AZ cuts Jordan Phillips - now signed by Bills

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I guess. I dont know what the difference is. I just know we can save $1.5M cutting Star at some point. If we can get Jordan for that amount, then I'd take that wash.

It's my understanding that we save 1.5 million this season if we cut him before June 1st, but if we cut him afterwards then we can save almost 5 million this season. I'm in no way a salary cap expert but they've said similar on WGR and Cover1.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm all for cutting Star but it's gotta be one of those post June 1 cuts right?

I mean what's best for the Bills is if they can just convince Star to retire.

I kinda feel like Star has already retired. I think you mean convince him to stop taking a paycheck. 😉

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

At this point, barring a Danielle Hunter trade, just try to bring back Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson on inexpensive deals and designate Star a post 6/1 cut.  

Id rather sink or swim with the young guys plus Lawson then spend 7-8M on a JPP/Addison type. 

Oliver, Settle, Phillips & Jones is a strong DL group that provides pass rush ability from the interior.   Hopefully that helps free up our young pass rushers.  

Use that 7-8M elsewhere… OL, WR or CB

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t hate a DL room of Groot, Boogie, AJ, Shaq, Eddy, Settle, Jones, and Phillips. 

I think Groot and Boogie will be your volume sack guys, with Lawson and Epenesa being your “no run zone” guys.

I really hope you're right.  However, there's not one "difference-maker" in this group... ala Chris Jones, Chandler Jones, Matthew Judon, etc.  That's what we need.

As it stands right now, the Bills have:

1T: Daquan Jones, Star Lotulelei, Eli Ankou (practice squad)
3T: Ed Oliver, Tim Settle

I feel like they normally roll with just 4 DTs on the roster, particularly now that they have Basham, who they like to kick inside on third downs.

That said, unless they decide to roll with 5 DTs this year, I'm not sure where Jordan Phillips fits on the roster.

I liked him as a player here, and he brought great energy and was seemingly beloved by his teammates. If they find a spot for him, so be it. He can bring juice as a rotational pass rusher. I just don't think we give game day jerseys to 5 DTs, so unless someone mentioned above is getting cut, one of the five will be inactive every Sunday.

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

It's my understanding that we save 1.5 million this season if we cut him before June 1st, but if we cut him afterwards then we can save almost 5 million this season. I'm in no way a salary cap expert but they've said similar on WGR and Cover1.

Pretty sure your numbers are correct.  Depending on how much more they want to spend, it might make sense to just keep Star and not push out the cap hit to 2023.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

I really hope you're right.  However, there's not one "difference-maker" in this group... ala Chris Jones, Chandler Jones, Matthew Judon, etc.  That's what we need.

Rousseau absolutely could turn into that guy. I'd be thrilled with a trade for Hunter. But I'm not completely discounting Rousseau yet.

2 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

We can beat this horse to death but clearly the FO feels differently.  Otherwise we wouldn’t have 13M tied up in a MLB, preventing us from dropping 17M per on Chandler Jones. 

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Basically,   Settle would have to stay at 1T.     Phillips can't play any 1T.    Turrible, turrible at it.    Might be a disservice to the up and coming Settle.   Doesn't feel like a Beane move but I knew this was coming and thought maybe Phillips and Zimmer might end up as the 3T's.   Jordan Phillips is a $1M-$2M player right now, IMO.

As for the cutting Star part.........

jack-nicholson-creepy-smile.gif

Yeah, def not fair to settle.  We kept 5 DTs last year, maybe we keep the 4 we have and sign Phillip.  

3- Ed, Settle, phillips

1- Jones, Star. 

I’d prefer to get rid of Star too but we could do worse @ backup 1T.  A 4th -5th rd rookie might not be able to hold up if Jones has to miss time.  I trust Star more than most backup 1Ts.  

Just now, NewEra said:

Yeah, def not fair to settle.  We kept 5 DTs last year, maybe we keep the 4 we have and sign Phillip.  

3- Ed, Settle, phillips

1- Jones, Star. 

I’d prefer to get rid of Star too but we could do worse @ backup 1T.  A 4th -5th rd rookie might not be able to hold up if Jones has to miss time.  I trust Star more than most backup 1Ts.  

They have Ankou as well. I just don’t see them keeping two 1’s active on Gameday. 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

At this point, barring a Danielle Hunter trade, just try to bring back Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson on inexpensive deals and designate Star a post 6/1 cut.  

Id rather sink or swim with the young guys plus Lawson then spend 7-8M on a JPP/Addison type. 

Oliver, Settle, Phillips & Jones is a strong DL group that provides pass rush ability from the interior.   Hopefully that helps free up our young pass rushers.  

Use that 7-8M elsewhere… OL, WR or CB

Addison won't 6-7 million, at most I'd guess 3.5 million and he can get to the QB. That said someone younger be nicer as it could be a long term need.

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They have Ankou as well. I just don’t see them keeping two 1’s active on Gameday. 

They’ll have the option to vs certain matchups and insurance in case a huge massive dude gets hurt.  Not having a viable backup 1T can be a huge issue if jones goes down for any time.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.