Chandler Jones signing with Raiders - 3 years, $52.5 mill

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Chandler Jones signing with Raiders - 3 years, $52.5 mill
Just now, John from Riverside said:

We dont even have that kind of cap space......do we?

Nope.  

Would take a lot of maneuvering to get space to make a big move.  Have some big ticket items coming down the pike in Knox and Poyer.  Maybe Edmunds.

Heck, Tarron Johnson is a cap hit of  9.25 million next year!

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Ooooof. Yeah. That's not a sustainable number.

Let's see what numbers Hughes has been hearing.

Dont care about this anymore!!!

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So the Raiders effectively paid the same rate for Chandler Jones that we are for Von FREAKING Miller.

Beane is a wizard.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It must really suck being a fan of a top 5 team in the NFL

What a 🤡must be sad life always settling for second or third best. That’s what losers do…

5 hours ago, Tanoros said:

What bad contracts contributed to the mild mismanagement of the cap? As far as FA signings the Star signing was probably the worst, but more so because of his c19 opt out year (we’d be able to move on with very little hit this year if not for that). 

The Spain resigning wasn’t great, and the Williams resigning (in hindsight, but at the time, it was the right call). 

Beane hasn’t really paid big bucks for FA’s and he has generally resigned our own to reasonable contracts. 

I really don’t understand where a comment like yours if coming from? The Bills FO is more about developing talent that is drafted, and they won’t all be star players. But, they have done a good job drafting overall and we are only going into year 6, but year 5 of Beane as GM. 

Personally, I feel like Beane and the Bills FO have done a fantastic job! They don’t typically overlay for FA, mostly by avoiding the big ticket names, they draft well, and are very reasonable with contracts. They even had to adjust course with the c19 impacts to the salary cap. 

We are one of the top teams in the league, and our cap situation isn’t bad at. At this point, our key to success is to continue drafting well, having starters on rookie contracts and, and savvy via cost benefit analysis in regards to FA signings (in other words, don’t overpay for the big names because it’s rare that they play up to their cost). 

Name a difference maker besides Josh or Diggs? Until today, Beane has never been creative with the cap, maybe he was waiting for the team to be ready. Sorry you wasted all this time typing out this useless drivel, he has always signed middling players paying too much for too little hopefully that has changed.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I understand the cap.  They could have made room, done a long term deal, etc to spread things out.  That's not what Beane does.  He never maxes out his credit card.  His  moves are measured and look at the long term effects.   I would have loved Chandler Jones, too.  Just not at that price tag.

You were saying?  Keep the cap stuff to the big boys. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

You were saying?  Keep the cap stuff to the big boys. 

Look at what I said in the Von Miller thread.  Von Miller is the type of player you DO break the bank for.  He plays big in big games...especially the playoffs.  Chandler Jones is not that player.  So...no...I still wouldn't have broken the bank for Jones and likely Beane wasn't willing to do that either.  Von Miller is a totally different story.  This move was measured by Beane...and very stealthily done.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.