Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s ironic because the one thing Beane consults with Overdorf on is the salary cap and how various contractual structures might impact the management of it currently and down the road. 

People don’t want to hear it or believe it’s true (probably because of his long tenure in managing Mr. Wilson’s cash to cap accounting system since the cap was implemented in the early nineties) but Jim Overdorf has a great reputation as a cap guru around the league. 

To my point, Overdorf is now consulted, whereas in the past he's run unsupervised. Today, Beane makes the call, Beane is the cap boss.

I'll have to take your word that Overdorf has a great reputation. I have nothing to support nor deny such an assertion.

38 minutes ago, Rico said:

Bruce Smith was hurt in 1991 and only played 5 games in the regular season. :doh:

Can you imagine not being able to make this move because we overpayed for JJ Watt last year? THANK GOD that didn’t happen.

You are right, meant 93. My bad

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

See above. 1996 and 1997 were his most dominant seasons according to advanced stats. It's not even really all that close, especially re: 1996 (he was DPOY of the year that season and simply unblockable). He was a far more complete player from 1995-1997 and in much better shape. Don't measure his productivity just by the sack numbers. 

Football is not math. 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think there are two different things going on.   One is strict evaluation of the cap, what moves are available to create space, etc, etc.  I've heard over and over that Overdorf is great at that.  However, I think in the past, Overdorf had authority to approve or kill deals - if you were the GM and wanted to do something, you needed Overdorf's okay.   

I think what's happened since Beane arrived is that Overdorf crunches all the numbers, talks about strategies, but Beane decides what cap risks he's going to take.   And I think Beane challenges Overdorf to "find a way."  I mean, it had to be the case over the past couple of days that Beane was asking Overdorf "how can we do this?"   So, Overdorf is still important, but I have the sense that he doesn't have the more or less complete control over the process that he used to have.  

Up until about a year ago, Jim was the chief contract negotiator as well as cap guru. Since then, he has been strictly a consultant for Beane and his area of expertise is still the cap. I’d lay dollars to donuts that Overdorf has his hands all over the recent re-structures to create the room for the new additions as well as the constructs of those new contracts. Makes sense given his familiarity with the numbers. 

Pre Pegulas, authority to approve or kill deals rested with Mr. Wilson and Jeff Littman. Overdorf had no say on approval one way or the other and never did. And while he was leaned on more by Pegula, Brandon, Whaley after the ownership change, he never had complete control then, either. Not even a vote. Just his opinion and expertise in fitting desired contracts into the cap current and future cap structure. Same thing since Beane took over as GM. 

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But then as he got older, he kept shedding weight and turned into something like a fighting robot designed by a mad scientist

Yep. Smith was a teletubby his first couple years, then he transformed into a beast.

Also, not known to many, Smith became an astute student of game film. On his own time, he studied his upcoming opponents--then he shredded them. He wasn't great by accident. He earned it. Von Miller is on track to be the same.

3 minutes ago, boater said:

To my point, Overdorf is now consulted, whereas in the past he's run unsupervised. Today, Beane makes the call, Beane is the cap boss.

I'll have to take your word that Overdorf has a great reputation. I have nothing to support nor deny such an assertion.

Per my response to Shaw66, Jim never had unsupervised control of anything. Others have always made the call in terms of contract approval or not. 

As GM, Beane is indeed the boss of everything as it applies to player contracts. Including the cap. But Overdorf is still the guy he goes to in order to make it work both now and several years down the road. 

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

After reading this the 2 names that immediately came to mind for me when i thought of mercenary pass rushers that did it forever were Doleman and Greene. Looked them up. Sure enough they're also perfect examples of instant pass rush for any team they went to late in their careers....

Chris Doleman ages 33-38... 7, 9, 11, 12, 15, 8.... for 3 different squads

Kevin Greene ages 33-37... 9, 14, 10, 15, 12... 4 different stints.

There might be other examples beyond that but those were the first 2 that immediately came to my mind. 

