Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like what the panthers are doing. Just keep kicking the tires on qbs until you find one. Baker will never be a top 10 qb but the hate has gone too far on him. Carolina is a sneaky playoff team. 

They're doing what the drought era bills did at first. Which didn't work.

Rob Johnson doug flutie (Mayfield and Darnold).

Next you try and sign a aging qb that is actually good once your done dumpster diving. But he's old or maybe you get 2 years of time.

You eventually (if you want sustained success) need to draft one and get lucky.

As a fan it's depressing and miserable because their is no hope for a high ceiling with these guys and you can see your doomed to mediocrity.

Edited by Sharky7337

15 hours ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

Well, they are unlikely to be saying nice things about him are they? The worse they make him sound, the less stupid they sound in trading for Watson.

Well, there were some stories even before they got Watson, for example, the mess with OBJ, and the adult in the room comment.  Duke Johnson also doesn't seem to think much of Baker.   

On 7/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Obviously, you haven’t heard the latest. Many reports out of Cleveland now state he was detested there. Selfish, arrogant, undisciplined and immature. Characteristics every NFL fan knows. Think about it, this woebegone franchise selected him #1 overall, but after just his 2nd season, they were done with him and would never pay him a 2nd contract. It’s seems evident they had no problem rubbing it in his face with the Watson trade. 
My take; He’ll be out of the League in 3 years. 

He would make a decent back up for a team, that may very well be his place if he is around long term…, or not,

On 7/11/2022 at 10:58 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Obviously, you haven’t heard the latest. Many reports out of Cleveland now state he was detested there. Selfish, arrogant, undisciplined and immature. Characteristics every NFL fan knows. Think about it, this woebegone franchise selected him #1 overall, but after just his 2nd season, they were done with him and would never pay him a 2nd contract. It’s seems evident they had no problem rubbing it in his face with the Watson trade. 
My take; He’ll be out of the League in 3 years. 

My “from a long ways away” viewpoint on Baker is that he doesn’t appear to be a guy who takes very much accountability when things aren’t going well — very much a “blame and make excuses” guy rather than a “look at myself” guy.  Obviously I’ve not been in the locker room so this is just an outsider’s opinion.

I think Baker has the talent to be a “decent” NFL QB and have a lengthy career, if he ever learns to adapt and grow as an adult.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:20 PM, Limeaid said:

Maybe he gets commercial for moving company.

What was the company which moved Browns out of town in middle of the night?

Mayflower but I thought it was the Colts that snuck out of town?

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, Billy Claude said:

Well, there were some stories even before they got Watson, for example, the mess with OBJ, and the adult in the room comment.  Duke Johnson also doesn't seem to think much of Baker.   

The Browns deny making the “adult in the QB room” comment. I think that is just PR BS.  It certainly fits with him playing Halo for 10 hours the day before the GB game in which he played horribly, threw 4 INTs and didn’t seem to know the game plan.  He was pretty much single handedly responsible for the 24-22 loss.  The Halo marathon was Christmas Day and he had been out that week due to Covid protocol.  It seems indisputable since some random kid who played the game with him tweeted about it that day.

https://366sportsnetwork.com/2022/07/09/baker-mayfield-divided-locker-room-played-10-hours-of-video-games-a-day-prior-to-big-december-game/

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

This character stuff coming out about Mayfield after his time in Cleveland is strange. How didn’t NFL teams, or at least the Browns see these red flags? He was an immensely successful college QB, but I also never seen a QB act so immature on the field. If that’s how a guy is when the cameras are on, it’s hard to believe it’s not worse when they’re off. I distinctly remember Mayfield’s college career more for his lewd gestures and antics than on field play. I was rooting for the guy in Cleveland, because he was fun to watch, but it’s hard to believe no one was aware of the risk. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

This character stuff coming out about Mayfield after his time in Cleveland is strange. How didn’t NFL teams, or at least the Browns see these red flags? He was an immensely successful college QB, but I also never seen a QB act so immature on the field. If that’s how a guy is when the cameras are on, it’s hard to believe it’s not worse when they’re off. I distinctly remember Mayfield’s college career more for his lewd gestures and antics than on field play. I was rooting for the guy in Cleveland, because he was fun to watch, but it’s hard to believe no one was aware of the risk. 

He’s really good when he has a boulder on his shoulder 

but …. Only then 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yeah come on Mike Rob stop it! Baker isn’t that great but he is definitely a top 32 QB and when healthy and has at least an average roster around him would likely be in the top half of the league (top 16). We all know this planet never has 32 franchise QBs in existence at the same time and while I would agree he isn’t a franchise guy (which has so much more to it than talent), he is certainly a starter quality player no doubt. Now way you can name 32 QBs you’d take over Baker and be serious about it.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.