Brady) and/or Miller clearly isn’t the player he was so our defense isn’t as sound then he’ll be fine. If there are obvious coaching issues, bearing in mind to this day we do not know for sure whether 13 seconds was a coaching or execution blunder, then obviously the seat will get hot.

10 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

The goal is a championship.

He has the best QB in the league and more troops are dropping in from the sky as we speak, thanks to Beane.

I've said previously: If McDermott cannot lead us to the SB this upcoming season, I'm considering a change at HC. 

Nice one, Terry 👍 

10 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

If he squanders another game like he did in KC it will warm rather fast 

yes.  the KC game is on him.  failing to get the message to the kicker to short kick it was inexcusable .  crap like that happens again and things will heat up fast

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

That 17 year drought made some fans really impatient. 4 yrs with playoffs under McDermott, one afc championship game, and some fans think this team HAS to win a supowbowl this year. Sadly that's not how it works. There's tons of examples of great coaches/players who should've won superbowls that didn't, or it took them a long time. 

This exactly.

Since the Kansas City game ended, there have been endless posts/comments about this year being the Bills "championship window" and they absolutely MUST win the Super Bowl in 2022 or it's pretty much time to clean house.  I've even some posters who claim our window already closed the day Josh Allen signed his extension (because teams only win championships while guys are on their rookie contracts).

Don't forget how long it took Sean McDermott's mentor (Andy Reid) to finally win the big one.

Reid was an NFL coach for 21 seasons before winning the Super Bowl.  His teams with the Eagles/Chiefs had gone to the playoffs 15 times, made it to the conference championship 7 times and to the Super Bowl 3 times.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes and anybody that thinks otherwise is in a state of denial.

Allen has shown who he is.

Beane has also risen to the occasion and made a somewhat out of character move to get this team over the top.

It's now time for McDermott (and Frazier) to seal the deal and if he can't get him the hell out of here ASAP and find someone that will.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.