Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They don't. Never said they did. But the fact is he was injured most of last year with a torn labrum in his left shoulder requiring surgery.  He played through the pain. Allen played a few of his worst games with a labrum injury too. A healthy Mayfield is a middle of the road starting QB in this league.  

I'm not even a Baker fan. I had him ranked below Allen and Rosen and just above Darnold. 

I think Baker is a starter in the league, but he has no elite skills and I had him behind only Darnold so I’m not going to be interviewing for any NFL scouting positions anytime soon.

I know this much…  You can’t draft short, average arm, below average athlete QBs with the 1st overall pick.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Interesting take. I agree Keenum is solid. Will be very interesting to see what Trubisky does. I think he still can be a solid starter in the right setting. 

I'm higher on Mayfield than most. He got his team to the playoffs and played KC better than Allen did in 2020. 

Tua is a great unknown. Impressive completion percentage with a rag arm.  And can he stay healthy?  He has as good a supporting cast as anyone now.

Good post. I in the camp that Baker is above average starting QB. Not a franchise QB and not worth the number #1 overall pick. He played hurt much of last year and did play decently as you stated previous years. I think this is very good pick up for the Panthers. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Interesting take. I agree Keenum is solid. Will be very interesting to see what Trubisky does. I think he still can be a solid starter in the right setting. 

I'm higher on Mayfield than most. He got his team to the playoffs and played KC better than Allen did in 2020. 

Tua is a great unknown. Impressive completion percentage with a rag arm.  And can he stay healthy?  He has as good a supporting cast as anyone now.

The Browns played KC better than the Bills, but not because of Baker, who did not play better than Allen.

35 minutes ago, julian said:

I think Baker is a starter in the league, but he has no elite skills and I had him behind only Darnold so I’m not going to be interviewing for any NFL scouting positions anytime soon.

I know this much…  You can’t draft short, average arm, below average athlete QBs with the 1st overall pick.

Average athlete and above average arm strength (not elite) when healthy.  The problem is he's below average under pressure and Carolina had major trouble protecting the passer last year.  If that doesn't change it won't be pretty for him.

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I gave this a like because in theory it could be really interesting to say the least if somehow it ended up being Watson v Mayfield.

In reality though, it will likely see Darnold v the Browns backup QB. There is no way that Mayfield will beat out Darnold at training camp whilst he is learning the playbook.

Nothing to see here.

McAdoo's scheme is pretty vanilla so it pry won't take that much time for Baker to learn it.  It should be a fun camp battle.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They don't. Never said they did. But the fact is he was injured most of last year with a torn labrum in his left shoulder requiring surgery.  He played through the pain. Allen played a few of his worst games with a labrum injury too. A healthy Mayfield is a middle of the road starting QB in this league.  

I'm not even a Baker fan. I had him ranked below Allen and Rosen and just above Darnold. 

Panthers and Mayfield should try to get Alex Van Pelt on coaching staff.  

Alex Van Pelt has supported Baker the full time and rebuilt his QB style to a NFL one.

I tore both of my labrum shoveling snow and could barely get arm above my head. 

In addition to torn labrium Baker Mayfield had a fractured shoulder socket.  

That he was able to throw with any kind of accuracy is amazing.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/report-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-has-upper-arm-fracture-in-addition-to-shoulder-injury

Jay Glazer

@JayGlazer

Breaking: Baker Mayfield tells me in addition to his torn labrum he also fractured his humerus bone (shoulder) according to a scan this week. Baker said the fracture is preventing his rotator cuff from firing.

@NFLonFOX

(1/2)

It is very ironic that the Browns traded Texans for QB when Mayfield was injured in game vs Texans.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Panthers and Mayfield should try to get Alex Van Pelt on coaching staff.  

Alex Van Pelt has supported Baker the full time and rebuilt his QB style to a NFL one.

I tore both of my labrum shoveling snow and could barely get arm above my head. 

In addition to torn labrium Baker Mayfield had a fractured shoulder socket.  

