Baker Mayfield says goodbye to Cleveland (update - Traded to Panthers)

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

My ego is readily available to take a dent……..for $18+ Million!   :)

Yep.  Especially when they said he wasn't "adult" enough.  If I had anything to say to Baker it would be stay stoic through the ***** storm.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, maddenboy said:

I disagree

Mayfield needs to show up and play football, if they ask him, in order to collect his $18MM.  Otherwise, "conduct detrimental" and such.  Whoever thinks that if Watson is suspended, the Browns will just say "welp, we Did do Mayfield wrong, so lets just let him sit home and collect free money while we roll with Jacoby?"

Not I. 

And Mayfield needs to play Well in order to cash in on his future prospects.  He cant just show up and play like shtt, with the excuse that "wink-nudge, you all know the Real Me is a much better qb than this, but i'm sandbagging this season."  Because yeah.  No Baker, nobody 'knows' that your ***** play will be on purpose.

His contract is guaranteed against injury, a bruised ego is pretty serious stuff.

If I'm Baker and the bumbling Browns somehow cant/dont pull off a trade this year, then I am more than happy to sit out, sacrifice the $18M, and be a free agent next year.

He's made money, and he'll make plenty of more money. The Browns can get something in return for him, or lose the asset completely.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If I'm Baker and the bumbling Browns somehow cant/dont pull off a trade this year, then I am more than happy to sit out, sacrifice the $18M, and be a free agent next year.

He's made money, and he'll make plenty of more money. The Browns can get something in return for him, or lose the asset completely.

18 mil is a lot of reasons to show up and play. He's in a tough spot but the Browns could also offer him more money to show up if they can't work out a trade. 

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

18 mil is a lot of reasons to show up and play. He's in a tough spot but the Browns could also offer him more money to show up if they can't work out a trade. 

It is. Especially to you and I. But he doesnt need it right now, and will be making much more next year either way. I'm all about players getting as much as they can, as quickly as they can. But f%&k the Browns, and Baker is in a position to do just that if presented the opportunity.

He really isnt in that tough a spot. He either gets traded and paid to play, or he sits home and enjoys his previously-earned money and stays healthy for a season, and then comes back next year as a free agent making $30M+/year.

If he chooses to ever play for the Browns again, that's his choice.

47 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It is. Especially to you and I. But he doesnt need it right now, and will be making much more next year either way. I'm all about players getting as much as they can, as quickly as they can. But f%&k the Browns, and Baker is in a position to do just that if presented the opportunity.

He really isnt in that tough a spot. He either gets traded and paid to play, or he sits home and enjoys his previously-earned money and stays healthy for a season, and then comes back next year as a free agent making $30M+/year.

If he chooses to ever play for the Browns again, that's his choice.

He's made 33 million over 4 years.  He would make more than half that for 1 more year.

He absolutely should show up.  if they bench him, who cares--he gets the 18M to watch the place burn. 

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's made 33 million over 4 years.  He would make more than half that for 1 more year.

He absolutely should show up.  if they bench him, who cares--he gets the 18M to watch the place burn. 

Your opinion, my opinion. If I'm him with a bum shoulder, I'm not risking further injury for that team and would be happy to take this time to work out any remaining kinks from his various injuries. If you want to play for an extra $18M, go for it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Browns got almost nothing for Mayfield...I wonder if this means they believe Watson will not face a lengthy suspension....

It was more of they burned the bridge with him and he had a high salary and almost no suitors. 

Just now, aristocrat said:

It was more of they burned the bridge with him and he had a high salary and almost no suitors. 

Certainly true, but I would think it would still be better than going into the season with Jacoby Brissett...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.