Bills sign OJ Howard to 1-year deal

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s an athletic freak, but grossly under used in TB.  He had Cameron Brate there who is also a very good TE and also Gronk the last 2 years.  Then you have all the receivers and RBs catching passes.  Just not enough balls to go around.  

He is big and very fast, he will be a matchup nightmare with Knox and him running the seams 

Thanks

1) how's his blocking?

2) some people saying he didn't come back well from his Achilles?

6 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I think we'll be seeing a lot of 12 and 13 personnel. I could see Dorsey running a more balanced scheme, with a lot of play action concepts. I'm all for it. Buffalo started playing their best ball when they committed to a running game in the 2nd half of the Tampa Bay game. 

Yup, force teams to play the box too, as opposed to just sitting on the mid/deep.  Being dangerous at all levels keeps the D honest.  We saw a nice improvement in knoxs’ blocking last season, hopefully it continues.  

We really might be unstoppable…..as long as our OL is good enough.  It’s going to be the key to the season, again. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup, force teams to play the box too, as opposed to just sitting on the mid/deep.  Being dangerous at all levels keeps the D honest.  We saw a nice improvement in knoxs’ blocking last season, hopefully it continues.  

We really might be unstoppable…..as long as our OL is good enough.  It’s going to be the key to the season, again. 

And the Saffold signing. He's a very strong run blocker. I feel like they're gearing up for a more power based scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1

As long as Knox can stay healthy, this is all upside in my eyes!

He's not being asked to be the #1 guy, he's not being paid a ton, and he's got 1 year to earn a new contract. So even if his track record suggests he's likely to get injured again, the Bills will get his best for at least some time. 

Knox will still be here, Diggs will still be here, Davis will still be here, etc. & if OJ's around for the playoffs, it's just one more redzone threat.

• Like (+1) 2

Knox and Howard has to be one of the most athletic TE pairings in the league.

The Bills can now operate out of 12 personnel and not be predictable — as opposed to last year when Tommy Doyle’s presence tipped the run.

Knox and Howard up the seams with Diggs and Davis on the outside is gonna be tough for defenses. Both TEs are “too fast for an LB, too big for a safety” guys.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I think Howard is gonna ball out and earn himself a big payday in 2023.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Why are a bunch of fans happy to bring in a guy who can't stay healthy, has been largely a bust and looks washed after a dreaded Achilles tear in 2020?

What you saw last year is post Achiles OJ Howard. 3.5 million for 140 yards and 1 TD?

Could have all but locked up Bates for the same money (2nd round tender is 3.8 million)

I don't get it

D Williams came on with us his second year removed from injury on a prove it type contract. This looks to be a similar approach. Not a bad idea, especially if it pays off. I can’t imagine the Bills don’t have a some insight on the injury. We’ll see I guess. 

I've wanted OJ Howard since 2017 and I'm still pretty happy with even possibly broken OJ Howard. Averaged over 15 ypc his first two seasons, had unreal athleticism at one point, hopefully still does. Think it's safe to say this is an obvious Sweeney upgrade, as much as we love you Tommy.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks

1) how's his blocking?

2) some people saying he didn't come back well from his Achilles?

Hes been a good blocker from what I have known.  As far as the Achilles goes, it can take a full season to truly rebound from that, so I’m not too worried about it at this point, I expect him to be back to near he was this year.  

It's going to be all about the Achillies but he's actually averaged nearly 15 yards per catch his career. That's insane for a TE. Like a deep threat TE? Kelce who's your A+ TE who does WR things averages about 12.5 ypc, nobody else really comes close at the position. Most TE's are sub-10.  I'm assuming this is a bit of a dice roll - kind of hoping for a special weapon for a special QB.

They said he was the most complete tight end prospect in a decade when he was drafted at #18. Hasn't shown it yet, but just maybe Buffalo and Josh Allen will be the key to unlocking all that talent.

250lbs and faster than Singletary, Moss, Davis,(much faster than McKissic😂) and almost as fast as Beasley. He and Knox down the middle will be matchup nightmares and keep safeties occupied.

21 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I've wanted OJ Howard since 2017 and I'm still pretty happy with even possibly broken OJ Howard. Averaged over 15 ypc his first two seasons, had unreal athleticism at one point, hopefully still does. Think it's safe to say this is an obvious Sweeney upgrade, as much as we love you Tommy.

Bruce Arians famously underuses tight ends in the passing game (with the exception of Gronk the past couple seasons, which I view as more Brady’s influence than Arians’).

Assuming he’s healthy, I like his chances to have a big year and earn a big payday in 2023 (likely elsewhere, as we’ll need to pay Knox).

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

They said he was the most complete tight end prospect in a decade when he was drafted at #18. Hasn't shown it yet, but just maybe Buffalo and Josh Allen will be the key to unlocking all that talent.

250lbs and faster than Singletary, Moss, Davis,(much faster than McKissic😂) and almost as fast as Beasley. He and Knox down the middle will be matchup nightmares and keep safeties occupied.

You can't count his pre-draft measurables anymore since he's torn his achilles, he may not be faster than any of those guys, who knows. Nobody returns to 100% of their prior athleticism, but that doesn't mean he still can't be good. Crabtree had some solid seasons after he tore his, though he wasn't as explosive as before it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, 947 said:

You can't count his pre-draft measurables anymore since he's torn his achilles, he may not be faster than any of those guys, who knows. Nobody returns to 100% of their prior athleticism, but that doesn't mean he still can't be good. Crabtree had some solid seasons after he tore his, though he wasn't as explosive as before it.

Agreed

I've no idea how fast he is now.

I think he definitely improves the te group and possibly by a lot. We 'll see, I have a good feeling this works out really well.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Maybe they had planned on signing (rb2) mckissic and drafting (te2) Trey McBride 25 overall.  When they lost mckissic they pivoted to paying Oj that 3.5 and drafting Breece Hall 25 overall.  Maybe…. @Solomon Grundy

I would totally take Breece Hall at 25. I’d go Kyler Gordon with the 2nd round and a 3rd round WR like a WanDale Robinson. But that is just me. 

13 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Reminds of Kelly driving into town in the limo when he signed.

Kent Hull was just signed and in the limo with him. Kent (also a USFL casualty) rode in the back of a van to from airport to OBD, quietly seeing the streets lined with Kelly fans.

Kent came the same day as Kelly (another EX-USFL guy) but rode in a van behind Kelly’s limo, seeing the streets lined with fans

12 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

If he can become anything close to what he was supposed to be.......

I’ll finish this for you …he can make 13 Second Prevent Defense unnecessary.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup but I'm greedy. Draft Jameson in the 1st and the best available CB in the 2nd.  No excuses boys and girls. The Pegulas have set everything up.

Given that the NFL’s reigning #1 Defense just super-sized its front line players with 3 new studs, I don’t see DL even being addressed in the Draft, let alone Round 1. I think CB and 5 years on a rookie deal is the focus.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.