Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

Von Miller heard the Bills were in the market for a defensive GAME WRECKER.

Now, we have said GAME WRECKERS on both sides of the ball. 

Now, THE FEAR has arrived in the offices of Bills' opponents.

P.S. Nice that his name is one letter off of the original Voice of the Bills: The VAN.

35 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

I’m sorry if this has been answered…

I see the contrast is essentially 3 yrs $53 million. Chandler jones got 3 yrs $52.5 million. Which contracts structure is more team friendly and hoe does Vons extra years work?

The trade-off is that Von's 1st year of the deal will be a low cap hit for us so we can fit it into our limited cap space (spreading the signing bonus over 6 years instead of 3). We will have dead cap on the books (how much remains to be seen) for the last 2-3 years of the deal when it's likely he'll be cut because he is no longer worth the money.

Chandler's deal is more friendly to a team that can afford his large cap number this year. And obviously the Raiders don't have to worry about any dead money if he remains productive and healthy for the next 3 years.

Assuming we get 3 years out of Von we could be looking at dead cap hits of $15M in year 4, $10M in year 5, $5M in year 6 (pure guesses). Obviously not ideal but Beane is banking on the cap going up dramatically over the next few years so those numbers will hurt less than they do now. Still, opportunity cost is that we will most likely miss out on signing some of our own and other FAs as dead money starts to pile up in future years.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

This is a good reminder that our ownership is absolutely committed to a Super Bowl and willing to pay for it. 

I mean the state just gave them a billion dollars so they can make more money off the team so this is the splash they wanted to distract us all from the new stadium. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

A fluke? Neither team had a D that game. It was horrible… wasn’t flukey but it was terrible D.. 

No, it was two teams that each feature an elite, tier 1 QB playing at the top of his game.  I know it's been a couple of years since you've seen what that looks like, so I can see why you'd be confused.

Wait, what am I talking about?  You got a close look at high-quality QB play during WC weekend.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I'd take the penalty if he does this to Mahomes, Wilson, Jones, Tua, take your pick

I was so mad they threw that flag there. It won us the game but it felt cheap(Von has been my favorite player in the league until Josh came)

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

46 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am happy we still have our picks. Watching the Bills play last season, I never got the sense that it was our year. Now, it is starting to feel like this team is being set up to take that next step. 

Imagine adding a playmaker like Jameson Williams next month on top of all of this.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hate to be Eeyore - that's not usually the role I play - but I don't like this signing.   

Look at the production of pass rushers post 33yo.  Von Miller is still a great player but the decline is inevitable.  

And then there's the opportunity cost.  What players will we pass up because  so much money is tied up in Von?   That's my worry.

But, as others have pointed out, the devil is in the (contract) details.  If VM averages 10 sacks for the next few years and the real deal is 4 years at 17mill/year....  maybe Von is almost worth his price.

If you take details reported to date - $45M guaranteed at signing, $51.5 guaranteed overall, and look at the way Beane has structured other contracts...

Josh Allen's for example, which is the same length but 2x the cost....Beane likes to layer signing, option, and roster bonuses to kick in on different years.

He likes to keep salary low the first couple of years, then have a big jump in salary (but the possibility to convert it to signing bonus and spread it out exists).  Sometimes the roster bonuses are fully guaranteed at signing, as a way to spread out the cap hit of a roster bonus but still guarantee the player his $$.  For example, Allen has a $6M 2024 roster bonus that became fully guaranteed on 8/11/2021!  Beane did this with Tre White as well IIRC.

I don't want to speculate, but it's entirely possible that, while the contract averages $17M/yr over the next three years, the cap hit this season is $10M or less.

As far as production, I'd also like to point out that most of the elite pass rushers have more than one player on the line who has to be contained as a threat.  Miller's last double-digit sack season with the Broncos (2018) included Bradley Chubb and Derek Wolfe.  The next year, when Chubb was injured and played only 4 games, Miller's production fell a bit.  So how productive Miller is may depend upon Rousseau and Oliver and anyone else Beane adds - if Settle turns out to be a hidden gem or if Basham takes a step or if Beane drafts someone.

Edit: link to Josh Allen's contract so anyone curious can see the kind of layering I'm referencing

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

Tre' White's contract had similar elements, this an example of how Beane appears to like to structure long, large contracts.

I was curious about the level of production of elite pass rushers at age 33 and beyond, so I went and looked at the stats of Bruce Smith and Reggie White.

At ages 33-37, Bruce had 13.5, 14, 10, 7, and 10 sacks.

At age 33-37, Reggie White had 8, 12, 8.5, 11, and 16 sacks.

You may say “but Logic, those are two Hall of Famers, of course they still produced!”. To which I would say that Von Miller will be a first ballot Hall of Famer, too, and that was why I looked at those two guys. I wanted to see how some elite, HOF edge rushers produced as they aged.

I’m not saying Miller is going to be as productive as those guys, but it is not out of the realm of possibility, either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mikie's Bills said:

The trade-off is that Von's 1st year of the deal will be a low cap hit for us so we can fit it into our limited cap space (spreading the signing bonus over 6 years instead of 3). We will have dead cap on the books (how much remains to be seen) for the last 2-3 years of the deal when it's likely he'll be cut because he is no longer worth the money.

Chandler's deal is more friendly to a team that can afford his large cap number this year. And obviously the Raiders don't have to worry about any dead money if he remains productive and healthy for the next 3 years.

Assuming we get 3 years out of Von we could be looking at dead cap hits of $15M in year 4, $10M in year 5, $5M in year 6 (pure guesses). Obviously not ideal but Beane is banking on the cap going up dramatically over the next few years so those numbers will hurt less than they do now. Still, opportunity cost is that we will most likely miss out on signing some of our own and other FAs as dead money starts to pile up in future years.

Fantastic breakdown. Thanks. Sounds like longer term risk vs immediate rewards. 

Some Bills fans will be pissed off about anything.  Beane sucks, he has no big signings.  Beane sucks he over paid.  Big signings are usually over paid.  Contracts are also not always contracts.  Von Miller won't see 6 years.  Just sit back and relax. This team could have won a super bowl last year and they just got better.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

So this cements that we play the opening game, right?

I would still bet on the Broncos. QBs are the big ticket items. The NFL won't turn down the opportunity to showcase Russell Wilson's return to the NFC West in the first game of the year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.