Bills sign OJ Howard to 1-year deal

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Your basically getting a high floor lottery

ticket here it would not be the first time a change of scenery helped a high potential guy bust out

That said we have Knox 

It's not just a change of scenery. He has a busted Achilles. That doesn't change whether he is in TB, Buffalo, Berlin or Madrid.

His best year prior to injury was on par with Clay in his best year here.

You would honestly rather spend 3.5 million on Howard than putting in a poison pill contract with Bates ($3.9 million)??

Really?

Many mention his injured Achilles which he suffered in Week 4 of the 2020 season, on October 4, 2020.

From browsing online most NFL players will recover their "explosive movements" in 9-12 months. Of course this varies between individuals but it means that Howard possibly regained full physical capabilities around Week 4 of last season.

In the games before his injury he averaged 15.3 yards per reception.

In the games after his injury he averaged 9.6 yards per reception.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

It's not just a change of scenery. He has a busted Achilles. That doesn't change whether he is in TB, Buffalo, Berlin or Madrid.

You would honestly rather spend 3.5 million on Howard than putting in a poison pill contract with Bates ($3.9 million)??

Really?

Frankly I don’t see what has to do with Howard and Bates whatsoever the two are not related to me

Edited by John from Riverside

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Frankly I don’t see what has to do with Howard and Bates whatsoever the two are not related to me

I see it as a zero sum game with a hard cap, since Buffalo is right against the cap, even with cuts and restructures.

Buffalo could have put a 2nd round tender on Bates for $3.9 million. (They chose a $2.4M ROFR instead) If Buffalo spent the extra $1.5M to put a second round tender on Bates and another team offered Bates more than $3.9M, and Buffalo refused to/ could not match then Buffalo would get that teams 2nd round pick.

Let's say a team thinks Bates is worth 2/$8M. On the current Right of First Refusal (ROFR), Buffalo has to match in 10 days. If they don't/or can't Bates goes elsewhere and Buffalo gets nothing. With a 2nd round tender ($1.5M more) if a team offers Bates 2/$8M and Buffalo refuses, Buffalo gets that team's 2nd rounder. It keeps teams from offering Bates 2/$8M because of the pick loss.

Instead Buffalo cheaped out and played Russian Roulette with a $2.4 million ROFR offer. If a team offers Bates more than $2.4M in yr one Buffalo can match it or lose Bates with 0 compensation.

Instead of signing Howard to a $3.5 million dollar contract, they could have spent $1.5 million of that money to all but assure Bates stayed put or at least got a 2nd round pick if Bates signed elsewhere, and been $2M better off against the cap. One can find a decent TE 2 in rounds 3-5 of the draft.

Keeping a strong OL in front of my franchise seems more important to me than taking a risk on a banged up TE2, and the Bills would be in a better cap situation. Even if Bates returns, they need to find another $2.4M under the cap now since they signed Howard for $3.5M

Buffalo is at the point every $1M counts, and wasting $3.5M on Howard is silly, when $1.5M more could have secured a starting OG, or netted a 2nd instead and saved $2M against the cap.

That's how I see it. Other people disagree.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Should have been a 2 year deal

Yeah, but from his perspective he's hoping to put up big numbers in one season with a star qb and get a big payday. 

It reminds me a lot of the first contract that the Bills gave Daryl Williams. Low risk, high reward prove-it deal. Hopefully we can find a wr to agree to a similar deal.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

15 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Really?

Word is Howard was enamored by our training and rehab facilities. Best in the league. I think he will rehab strong and be a force.

13 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I see it as a zero sum game with a hard cap, since Buffalo is right against the cap, even with cuts and restructures.

Buffalo could have put a 2nd round tender on Bates for $3.9 million. (They chose a $2.4M ROFR instead) If Buffalo spent the extra $1.5M to put a second round tender on Bates and another team offered Bates more than $3.9M, and Buffalo refused to/ could not match then Buffalo would get that teams 2nd round pick.

Let's say a team thinks Bates is worth 2/$8M. On the current Right of First Refusal (ROFR), Buffalo has to match in 10 days. If they don't/or can't Bates goes elsewhere and Buffalo gets nothing. With a 2nd round tender ($1.5M more) if a team offers Bates 2/$8M and Buffalo refuses, Buffalo gets that team's 2nd rounder. It keeps teams from offering Bates 2/$8M because of the pick loss.

Instead Buffalo cheaped out and played Russian Roulette with a $2.4 million ROFR offer. If a team offers Bates more than $2.4M in yr one Buffalo can match it or lose Bates with 0 compensation.

Instead of signing Howard to a $3.5 million dollar contract, they could have spent $1.5 million of that money to all but assure Bates stayed put or at least got a 2nd round pick if Bates signed elsewhere, and been $2M better off against the cap. One can find a decent TE 2 in rounds 3-5 of the draft.

Keeping a strong OL in front of my franchise seems more important to me than taking a risk on a banged up TE2, and the Bills would be in a better cap situation. Even if Bates returns, they need to find another $2.4M under the cap now since they signed Howard for $3.5M

Buffalo is at the point every $1M counts, and wasting $3.5M on Howard is silly, when $1.5M more could have secured a starting OG, or netted a 2nd instead and saved $2M against the cap.

That's how I see it. Other people disagree.

I just don't know how anyone can be sure that Ryan Bates is the answer to anything. He played reasonably well down the stretch, but 6 games is too small of a sample size to go bigger that the Bills did on the tender. Now if you want to argue that they should I have done more at guard in free agency I am right there with you. A meh 34 year old who struggles in pass pro wasn't what I was hoping for. That said, I like OJ Howard as a low risk pickup. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I keep going back to his first two years in TB.  Sixty total receptions averaging 16.6 yards per reception and 11 touchdowns.  I realize it's an achilles but even if he is 90% back, he can present a nightmare downfield matchup plus an end zone target.  It's a gamble but it's a great risk-reward gamble.  

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Lol look at the 23 Trigger 

weird because there is no void year. So is that the normal day contracts expire??  Or are Bills letting him hit the market early??

I looked up void years because I was curios if that meant they had anything to work with if he does work out, and I guess that's how they're designed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.