That he was able to throw with any kind of accuracy is amazing.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/report-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-has-upper-arm-fracture-in-addition-to-shoulder-injury

Jay Glazer

@JayGlazer

Breaking: Baker Mayfield tells me in addition to his torn labrum he also fractured his humerus bone (shoulder) according to a scan this week. Baker said the fracture is preventing his rotator cuff from firing.

@NFLonFOX

(1/2)

It is very ironic that the Browns traded Texans for QB when Mayfield was injured in game vs Texans.

Van Pelt is the Browns OC. How are the Panthers getting him?

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Average athlete and above average arm strength (not elite) when healthy.  The problem is he's below average under pressure and Carolina had major trouble protecting the passer last year.  If that doesn't change it won't be pretty for him.

McAdoo's scheme is pretty vanilla so it pry won't take that much time for Baker to learn it.  It should be a fun camp battle.

Bob McAdoo is back? I missed that.

8 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I gave this a like because in theory it could be really interesting to say the least if somehow it ended up being Watson v Mayfield.

In reality though, it will likely see Darnold v the Browns backup QB. There is no way that Mayfield will beat out Darnold at training camp whilst he is learning the playbook.

Nothing to see here.

Mayfield is the starter day one. Darnold is awful and the Panthers know that. It’s why they have been trying to replace him since mid season last year. I’m sure they have been trying to trade Darnold all off-season and they just traded for his replacement 

• Like (+1) 1

One of the interesting things with Baker is you always hear the Browns fans defending him and many in sports media trumpet that he is not to blame, but former teammates say nothing. If the Bills traded Josh Allen 2 years ago before he fully blossomed, Shady etc would have made some positive comments about Josh.  The silence has been and remains curious.

7 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Pretty interesting that in week one, Mayfield will be playing against a team that will be paying him twice as much as the team he is playing for.

1.  If I am a gambler, I steer clear of this game. 😁

2.  As Douglas Adams wrote, "put your analyst on danger money."  A bit arcane, but the H2G2 fans will 'get it'.

8 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Nothing to see here.

Way.

Not that I'm saying it will happen, but it's far within the range of possibilities.

28 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

1.  If I am a gambler, I steer clear of this game. 😁

2.  As Douglas Adams wrote, "put your analyst on danger money."  A bit arcane, but the H2G2 fans will 'get it'.

I don't know what H2G2 or danger money is but week one and two NFL is when most of the weird stuff happens. Teams are still working out kinks that a month later seem ridiculous, so this game right here is one that I would avoid since nothing is settled.

42 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

One of the interesting things with Baker is you always hear the Browns fans defending him and many in sports media trumpet that he is not to blame, but former teammates say nothing. If the Bills traded Josh Allen 2 years ago before he fully blossomed, Shady etc would have made some positive comments about Josh.  The silence has been and remains curious.

Baker has a fiery personality that can rub people the wrong way. I could see him as a love him or hate him type guy. He is probably a lot more likable when they are winning 

49 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Personal bias aside, Baker seems like a douche bag and Allen seems like a nice person. 

Allen knows the line between cocky and confident, Baker tends to live on one side of it. 

JMO.

• Agree 1

Well as they say actions speak louder than words & by Haslems actions i'd say his comments in the article he penned to thank Mayfield means little of nothing to quell the bad feelings that Mayfield should have after what he had done & given to that team .

I really hope this Watson thing bights Haslem right in the ass because he deserves what ever it is that he gets & given the amount of time that Watson has not played could be a death sentence to his game .

I know he is still young but if the NFL decides to suspend him as they should for at least 1 year that would mean not playing a real game for at least 2 full seasons he may have a ton of rust not to mention being older & his body not being use to the riggers of the game .

Then how do you root for a guy like that i know winning changes every thing but Come on man given the amount of people that are saying the same thing about the guy he's a huge scum bag & i don't know who would want to hook their wagon to that guy let alone pay him $230 million ...

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.