Analysis of Bills FA so far (prior to new league year) - Put your links or thoughts here

Hapless Bills Fan

So far...

• In:
    • Rodger Saffold, G
    • Tim Settle, DT
    • DaQuan Jones, DT
    •  
  • Out:
    • Mitchell Trubisky, G
    • Jon Feliciano, G
    • Daryl Williams, G
    • Harrison Phillips, DT
    • AJ Klein, LB
    • Levi Wallace, CB
  • TBD
    • Taiwan Jones, RB
    • Matt Breida
    • Emmanuel Sanders, WR
    • Ike Boettger, G
    • Bobby Hart, T
    • Vernon Butler, DT
    • Justin Zimmer, DT
    • Jerry Hughes, DE
    • Mario Addison, DE
    • Bryan Cox, DE
    • Efe Obada, DE

😬

Edited by junior

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Just to recap, Beane came out firing in his post-season PC about how the team needs to add talent at pass rusher, receiver, o-line and in the secondary.

So far, they've:

- Tried and failed to sign a 3rd down back

- Lost their starting CB and starting 3T

- Replaced the 3T with another veteran

- Added a 1T to back up Oliver

- Let their RG walk

- Signed a 34 year-old LG to a 1-year deal

- Extended their veteran center and a special teams/safety hybrid

Am I missing anything?  Nothing has happened.  They've done nothing.  Of course it's beyond early, they have months to patch some holes, but this is the opposite of an aggressive start to the offseason.  It's been sleepier than a Jim Jarmusch movie.

You forgot to mention they didn't have a lot of cap room to make moves so you can't blame them for, early as it is, 1st week of UFA.  

Or...say that Beane is a wizard.  Come on CT!  :lol:

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

- Lost their starting CB and starting 3T

- Replaced the 3T with another veteran

- Added a 1T to back up Oliver

Um, No.

The Bills starting 3TDT is Ed Oliver.  He's still here for 2 years; the Bills will undoubtedly pick up his 5th year option.

We did sign an additional guy to play 3TDT (that's Settle), he more or less replaces who we thought Vernon Butler could be.    Did you want us to re-sign Butler?

We did lose the guy who ended the season as our starting 1TDT - but Phillips also started the season as a "healthy scratch" for several games and played behind Lotulelei.   Given "the best ability is availability" I'm not certain it woulda been a great move to give a 3 year contract to a guy who has basically played less than 2 seasons of the last 3 seasons due to injury.

And we added a 1TDT to back up Lotulelei.

Details I know, but if you're going to kvetch get the details right.

- Let their RG walk

- Signed a 34 year-old LG to a 1-year deal

- Extended their veteran center and a special teams/safety hybrid

Am I missing anything?

Yes.  The difference between a 1TDT and a 3TDT and who plays what role for the Bills, apparently.

Also failed to distinguish between "let walk" and "cut" for our RG

(and between a Dime back and a safety hybrid but that last is a nit)

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, junior said:

So far...

• In:
    • Rodger Saffold, G
    • Tim Settle, DT
    • DaQuan Jones, DT
    •  
  • Out:
    • Jon Feliciano, G
    • Daryl Williams, G
    • Harrison Phillips, DT
    • AJ Klein, LB
    • Levi Wallace, CB
  • TBD
    • Mitchell Trubisky, QB
    • Taiwan Jones, RB
    • Matt Breida
    • Emmanuel Sanders, WR
    • Ike Boettger, G
    • Bobby Hart, T
    • Vernon Butler, DT
    • Justin Zimmer, DT
    • Jerry Hughes, DE
    • Mario Addison, DE
    • Bryan Cox, DE
    • Efe Obada, DE

😬

Trubisky signed with Pittsburgh

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, No.

The Bills starting 3TDT is Ed Oliver.  He's still here for 2 years; the Bills will undoubtedly pick up his 5th year option.

We did sign an additional guy to play 3TDT (that's Settle), he more or less replaces who we thought Vernon Butler could be.    Did you want us to re-sign Butler?

We did lose the guy who ended the season as our starting 1TDT - but Phillips also started the season as a "healthy scratch" for several games and played behind Lotulelei.   Given "the best ability is availability" I'm not certain it woulda been a great move to give a 3 year contract to a guy who has basically played less than 2 seasons of the last 3 seasons due to injury.

Yes.  The difference between a 1TDT and a 3TDT and who plays what role for the Bills, apparently.

