Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

4 hours ago, ALF said:

$13.5M  cap space now , I don't know how Beane did it

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Currently showing $18.9M, but that's without Miller, Daquan Jones, Saffold, Howard, and BigJ9797 Phillips if it's true he and the Bills re-signed.

Easy peasy.  Cut Beasley, Williams, and Feliciano.  Extend Morse to give him more $$ but less cap.  Restructure Hyde and Milano to convert most of their 2022 salary to roster bonus.  Let Harrison Phillips and Wallace walk.  Don't tender Zim and limit Bates to a "1st refusal" tender.  (Did I miss anything?)

There ya go!

I'll be honest, I didn't think it could be done without extending Diggs and Edmunds, but that's why I'm not an NFL GM

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't read all 53 pages of this thread, so maybe the topic has been covered, but as a Bills fan who has lived in Denver since before Von was drafted, I wanted to mention some local anecdotes that indicate what a special athlete Von is (hopefully not was). Repeatedly over the years, local sports talk people have related being at practice when Von was "on" and how he was at least a level above anyone else on the field. Orlando Franklin, an all-decade Broncos right tackle recounted a training camp incident where near the end of practice, a running back took a shot at Von which Von considered cheap. This fired Von up and terrified Orlando who was lined up against Von. For the remaining few plays of practice, Von destroyed Orlando and wrecked the offense. Despite being an above average NFL starter, Orlando was powerless against him.

As far as baseline talent think Bruce Smith.  

• Like (+1) 5

Watched a video of Bruce and Von watching film together last night. He has a ton of respect for Bruce, I wonder if that played a small factor in choosing Buffalo. 

Regardless, it’s a fun watch on YouTube for those interested. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Of course the Bills are SB Caliber.  I’m sorry the D never should give up that many yards in less than 13 seconds..  I mean I was ticked when the Pats D gave up a FG with 30 seconds left and 2 time outs to dallas.  It just shouldn’t happen.. 

you're missing the point. it was an anomalous event.... a freak, generational type happening is what kept them from moving on.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I gotta admit, the locker room leadership stuff does excite me.

Showing my age... I remember when we signed Phil Villipiano - when he was past his prime - to help build a winning culture.

1 hour ago, BRH said:

And Isaiah Robertson!  I loved both those guys.

You guys reminded me to dig thru the boxes in the garage for that Bills #40 Miller jersey.

front.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

Maddy Glab  said it best , Beane said hold my beer 😄 , he made the salary cap somehow work. The man really is a wizard.

Thankfully, gone are the days when the unimaginative Jim Overdorf was delegated the task of running the salary cap. Beane is much better at it.

Whaley and other GM's just let Overdorf run the contracts show without supervision it seems.

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

His best season was 1990, but who’s counting.

Not according to advanced stats. His 1996 season was one of the greatest ever by a defensive end. He was far more complete a player that season than in 1990, when he was just a sack machine but pretty so-so vs. the run. He had a ridiculous number of pressures in 1996 -- setting the NFL record, IIRC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

you're missing the point. it was an anomalous event.... a freak, generational type happening is what kept them from moving on.

It was a collasal failure on the Bills coaching staff. Let's call it what it was. No need to sugar coat it. Facts are facts. The Bills have to move on and hopefully they learned from it. The scar will always be there for many of us. Just like the Tennesse miracle. It's in the NFL history books. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It was a collasal failure on the Bills coaching staff. Let's call it what it was. No need to sugar coat it. Facts are facts. The Bills have to move on and hopefully they learned from it. The scar will always be there for many of us. Just like the Tennesse miracle. It's in the NFL history books. 

right but my original point to the pats fan was we didnt need Miller to get us over the hump. The roster was already there. I think thats pretty clear. Him saying he doesnt even think Miller gets us over the edge is silly, when it quite literally took a freak occurrence to end the season 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

You are correct, never should have....but they did what coaches told them and everything else is history. Not much you can do then, I guess one of the D players possibly could have spoke up maybe and questioned the play calls? 

Point is it really doesn’t matter.. the bills had the potential last year but failed get over the hump.. this year with Von Miller and IMO a bigger addition will be the returning of Tre White They just might this year. 

The Bills are in the WIN NOW mode.. enjoy it. It may last 1 yr or may last 20 years.

58 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

As I said, my point was no matter the reason they didn’t get over the hump. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.