Bills sign OJ Howard to 1-year deal

YoloinOhio

On 3/18/2022 at 2:37 PM, GunnerBill said:

I just don't know how anyone can be sure that Ryan Bates is the answer to anything. He played reasonably well down the stretch, but 6 games is too small of a sample size to go bigger that the Bills did on the tender. Now if you want to argue that they should I have done more at guard in free agency I am right there with you. A meh 34 year old who struggles in pass pro wasn't what I was hoping for. That said, I like OJ Howard as a low risk pickup. 

Well I can tell you I would rather see Bates than Ford as a starting OG blocking for JA. I can tell you he was a starting OG in one of the most explosive offenses I've witnessed in 35 years of watching NFL football.

Watch Singletary's performance versus the Pats playoff game against a solid defense. Singletary's first TD was between G/T, and it was Bates who stacked his man up. On the second Singletary TD, McKenzie was in motion to block, and Bates pulled from LG to the point of attack. It was a classic Alabama pulling play. It was Bates who executed the pull play and helped free Singletary for a @20 yd TD run. Those pulling plays were not executed or even tried with Feliciano/Boettger/Ford.

I think we agree IOL has been sorely overlooked in this $170 million dollar FA shopping spree. If anything, after Von Miller I am looking for OL/ CB help the most. Both of those positions were once again neglected for help on the DL. I hope Buffalo has enough OL to keep JA healthy, and our backs running. Even with Bates I would want more OL investment. If he does leave it looks bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Well I can tell you I would rather see Bates than Ford as a starting OG blocking for JA. I can tell you he was a starting OG in one of the most explosive offenses I've witnessed in 35 years of watching NFL football.

Watch Singletary's performance versus the Pats playoff game against a solid defense. Singletary's first TD was between G/T, and it was Bates who stacked his man up. On the second Singletary TD, McKenzie was in motion to block, and Bates pulled from LG to the point of attack. It was a classic Alabama pulling play. It was Bates who executed the pull play and helped free Singletary for a @20 yd TD run. Those pulling plays were not executed or even tried with Feliciano/Boettger/Ford.

I think we agree IOL has been sorely overlooked in this $170 million dollar FA shopping spree. If anything, after Von Miller I am looking for OL/ CB help the most. Both of those positions were once again neglected for help on the DL. I hope Buffalo has enough OL to keep JA healthy, and our backs running. Even with Bates I would want more OL investment. If he does leave it looks bad.

I hear that but I think the Colts game really gave them a huge reality check. The Dline needed a pretty good makeover.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I hear that but I think the Colts game really gave them a huge reality check. The Dline needed a pretty good makeover.

it did, but because of prior DL FA misadventures and failures in the draft. IMO at some point that blind spot needs a different set of eyes or coaching to fix it. Spending so much FA money on DL and premium (1st an 2nd round) draft picks on the same unit, over and over again, may point to an organizational weakness.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 9:37 PM, CNY315 said:

Clearly got some crazy in him. I like it lol

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Love it! Looks like he's excited to be a Buffalo Bill. Hope he can resurrect his career here and fully reach his pre-draft potential...i.e. "be the best version of himself"

• Awesome! (+1) 2

On 3/17/2022 at 7:08 PM, RocCityRoller said:

It's not just a change of scenery. He has a busted Achilles. That doesn't change whether he is in TB, Buffalo, Berlin or Madrid.

His best year prior to injury was on par with Clay in his best year here.

You would honestly rather spend 3.5 million on Howard than putting in a poison pill contract with Bates ($3.9 million)??

Really?

So at the end of the day.....Beane knew what he was doing

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

Love this signing. Howard was more highly rated than Knox coming out of college and the difference between his QB in Miami & his QB in Buffalo is like night and day. He should flourish here.

You mean his QB in Tampa Bay - Good old Brady himself - the master of the TE?

I think the difference is Brady uses Gronk to the detriment of others - hopefully he can be healthy and play well here.

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Love this signing. Howard was more highly rated than Knox coming out of college and the difference between his QB in Miami & his QB in Buffalo is like night and day. He should flourish here.

He didn't play in Miami

He played in TB with Winston, Fitz and Brady

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You mean his QB in Tampa Bay - Good old Brady himself - the master of the TE?

I think the difference is Brady uses Gronk to the detriment of others - hopefully he can be healthy and play well here.

Oh yeah! Why was I thinking Miami. Still as soon as Gronk came in he, didn't get many opportunities....the kid was pushed aside.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He didn't play in Miami

He played in TB with Winston, Fitz and Brady

Yep, brain fart.

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Oh yeah! Why was I thinking Miami. Still as soon as Gronk came in he, didn't get many opportunities....the kid was pushed aside.

Yep, brain fart.

He still has tons of talent

He was one of my favorite prospects in his entire class... We struggled at tight end for years here

We now have two kids who are better than anybody we've had in the last 20

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He still has tons of talent

He was one of my favorite prospects in his entire class... We struggled at tight end for years here

We now have two kids who are better than anybody we've had in the last 20

Great prospect, not a great player.

Post torn Achilles and with his production we would be lucky to get Charles Clay out of OJ Howard

He is a Bil now, so I hope he proves me wrong.

16 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Great prospect, not a great player.

Post torn Achilles and with his production we would be lucky to get Charles Clay out of OJ Howard

He is a Bil now, so I hope he proves me wrong.

He's an upgrade over Sweeney and that's what was needed. So I'll take it....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.