You're right, I confused 1T and 3T in my post.  You got me.  I mean you could've just pointed that out, and frankly if I had responded like you just did, I'd probably be hearing about it FROM YOU, but whatever.  Please consider my post amended to switch 1T and 3T, next time I'll be more careful while I'm posting during a work conference call.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, No.

I got a good chuckle out of that.

Wish all the best for Harrison, quality man   had some injury issues . I always thought he was a bit undersized.  I dont think he will be greatly missed.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

No one follows the team to make the playoffs.  Maybe you are, but most aren't. 

Point is it's a credential people use to declare criticism unwarranted.  It shouldn't be. Kind of like NHL coach of the year...that's practically a harbinger of things to come. 

Yes, I understand that, and your point is valid about unwarranted criticism.

Yet your example comes off as if the Bills are in a state of turmoil because of Beane, and I don't see it that way.

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane likes to go to the Porche dealership on a Saturday morning, waste the sales’ staff time making a loud show of being interested in a brand-new sporty vehicle, then get back in his comfy 2003 Honda and drive off, patting himself on the back for not unnecessarily splurging on luxury.  We do this charade every year.  On the way home he’ll stop at Chipotle and overpay for guacamole just to allow himself a li’l treat and prove that he’s not cheap.

Maybe the most accurate description of Beane I've ever read.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Beane likes to go to the Porche dealership on a Saturday morning, waste the sales’ staff time making a loud show of being interested in a brand-new sporty vehicle, then get back in his comfy 2003 Honda and drive off, patting himself on the back for not unnecessarily splurging on luxury.  We do this charade every year.  On the way home he’ll stop at Chipotle and overpay for guacamole just to allow himself a li’l treat and prove that he’s not cheap.

I don't always agree with your posts, but I do here 😁. Love this analogy.

Edited by junior
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel you've accurately described Beane's approach.  Here's the problem with that approach: some of us (myself included) have concerns that while it may keep us in contention, it may keep us from taking the final step to Championship level.

There are a few positions which are expensive to acquire in FA, but also very difficult to acquire for a good team that is drafting late in the 1st round.  QB is one.  Pass rusher, Edge or DE, is another.  CB is a third.

Beane got his starting QB and his #1 CB.  In contrast to our previous GM, he "did what it took".  But he seems unwilling to take the needed steps to obtain that top-tier pass rusher that most of us think we need, all the while reiterating a consistent theme in his last 3 "end of season" pressers that we need to do more to "affect the  QB" we are facing.

Maybe one of the guys we got (Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, now Settle) will take that step and become That Guy.  Maybe we'll get someone in this draft who becomes that guy.  Maybe some of us are wrong that a top-tier pass rusher is a critical unmet need.

Or maybe Beane needs to stop filling his trunk with dresses from the markdown rack and go for that kicky MiuMiu number

This is the opposing view, really well stated.  I will admit to being an adherent to the philosophy you describe, although I've been somewhat won over by McBeane, because I'm homer.  I remember our previous GM saying once you have room for six relatively big contracts.   He said the six contracts are for the QB, left tackle, premier edge, premier corner, and one more somewhere for each of the offense and defense.   It struck me as the right formula.   

Problem is that when I looked around, not all the winning franchises were built that way.   Certainly not the Patriots, and I was hard-pressed to find many others. 

What you say is a simpler, more flexible version of the same thing - you have to have a few big contracts, because you need a few premier players, not just the QB.  Makes sense to me.

Problem is, it's pretty clear that McBeane don't believe that's how you build long-term success.   They seem to be of the view that the way you win is (1) get your QB and (2) fill up your roster with a lot of good players (but not necessarily great).  They think greatness will emerge.  Your view is (1) get your QB, (2) get one or two other elite players at key positions, and (3) fill up your roster with a lot of good players.   The difference between the two approaches is that your step (2) limits the quality of your step (3) by eating $15 million of cap space a year.   I'm not arguing with it - I'm just examining what it means to go one way or the other.   

McBeane seem to think that they don't have to acquire elite guys in your step (2), that if they evaluate talent well and are strategic in their drafting, an elite guy or two will emerge from the draft.  So, what we see from Beane is stockpiling draft picks so he can trade up in round one when he sees a guy who is too good to have fallen, and so he can trade up in round 2 for more or less the same reason.   He's done it over and over.   

As I said earlier, as we watch this team mature, it will be interesting to see if Beane goes after an elite veteran in free agency here or there.   Hasn't done it yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.