Bills sign OJ Howard to 1-year deal

YoloinOhio

Yes, he was a great prospect, but has the ability to be an excellent player.  Some people on the board have never spent much time watching him actually play.  I have as I live here in Tampa.

A lot of guys come back from Achilles.  He was pushed down the chart as they had Evans, Godwin, Scotty Miller and Gronknwas always going to be Brady’s #1 target, and Brate while Howard was hurt established himself.

It wasn’t that he sucked, but is now with a better QB, not as many stud TE’s and we may need to develop one of our WR’s post draft as I expect we pick up someone.  He’ll be TE #2 here.  

We are fine.  He may not be the second coming of Gonzalez in the HOF, but doesn’t mean he will be better than Sweeney.  I’ve seen every play of his in the NFL, and many in Alabama as they are always on down here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

Great prospect, not a great player.

Post torn Achilles and with his production we would be lucky to get Charles Clay out of OJ Howard

He is a Bil now, so I hope he proves me wrong.

Charles Clay may have been overpaid he wasn't a bad football player

He led our team with catches and touchdowns one year... Was second in catches another year 

We just overpaid for an above average player 

And Howard is being asked to be a number two tight end... And sometimes it takes multiple years to come back to full strength 

We don't need a superstar

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Charles Clay may have been overpaid he wasn't a bad football player

He led our team with catches and touchdowns one year... Was second in catches another year 

We just overpaid for an above average player 

And Howard is being asked to be a number two tight end... And sometimes it takes multiple years to come back to full strength 

We don't need a superstar

Yup, I'm not all that concerned with the injury. I think he will be just fine and ready for TC. Even if he ends up being just average then it's still quite a bit better than the disaster we saw from Sweeney.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yup, I'm not all that concerned with the injury. I think he will be just fine and ready for TC. Even if he ends up being just average then it's still quite a bit better than the disaster we saw from Sweeney.

Exactly 

No offense to Tommy but our number two tight end was a dumpster fire 

Were Getting a legitimate NFL tight end... Not a project

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly 

Pretty sure we’ll be drafting one early day 3 as they had at least 3 in for visits

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, OJ Howard is a one year deal and they might not be sure they can keep Knox (which I would hate after developing him.) 

I think it was actually Travis Kelce's academy for TE's which Knox graduated with honors I might add that developed him. 😉

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I think it was actually Travis Kelce's academy for TE's which Knox graduated with honors I might add that developed him. 😉

Perhaps the better phrase is "invested in Knox" lord knows he had his struggles :)

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, OJ Howard is a one year deal and they might not be sure they can keep Knox (which I would hate after developing him.) 

If he's playing same way he did past season (which I don't see why he wouldn't), becoming one of the top TEs, then I think they make sure he stays. 

2 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

If he's playing same way he did past season (which I don't see why he wouldn't), becoming one of the top TEs, then I think they make sure he stays. 

Ask Josh  haha
But yes , I agree he has shown last season what they hoped he might become when they scored him.
I am a fan for sure

Lets hope OJ can be better than serviceable !

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Ask Josh  haha
But yes , I agree he has shown last season what they hoped he might become when they scored him.
I am a fan for sure

Yup, was a very big improvement from him. Just have to be consistent and carry over next season, which I believe he will.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly 

Agree.  Hopes were high, but when he got his opportunities, he couldn't do the things I thought he could do much less the things where we all thought he needed to improve.

One certainly can't blame him, but his struggles certainly contributed to the Jax loss where he got 87% of the offensive snaps, and it was notable that the run game improved when the Bills started making him inactive (week 14 on) and giving Tommy Doyle some snaps as a 6th OL.

TE was a huge weakness behind Knox.

5 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Pretty sure we’ll be drafting one early day 3 as they had at least 3 in for visits

I think so too, and that seems justified given that OJ Howard has had his struggles with injuries and right now our TE room is Knox and a cliff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, TBBills said:

nc_animal_house_ll_130725_16x9_1600.jpg

Correct,  Tight End University.   Sometimes referred to as "College".    I think Dawson is the one in the blue jacket.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.