Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

A #1 overall pick in the draft and the Browns in return get a conditional 5th round pick in two years. What a lousy deal. Plus, the Browns scumbag QB might not even play this year. Mark Jimmy Haslam as the dumbest owner in the NFL and Dan Synder as the worst.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2056842-a-homeless-person-reportedly-told-browns-jimmy-haslam-to-draft-johnny-manziel

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Josh’s eventual backup 

I think Keenum is a but better than Darnold so I’m no.

We’ve struck it gold twice with Mitch last year, and now Keenum.

As far as the trade, it sounds like Baker has a $15 mil. Opportunity to prove himself, the Browns split with the Panthers the $15.5 mil.  

At Least Mayfield took his guaranteed $ down from $18.8 to $15.5 mil.

Fair all the way around and a desperate HC on his 3rd year needs a win.  That will be tough going against New Orleans and Tampa twice.

I know Winston is not the best, but they have a good team, and he did go 5-2 before his injury.  The Bucs are the Bucs.  They have the AFCN, and the NFCW.  Not an easy schedule.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Literally the entire world will be rooting for Baker and the Panthers.

I seriously doubt the football watching world particularly cares about Mayfield or hates the Browns. The latter just kept sledgehammering their own knees which isnt particularly must-watch TV. If Watson were to play (chances are slim to none) then we may have boo-ing interests.  

All Carolina needs to do is sign Josh Rosen & they can corner the market on top 10 QB disappointments of the 2018 NFL draft.  If they then cut Rosen, he can say "Two mistakes were made on the QB depth chart ahead of me, and I will make sure over the next decade or so that they will know that they made a mistake."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Panthers will pay $4.85 million of Mayfield's salary while the Browns will pay $10.5 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Mayfield agreed to convert the remainder of his $18.8 million salary into incentives to facilitate the deal, which is pending a physical. Mayfield can earn back that money based on team performance, a source said.

Well played by Carolina.

I assume they showed no urgency and Baker had to have told whoever was trading for him he's going to go where he wants the best situation the best chance to start and the best place to start his career again.  He had to have some possibly a lot of leverage.  

I thought Seattle was going to get him.  I guess he didn't want to go there?  Whatever they are doing is just mind boggling.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

With Mayfield going to Carolina I wonder what happens with Darnold. He is starting to reach BUST territory if he hasn't already. 

Yeah I think after year three you can pretty much say Bust.  He is going into year 5 and has done absolutely nothing but lose.    He is a Bust.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I think Keenum is a but better than Darnold so I’m no.

We’ve struck it gold twice with Mitch last year, and now Keenum.

As far as the trade, it sounds like Baker has a $15 mil. Opportunity to prove himself, the Browns split with the Panthers the $15.5 mil.  

At Least Mayfield took his guaranteed $ down from $18.8 to $15.5 mil.

Fair all the way around and a desperate HC on his 3rd year needs a win.  That will be tough going against New Orleans and Tampa twice.

I know Winston is not the best, but they have a good team, and he did go 5-2 before his injury.  The Bucs are the Bucs.  They have the AFCN, and the NFCW.  Not an easy schedule.

lol Mitch was "gold"?

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Panthers will pay $4.85 million of Mayfield's salary while the Browns will pay $10.5 million, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Mayfield agreed to convert the remainder of his $18.8 million salary into incentives to facilitate the deal, which is pending a physical. Mayfield can earn back that money based on team performance, a source said.

I think it would be funny if Darnold beats him out & the incentives are for number of wins & Darnold gets Baker paid by winning enough games.  

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Well played by Carolina.

I assume they showed no urgency and Baker had to have told whoever was trading for him he's going to go where he wants the best situation the best chance to start and the best place to start his career again.  He had to have some possibly a lot of leverage.  

I thought Seattle was going to get him.  I guess he didn't want to go there?  Whatever they are doing is just mind boggling.  

The Seahawks need a top to bottom reboot. I have no idea what they are doing this year. They acquired some decent talent at a lot of positions. If they had a quarterback, they might actually be a good team. Mayfield is leaps and bounds better than what they have. If they go into the season with Drew Lock or Geno Smith as their starter, what hope do they have?

Mark me down as a believer that Mayfield will do well in Carolina and the Panthers will be in playoff contention.

Mind you, I don’t think Baker will ever be a league MVP candidate or anything. I DO think he’s NFL starting caliber. A top 20 option, let’s say. 

Support him with a quality defense and running game and he’ll make the playoffs more years than not.

Mayfield’s gonna be playing with a massive chip on his shoulder. I truly believe he’ll have a good season.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.