Plus Bruce and Reggie were very productive at age 38 also. High end hall of fame performers are a unique breed for a reason. It’s a mixture of genetics, talent. regimens, and training staff. I think Von has some really good football in him, especially if he doesn’t have to be on a 85-90% snap count like all those guys above were. 

30 minutes ago, boater said:

Yep. Smith was a teletubby his first couple years, then he transformed into a beast.

Also, not known to many, Smith became an astute student of game film. On his own time, he studied his upcoming opponents--then he shredded them. He wasn't great by accident. He earned it. Von Miller is on track to be the same.

To be more specific, a Stairmaster slaying beast! 

That led to a QB slaying beast! Chubby kid turned into one of the very best ever. Too bad Dareus and some others lacked that level of character, but character often defines us more than innate talent. 

Wow! All these changes they are making.. It's because they want to win isn't it? :) GO BILLS!!!!!!

On 3/16/2022 at 6:44 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is a guy who can get us the play we need in the big game!!

When you say big game, you mean the superbowl right? :)

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

After reading this the 2 names that immediately came to mind for me when i thought of mercenary pass rushers that did it forever were Doleman and Greene. Looked them up. Sure enough they're also perfect examples of instant pass rush for any team they went to late in their careers....

Chris Doleman ages 33-38... 7, 9, 11, 12, 15, 8.... for 3 different squads

Kevin Greene ages 33-37... 9, 14, 10, 15, 12... 4 different stints.

There might be other examples beyond that but those were the first 2 that immediately came to my mind. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm sorry, I have just jumped back into this thread, and I haven't seen exactly what you're discussing, but I'm guessing it's how good can Miller be late in his career.   Your post caught my eye, because I remember it exactly as you say.  In fact, in the Super Bowl years, I used to think that Bruce was overhyped - he'd make a spectacular play here and there, but I never thought of him as a game wrecker.   Maybe it was just because he was double teamed and I wasn't paying attention.  

But then as he got older, he kept shedding weight and turned into something like a fighting robot designed by a mad scientist - all arms and legs and muscle and amazing quickness.  Those last few years he was unstoppable - in fact, Miller looked like him in some of the the videos: lining up out wide, so he could get off the line and take two steps before any contact, then just bursting one way or the other with the offensive tackle desperately trying to get hands and body weight on him before he blew by.  

I'm one who saw Miller had signed and worried immediately that he was too old, but Bruce is the obvious example of how a guy who plays with that style can actually improve.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miller has become project #1 for the training staff.  How do we get him at optimum weight and strength.   And Smith is around OBD, and I'm sure they will sit down and share stories -  I mean these are two of the great pass rushers in the history of the game, and they'll talk about their craft at a level that most of us wouldn't even understand.  

There's a lot of reason to believe that Miller can be a transformative player on the defense for 2-3 years, and maybe 4 or 5.  

Go ahead and peep my above post. And those were just 2 off the very top of my head. There’s a handful of examples I’m sure. 

EDIT: here’s another. Ricky Jackson’s sack totals from 33-37 years of age…. 11.5, 13, 11.5, 3, 9.5

Edited by Stank_Nasty

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm intrigued by Howard..........he was a big play TE at Alabama and flashed that in his first couple years.........now we gotta' see what he can do but the upside is big.

He has suffered some injuries in the NFL. If healthy, OJ is big, fast, has good hands and is a fairly good blocker. 

Oh.....I left out the fact that he comes up HUGE in the clutch. As I said in another thread, a healthy OJ Howard (with Josh Allen throwing to him) is going to win football games for the Buffalo Bills.

Now, can we please get OL help and another high quality wide receiver!?!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

He has suffered some injuries in the NFL. If healthy, OJ is big, fast, has good hands and is a fairly good blocker. 

Oh.....I left out the fact that he comes up HUGE in the clutch. As I said in another thread, a healthy OJ Howard (with Josh Allen throwing to him) is going to win football games for the Buffalo Bills.

Now, can we please get OL help and another high quality wide receiver!?!

Also the OJ jokes practically write themselves.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.